All about the Rider Switch Pass (aka Rider Swap)

kohlby

And, today there was a change. Today was MK. The crowds were super low so we didn't try to use rider swap on most. We only did it on BTMRR, which we did at rope drop. The CM told me he would give us a rider swap but he usually doesn't and we wouldn't be able to get it in the rest of the park since my child was tall enough. I'm not sure how he knew that, as my child was sitting in the stroller, but I asked for one due to my child being too scared. Also, they didn't give us the rider swap ticket immediately but instead gave it to the first adult once they get to the last CM. That change is fine by me, since the intent of rider swap has always been for the first adult to actually ride it right away. I didn't get to test out the tall-enough child getting it at any other ride though. The issues on 2012 trip were at HS, MK, and EP. This time, HS and EP were great about it. MK sounds like a gray area. (We skipped AK last time and only doing a partial day this time with splitting up so we won't get to test out rider swap at AK).

abuck75

Wow, great news on the Rider swap being available all month (although too bad our first day will be the 31st of January).

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
This very helpful post was written in July. Can anyone confirm that the swap pass still allows three riders and doesn't have a specific return time?

Thanks!

Anne

This very helpful post was written in July. Can anyone confirm that the swap pass still allows three riders and doesn't have a specific return time?

Thanks!
We were there 2/7-2/14/15 and it worked exactly as described above. We only used it from the fp line so I can't comment from personal experience on standby line procedure but ostensibly the same. 3 people per swap. All our swaps expired 2/28. The non riding adult did not need to redeem a fp for the swap ride and could use their fp for a ride with the non riding child while the rest of the group did the ride with the height requirement. Some of the rides gave the actual swap ticket at the entry to the line (mine train) and some gave a lanyard with laminated message directing us to give the lanyard to the next CM to obtain the actual swap ticket (soarin and big thunder). We messed up the first time with the lanyard (no points for me, I didn't even read it and tucked it in my bag thinking it was the actual swap, never having used one before). There was no problem when my husband tried to enter the fp line with the lanyard, they directed him to the desk by soarin where they exchanged the lanyard for the actual swap ticket and he was good to go. I got the impression it was a common occurrence.

Micah008

Will they still allow rider swap for scared kids who are the right height?
Sometimes (or even often) yes they do, but it depends on the Cast Member. Be prepared to be told no, but ask for sure.

If you want you can always refer to the policy if you want to argue your case, but some will just simply never do it.

brit726

Very good information to bank. Thanks! Haven't been in 5 years and am taking my youngest on his first trip. things sure have changed!

magicalmoments

This is such valuable information. Thank you for writing it out so clearly and providing examples. Our upcoming trip will be our first visit with a toddler so we'll definitely be using the rider switch option.

KristinaRN

Just to be clear:
1) if we get a RS pass at 7DMT on Nov 19, can we use it on Nov 22?
2) will 7DMT give us a rider swap pass on the first ride of the day? My daughter and I plan to ride after our BOG breakfast, and are hoping they will give us rider swap passes for my husband.
Thanks!

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
Just to be clear:
1) if we get a RS pass at 7DMT on Nov 19, can we use it on Nov 22?
2) will 7DMT give us a rider swap pass on the first ride of the day? My daughter and I plan to ride after our BOG breakfast, and are hoping they will give us rider swap passes for my husband.
Thanks!
Yes and yes. Switch passes are typically good through the end of the month anymore. You can get a swap anytime, as long as you're eligible.

Anne

Yes and yes. Switch passes are typically good through the end of the month anymore. You can get a swap anytime, as long as you're eligible.
I would add some people have reported CMs who will not give out a swap if the current standby time is short on the grounds the wait is short and the swapping party shouldn't have a long wait if they were to ride right after the first part of the group. It is very CM dependent and has never happened to me personally. My guess is they'd be less likely to refuse a swap request at mine train first thing in the am because everyone knows the wait builds quickly.

What a fun surprise to have to rework your plans to include swap!

KristinaRN

I would add some people have reported CMs who will not give out a swap if the current standby time is short on the grounds the wait is short and the swapping party shouldn't have a long wait if they were to ride right after the first part of the group. It is very CM dependent and has never happened to me personally. My guess is they'd be less likely to refuse a swap request at mine train first thing in the am because everyone knows the wait builds quickly.

What a fun surprise to have to rework your plans to include swap!
My daughter is very excited about double rides, once with mom and once with dad!

cdmurphy727

Here now and for the past two days attendants at the ride entrance are giving the first group of riders a lanyard to wear. Once they are ready to board a ride they trade the lanyard for a rider switch pass. Don't know if this is new or not as we have not really used rider switch but thought I'd report what our friends have encountered.

Also, this morning at rockin Rollercoaster the attendant at the ride entrance would not give us a rider switch lanyard because DD is tall enough. I mentioned that disneys website states that you don't have to be too short, just if there's a child that doesn't want to ride they are eligible for rider switch. She still refused to give me a lanyard. And since it was rope drop and people were streaming past me while we argued I just went on. DH continued the discussion with someone who looked like a supervisor and that guy further explained that at RNR they send tall kids through the line anyway and if they don't want to ride one parent and child step out of line while the other parent rides. When the first parent exits the second parent immediately gets to ride without walking through the queue again. Which I guess is great except that is not clearly explained anywhere and it seems to be a departure from the norm. The guy did end up giving DH a rider switch pass since there was some confusion.

This practice seems really confusing and also that it would be hard on kids who may not be able to understand what's happening. Again I have no idea what is usually done with rider switch as this was our first and only experience with it. Just wanted to report back for anyone else.

Strangeite

Here now and for the past two days attendants at the ride entrance are giving the first group of riders a lanyard to wear. Once they are ready to board a ride they trade the lanyard for a rider switch pass. Don't know if this is new or not as we have not really used rider switch but thought I'd report what our friends have encountered.

Also, this morning at rockin Rollercoaster the attendant at the ride entrance would not give us a rider switch lanyard because DD is tall enough. I mentioned that disneys website states that you don't have to be too short, just if there's a child that doesn't want to ride they are eligible for rider switch. She still refused to give me a lanyard. And since it was rope drop and people were streaming past me while we argued I just went on. DH continued the discussion with someone who looked like a supervisor and that guy further explained that at RNR they send tall kids through the line anyway and if they don't want to ride one parent and child step out of line while the other parent rides. When the first parent exits the second parent immediately gets to ride without walking through the queue again. Which I guess is great except that is not clearly explained anywhere and it seems to be a departure from the norm. The guy did end up giving DH a rider switch pass since there was some confusion.

This practice seems really confusing and also that it would be hard on kids who may not be able to understand what's happening. Again I have no idea what is usually done with rider switch as this was our first and only experience with it. Just wanted to report back for anyone else.
Thank you. This is important information.

cdmurphy727

Yeah the more I thought about it I realized that this will likely eliminate the ability to spread out fast passes. Seems like they wouldn't let you wear a lanyard through the fast pass line. Stinks for those who were able to do that.

Anne

Yeah the more I thought about it I realized that this will likely eliminate the ability to spread out fast passes. Seems like they wouldn't let you wear a lanyard through the fast pass line. Stinks for those who were able to do that.
See my comment earlier in this thread, they were using lanyards back in February for some rides from both fp and standby. We still got swap ticket by trading lanyard at merge point with return date anytime through end of the month. So it doesn't sound like flexibility to re-ride had changed with the lanyards unless they are doing the lanyards differently now compared to February.

As for the child who is tall enough but chooses not to ride, it sounds like CM response to that continues to be quite variable. I haven't personally been in that situation but there have been several discussions about it here on the boards.