Advice on Universal resorts?

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
If you get the free fitness center perk do you have to use it? :RpS_blushing:

-or-

Can I exchange that perk for something else? :RpS_biggrin:
Haha! To be honest, it can come in handy if you're hitting the pool before your room is ready. They have showers, lockers and a sauna/steam room.

DopeyRunr

The biggest drawback to Cabana is that you don't get the Express Pass.
Yes! You don't always need it, but if you check in early in the morning, you get two full days use out of it for one night stay. Plus, unlike the one they charge $50-$70 for in the park, it's good for unlimited rides.

bnoble

he's right
That's exactly why we booked a throwaway night at RPR for our summer trip a few years ago. It was cheaper to get the room than pay for two days' express passes for the four of us---and those were not park-to-park or unlimited, just one park one day, and the other park the next, one trip per attraction.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Yeah, we paid for the one day of express pass on our last trip so I'm looking forward to getting that as a perk. I totaled up the rack rate room I would pick at HRH. For 3 nights, with tax, $1900. :faint:

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
So it's cheaper (at UT anyway) to buy the 14 day 3 park pass ($201) vs the 4 day Universal park to park pass ($203). And the 14 day one allows park to park access as well. Crazy.

The parks are US/IOA/Wet and Wild (where we will never go).

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
We stayed at HRH with 2 teens who won't sleep together. We were in a deluxe queen room and there is a lot of space. DD slept in one of the queen beds, me and DH slept in the other and DS slept on the floor on an air mattress. There is a sofa bed but we never tried it out so can't say if it was comfortable or not. You might want to check out what time club level opens up in the morning. I thought I read something about one of the hotels not opening club level early enough to make it to early entry. Not sure if that was HRH.

Not sure if you have AAA but you may be able to get a discount with that. We got one but had to call. Not sure if it is available during the peak times or not.

Ann

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Thanks Ann. It says HRH CL opens at 7:30 but I noticed one of the other resorts said theirs opened at 7. So weird that they wouldn't all have the same hours. So I was thinking about that and early entry. But thanks for the info on the room, definitely.

Marianna

The concierge room was really not much. Pretty small and while convenient for a quick breakfast, I'm not so sure it's really worth the extra $$.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Thanks Marianna. In looking at it, it's $160 more per night over a standard 2 queen room. The larger room mentioned by Ann was less than CL by maybe $30-50 or so (I closed the website and can't remember).

I think the larger non CL room is what we need. Guess I won't be able to play Pampered Princess.

amk3

Mousesavers lists discounts for Universal. Even going peak dates I think something might open up. Ex: through midnight tonight there's an 18% off code for cheaptickets.com that includes Christmas peak dates.

@George, for Cabana Bay standard room four nights Columbus Day weekend with taxes & discount we're paying $457.
Pop standard room for the same dates: $568. If Disney releases a discount code for 20% off Values, Cabana Bay will still be similarly priced.

gccmedina

My family did the Hard Rock almost 3 yrs ago and loved it. We stayed for a week and had 4 days of tickets to Universal and that is all we did. Rested, swam, got a cabana for the day. We had club level so there was drinking every afternoon. I thought the room was a bit small but we all loved that you could walk to the park and city walk. My 16 yr old has no interest in Disney wants to go to Universal.

Disneyfan

We stayed at HR a few months ago. We had a regular room, which was very small. If I was choosing between club level or the deluxe size room, I'd choose the bigger room. BTW my kids are 13 and 15 and they had to sleep in the same bed.

My family enjoyed the HR. It was too cold for us to take advantage of the pool, but it was nice. My DH is just a grown up teen himself, so the HR was perfect for both him and DS. It was a bit loud for me. Our room was facing the pool, so I could hear the pool music inside the room when I was close to the window. The HR was fun and I would stay there again. Our room was on the wing closest to US. We went down a flight of stairs and out the side door. We would walk over to US and be there in a heart beat. It was further to IOS, but not too far.

BUT DD and I took a walk over to the Portifino one evening. We really liked it. I think if we went back, I'd give it a try. The only thing that would hold me back from choosing Portifino over HR is that it is not as close to the parks which would mean using the water taxi most of the time. It also seemed a little too quiet when we were looking around. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Rowan

When I was pricing it out, I had a standard queen room package quoted with 3 day tickets for the four of us,at Royal Pacific. By using the APH rate, getting myself an AP and getting tickets through the Mousesaver Undercover tourist link for the other 3 in my group, I saved about $250 with an upgraded room than the higher price packaged quote had. This is for a 3 night stay in mid Oct. AAA agent over the phone, gave the exact same price as the Universal website.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
It's hard to imagine getting an AP for one might save us money during Easter for only a 3 day trip, but it is one of the ideas I have in mind. I used to be a Universal pass holder when I lived in FL and I know they are pretty inexpensive compared to Dis new. Or at least they used to be.

ernierich

We had a couple of problems with the Hard Rock. First, we had a ground level room next to the pool and people tended to play music until the very early hours. It was just too noisy for us. I suppose the title of the hotel should have given us a clue ;-)

Secondly, and more worryingly, we awoke in the middle of the night to find someone entering our room. It was soon apparent that it was a member of staff, who quickly apologised and left. We reported it to reception and unfortunately they couldn't/wouldn't offer an explanation and couldn't have cared less.

We've stayed in the Royal Pacific a couple of times and loved it there.

DopeyRunr

The Power Pass (Annual Pass) which has no blackout dates and includes the resort discounts and free parking is $289. Hard to believe it wouldn't pay for itself if you're looking at a $1,900 rack rate.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
We had a couple of problems with the Hard Rock. First, we had a ground level room next to the pool and people tended to play music until the very early hours. It was just too noisy for us. I suppose the title of the hotel should have given us a clue ;-)

Secondly, and more worryingly, we awoke in the middle of the night to find someone entering our room. It was soon apparent that it was a member of staff, who quickly apologised and left. We reported it to reception and unfortunately they couldn't/wouldn't offer an explanation and couldn't have cared less.

We've stayed in the Royal Pacific a couple of times and loved it there.
That's unfortunate about someone entering your room. I'd say that can happen anywhere though, so it wouldn't turn me off the HR. But I can understand why it added to your opinion.