“And Our Glasses Are Fogging Up Again" August 2019 Trip Report

Anne

I feel your pain. We somehow manage to hit Holy Days of Obligation a lot on our trips too. It's kind of a transportation curve ball for us because we usually only rent a car for 1-2 days just to get us to Mass on Sunday. Add a HDoO and we end up with a car all week.

Glad you are still working on the report!

mgarbowski

Day 6 Friday - Animal Kingdom and MNNSHP

On the last day of the trip we went back to the first place we visited -- Animal Kingdom. We also had tickets for the first night of MNSSHP, so perfect for mid-August. We scheduled AK today because it made it possible to get Flight of Passage FP+ at a reasonable time. It also worked out because we booked Tiffins for a late lunch in place of a dinner sit down ADR which would just take time away from the Halloween party.

I’ll run through the basics quickly. We had FP+ for Everest, Safari and FOP. DW and I sat out Everest so the girls could ride twice.We all rode Safari, the second time this trip, except for Big Girl wasn’t here when we rode on Day 1. We kept checking times for Dinosaur on the app, and they were all over the place, much like Jungle Cruise was during our MK day. We rode Flight of Passage after lunch.

At this point Dinosaur was showing a very reasonable wait, probably around 20 minutes, so we decided to walk all the way across the park, but when we got there, it was mild chaos. Some people were walking away from the entrance saying it was down. But the timer above the entrance was showing it as open and with the same reasonable standby wait. The CMs had no idea and shrugged their shoulders when asked what was up. Meanwhile the line is the longest I have ever seen for Dinosaur, extending outside and to the right of the entrance. I had never previously seen it like this, and always have been able to enter, and turn left to go inside the ride building. We figure 20 minutes is impossible, but maybe there was some sort of shut down that was cleared and things could go quickly. So we enter, but after about 10 minutes of minimal progress we abandon. I don’t remember the ride wait time indicator ever being so , so far off from reality. It’s not terrible. Dinosaur is fun, but not a must do, and nobody is too broken up that we missed out on it this trip. But walking all the way from Pandora to Dinoland on a hot, humid summer day for nought was less than ideal.

So, we salvaged something by meeting Chip and Dale dressed as dinosaurs.We had no idea this was a thing. But it was fun.

33d87d84-171b-436d-aaeb-b8461cffd10a.jpg

Chip (or is this Dale) was enthralled by my Mickey Polaroid camera.

1957b310-2168-4665-97d2-8377cdefc8aa.jpg

WDW2019028.jpg

c9a50c66-e369-467a-a426-995a9ed09b9c.jpg

Then after a break in the room, it’s time for:

IMG-8261.jpg

That was taken on the way out. It was still daylight when we entered. I note that for the first time all week I scanned in on the first try (check the Tuesday entry for details on how the finger scan failed for me the entire trip). It was good to have it finally work once and go out on a high note.

Now, before I tell you what we did at the Party, let’s recap a few things. On Tuesday we paid for a buffet lunch so we could meet Pooh and his friends. Also on Tuesday we stood in line (admittedly not very long) to meet with Stitch. Then on Wednesday we paid for breakfast at ‘Ohana so we could meet with Stitch (& Lilo) again. Now we’re at a party where we’ve paid yet another substantial add on fee and we basically spend most of our time doing 2 things. We met with Stitch (dressed as Elvis) and we met with Pooh and friends (dressed in assorted costumes).

WDW2019029.jpg

bb5d6768-315f-410d-bfc3-d7d3bcf11d45.jpg

WDW2019030.jpg

99fb4fca-b2ea-4036-bf51-087b0f48f330.jpg

And that’s pretty much a wrap for the trip and this report. After the Pooh and friends meet we caught the tail end of the parade, and then the fireworks show. The girls also did some shopping in between Elvis Stitch and the Pooh gang.

I’m sure I missed various details and moments because it took so long to finish this, but it was a good trip. The heat and rain really didn’t affect us too much beyond the repeatedly fogged up glasses and some brief spot showers.We will be back this summer, and continue with summer trips until schedules change again.

Thanks for your report! We're going at the end of August (our first summer trip as well) and this was really helpful. Never thought of the problems with glasses fogging, because I don't wear them, but now my two girls do... Got me thinking - do you ever have problems wearing glasses on rides? (I lost a pair of sunglasses on a roller coaster once when I forgot to take them off.) Something we weren't dealing with yet on our previous trips...

mgarbowski

Thanks for your report! We're going at the end of August (our first summer trip as well) and this was really helpful. Never thought of the problems with glasses fogging, because I don't wear them, but now my two girls do... Got me thinking - do you ever have problems wearing glasses on rides? (I lost a pair of sunglasses on a roller coaster once when I forgot to take them off.) Something we weren't dealing with yet on our previous trips...
Glasses are generally and pretty universally wearable on WDW rides. I'm sure there have been some scattered incidents, but generally most people wear their glasses on every ride without loss or injury. I used to remove them on a few: ToT, RnRc, Space Mountain, maybe a couple others. But now I keep them on. Now I might vary that if I'm ever in WDW while my glasses are especially loose, or prone to popping a lens, which happens every now and then. Some glasses tend to do that, especially after you owned them a couple of years. But in normal conditions it should be fine.

Now kids, well, they should also be fine, but sometimes kids just have a way of having things go wrong. You might try something like these if it gives you greater comfort.

3dadknight

Thanks for finishing up the report. You and I used to crank out Trip Reports within days or weeks of the trip. This one took you 6 months! Don’t worry. I had a trip last June with my wife and a trip last September with my daughter and never even started a report for either. Funny how life gets in the way. Maybe I’ll get back to it with our annual Mardi Gras trip. I think we’ll be shifting more to Summer trips ourselves in 2021 when my youngest starts High School. Maybe we’ll finally meet up.

mgarbowski

Thanks for finishing up the report. You and I used to crank out Trip Reports within days or weeks of the trip. This one took you 6 months! Don’t worry. I had a trip last June with my wife and a trip last September with my daughter and never even started a report for either. Funny how life gets in the way. Maybe I’ll get back to it with our annual Mardi Gras trip. I think we’ll be shifting more to Summer trips ourselves in 2021 when my youngest starts High School. Maybe we’ll finally meet up.
Thanks. Fingers crossed our paths do converge some day.
This report really did stretch out, but there are special circumstances which I thought I vaguely referred to earlier but now that I check it appears I did not. And there's no reason, I guess, to be secretive, but a few weeks after the trip my mom's (90) health took a negative turn, and by early October she was admitted to an end-of-life care facility where we were told to expect days or weeks, not months. Handling all that with my sister and visiting mom quite often took a lot of time and attention.
And now, in a very unexpected blessing she has improved enough that they're planning to move her to a different longer term care facility. She won't be able to live on her own any more but nothing imminent is looming. This transition has its own issues and difficulties. We're happy about the turn of events but it creates its own complications and it's hard to reconcile the conflicting emotions. Anyway, stuff like this is a welcome respite but the opportunities to indulge in it are sometimes hard to recognize. It helped that people kept thanking me for keeping the report going after every entry. Now it's almost time to make ADRs for the next August trip, so it seemed a good time to get this finished up.

Anyways, hope that wasn't over-sharing. Sometimes you need to say stuff even if nobody needs to hear it.

Last edited:

3dadknight

Not oversharing at all, but no explanation is needed. I know what you are dealing with. I’m dealing with a vaguely similar situation with my dad these days and have done it before with my father in law. It is tough. I’ll keep you and yours In my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong.

Alcachofa

Hey thanks for the report. Again, I think you put just the right amount of detail to play armchair traveler.

I think you're from the NYC area? You and I have more or less similar summers (can get pretty hot and humid, but not Orlando levels). Did you find the weather unbearable like some people do? I haven't been in August in many years/decades, but it used to be that was the only time I went. Yes it was hot, but I remember there were always places to cool down. Maybe the climate has changed enough in only the last 30 years that it is noticeably worse now, and if I went now I'd be singing a different tune. But, I actually kind of want to go back in August once in the next few years, but my wife is adamant that there is no way she wants to do that.

ThemeParkCommando

Just butting in a bit. I wear glasses and have since I was little. Croakies are the best at helping keep them on. At WDW, I only used them on RnR, ToT and Space Mtn. However, if your kids glasses are looser, you may want to use them on BTMRR, Splash, Dinosaur, EE and TT, too.

mgarbowski

Hey thanks for the report. Again, I think you put just the right amount of detail to play armchair traveler.

I think you're from the NYC area? You and I have more or less similar summers (can get pretty hot and humid, but not Orlando levels). Did you find the weather unbearable like some people do? I haven't been in August in many years/decades, but it used to be that was the only time I went. Yes it was hot, but I remember there were always places to cool down. Maybe the climate has changed enough in only the last 30 years that it is noticeably worse now, and if I went now I'd be singing a different tune. But, I actually kind of want to go back in August once in the next few years, but my wife is adamant that there is no way she wants to do that.

yes. I line in NYC. I found the August in WDW not unbearable at all. I do agree with what I think you are suggesting, which is that living in a place like NYC which has hot, humid summers does help acclimate you to what we experienced in WDW, even if it is a couple of notches less humid. I think the main difference I found was that feeling of walking into a wall of humidity every time we left a cool environment like a ride, store, hotel or car and that air hit us. You feel that transition (and the glasses do fog up) in a way that happens in New York, but rarely. But, once you're outside fort a minute or so and walking in it, I found the marginal effect of that extra level of humidity was minimal. It might be different if you tried to do something more strenuous than walk a lot, but we found it manageable and similar to what we're used to. It also helped that crowds were a bit lower than other times we have gone. Walking in heat and humidity is easier to take if you can actually walk at your pace and are not shuffling along in a slow moving crowd.