ADRs for October

NCDomerDad

Hi all! Been a long time website follower, but my family has finally come of age to take our first trip with all four of us. And my 180-day ADR window opens in less than a month and I was hoping for some input, please!

Arriving from NC on 10/4, a Sunday. We're activating our Military Appreciation tickets at Disney Springs that evening as we are staying near there (off site, but 60-day FP+).

We'll be in the Parks the next four days, rope dropping 10/5 (M), 10/6 (T), 10/8 (TH), and 10/9 (F). We basically will want to do most of the main attractions, but aren't overly interested in getting wet or spinning rides (think: Tea Cup, Saucers, Magic Carpets, etc.).

At this point, I know a few things, but really need help trying to make a best guess on a character meal for my daughter (age 6 at that time) who wants to meet the Princessi, but Dad isn't willing to waste touring time or a FP+ on a character meet. So we'll meet them while we eat. We have five-day park hoppers. We are travelling with a larger party, but I'm mainly worried about this for now. Wife, son (8), daughter (6) plus myself. Willing to walk, plan to take mid-day breaks. No dining plan this time.

A few other caveats to help you with your generous and much appreciated suggestions:

- We know there are a LOT of unknowns at this point (Park opening, FP+ situation, RotR situation, new rides, etc) . But the ADR waits for no man...
- I'm not seeing a way around at least two half days at DHS, assuming we want to do everything except Alien Saucers. Star Wars will be a priority.
- 10/6, 10/8, and 10/9 are Halloween Party nights. I figure those are good days to at least start at MK, even if we hop elsewhere. We will not be participating in the parties though.
- Very open to other ideas, but one thought I had was to get the earliest reservation possible at Akershus, then do FEA and Soarin without FP+. All I'd need is a TT FP+ and maybe a Ratatouille one and we're set at Epcot.
- Other than the character meal, we aren't fixated on any dining must-haves.

Hopefully that provides some information to allow suggestions on ADR strategy. If I'm missing something, please let me know! And thanks in advance for the input!

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Very open to other ideas, but one thought I had was to get the earliest reservation possible at Akershus, then do FEA and Soarin without FP+.
Consider the latest breakfast time available, consider it a brunch/early lunch. That'll give you time to do FEA and Soarin', and probably more, before Akershus.

WIG

We loved the dinner at the Grand Floridian (Cinderella, Prince Charming, and the step family: the step sisters are a hoot). This time around we are doing Storybook Dining at Artist Point (Snow White, the Evil Queen) which I hear is great. Finally, its expensive but our family had a much better experience at the Castle than Akershus. It probably was colored by the fact that we were seated by the kitchens at Akershus but I also thought the character interactions were better.

NCDomerDad

Consider the latest breakfast time available, consider it a brunch/early lunch. That'll give you time to do FEA and Soarin', and probably more, before Akershus.
Art, you think it would work to RD FEA then do Soarin', both without FP? I guess that's true - depending on Ratatouille.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Art, you think it would work to RD FEA then do Soarin', both without FP? I guess that's true - depending on Ratatouille.
There's a Touring Plans video on YouTube which covers the recommended order to ride the three Tier 1 Epcot attractions; it's been a while since I've seen it, so I don't recall, but my guess is FEA then Soarin'. Ratatouille is the wildcard, we won't know how it will affect the Tier 1 ride lines until after it's open.

hizouse

One note on Akershus or rope-dropping FEA: You may be tempted to spend touring time on meeting Anna and Elsa since they're right there (but not in Akershus); I'd bet you could do that quickly but it would delay your trek to Soarin'. It does sound like you could do both FEA and Soarin' without a FP+ at rope drop; meeting Anna and Elsa in between would obviously back you up a bit, but I don't know how long.

You might also consider Trattoria al Forno (with Rapunzel and Ariel) at the Boardwalk for one of your half days at DHS. I've never been there but have only heard good things. That breakfast takes ADRs all the way through noon, so you could do that after a few hours at DHS (or after your rope drop at Epcot as you're walking to DHS.

NCDomerDad

One note on Akershus or rope-dropping FEA: You may be tempted to spend touring time on meeting Anna and Elsa since they're right there (but not in Akershus); I'd bet you could do that quickly but it would delay your trek to Soarin'. It does sound like you could do both FEA and Soarin' without a FP+ at rope drop; meeting Anna and Elsa in between would obviously back you up a bit, but I don't know how long.

You might also consider Trattoria al Forno (with Rapunzel and Ariel) at the Boardwalk for one of your half days at DHS. I've never been there but have only heard good things. That breakfast takes ADRs all the way through noon, so you could do that after a few hours at DHS (or after your rope drop at Epcot as you're walking to DHS.
Both great points, thanks!

NCDomerDad

Whelp, this has certainly changed. Like a few others mentioned in other threads, ADRs 180 days out are virtually non existent. I set up a Touring Plans search, but it sounds like I'll be needing to "waste" Fastpasses at Epcot for a day.

Disneyfan

Don't lose hope. The parks may be very popular at that time, but maybe not. As people juggle finances, they may drop Disney plans. If a TP Reservation Finder pops up an ADR and you miss it, try again and again. Sometimes I have lucked out and was able to snag the first ADR it found. Other times, I wasn't quick enough and I had to try again. I hope it all works out for you!

lmr1999

The breakfast at Trattoria was fun. We did it last October and then took the boat over to Epcot but you could easily go the other way into DHS. We've never done Akershus but the Castle was a big hit when DD was around your DD's age, and everyone enjoyed the Snow White meal at Wilderness in October. Snow White is only princess, but the Wicked Queen was amazing, you get to meet two dwarves, and the food theme was so fun! It was a nice way to end a full day in the parks for us, and you could even consider doing that and then taking boat to MK for fireworks depending on other plans.