All about the Rider Switch Pass (aka Rider Swap)

Jared511

Can someone confirm from a recent trip if you can effectively use fast pass and still get a rider swap pass?

We are going the first week in November and have split our fast passes up. We have a group of 4 adults and 1 small child. We split each other up into two groups and fast passes different rides that we will rider swap. Does this still work? It worked great for us in January but want to make sure this still applies.

thanks,
Jared

avab80

I would add some people have reported CMs who will not give out a swap if the current standby time is short on the grounds the wait is short and the swapping party shouldn't have a long wait if they were to ride right after the first part of the group. It is very CM dependent and has never happened to me personally. My guess is they'd be less likely to refuse a swap request at mine train first thing in the am because everyone knows the wait builds quickly.

What a fun surprise to have to rework your plans to include swap!
We experienced this at Splash Mountain back in August. The SB wait was 10 minutes, and the CM refused to give us a RS pass. He said they don't start giving them out until the SB wait is at least 15 minutes. I tried arguing that the attraction itself is almost 20 minutes long, so by the time we wait 10 minutes then ride for 20 minutes, the wait will definitely be over 15 minutes. (It was probably around 10-10:30am.) He wouldn't budge though, and DW doesn't particularly like the ride anyway so she said just forget it. Of course I was correct and by the time the rest of us got off the ride, the SB wait was 20 minutes. (Which wouldn't be a deal breaker, except that wait time+ride time = ~40 minutes. Too much to ask of a toddler who has already waited ~30 minutes while the first group was riding.)

On a shorter (in duration) ride like Mine Train or BTMRR it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but Splash is such a long attraction that it ends up being a much longer wait for those not riding.

Anne

On a shorter (in duration) ride like Mine Train or BTMRR it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but Splash is such a long attraction that it ends up being a much longer wait for those not riding.
BTMRR yes, probably wouldn't make a big difference. Mine train the wait increases exponentially at RD. By the time you'd get off, even with the short duration of the ride, waits would be huge.

Arielsgrotto

I am now reading reports on other forums that recent visitors have been asked if all party members have a FP when asking for a rider switch pass at MT and EE. If the waiting members of the party do have a FP, the CM was refusing to give the rider switch pass. This makes sense to me because the waiting party should be able to just ride using their own FP once the first party is done. Does anyone know if this is a new policy rolling out?

Last edited:

Anne

I am now reading reports on other forums that recent visitors have been asked if all party members have a FP when asking for a rider switch pass at MT and EE. If the waiting members of the party do have a FP, the CM was refusing to give the rider switch pass. This makes sense to me because the waiting party should be able to just ride using their own FP once the first party is done. Does anyone know if this is a new policy rolling out?
I haven't heard anything about that but I haven't been on other forums. I thought part of the point of the swap pass was it would allow the person who stays back initially to ride with up to 2 others (deliberately allowing some members of the party a re-ride) so they aren't having to ride alone. And who knows, it might just be another example of variable CM interpretation of the swap policy.

avab80

I've read this in other forums as well, but the way I understood it is that the CM is refusing the Rider Switch pass if the waiting adult DOES NOT also have a FP+. If all those who intend to ride DO have FP, they will issue the Rider Switch pass. This allows the waiting adult to still bring someone back to ride with them, but prevents groups from splitting up their FP and effectively getting double the FPs of parties who are not able to use RIder Switch. I've also only read of this happening at Mine Train though, so YMMV.

Pacclady

Here right now. Yesterday, we used the rider swap and FastPass+ with no problems. First me and DS5 had FPs for Splash Mountain and hubby had a FP for POTC (which he rode with DS2). He was not asked to show a FP for Splash and I received the rider swap lanyard. Did the same thing again on BTMR (hubby and DS5 rode while I used my FP to ride Magic Carpets of Aladdin with DS2). The rider swaps we received were good trough the end of November and allowed 3 people to ride.

Anne

Saturday 12/5/15 given lanyard for swap at Test Track through fp line. No request to see valid fp for my husband who wasn't riding on the first round. It was some bonus pixey dust as we weren't planning to ask for a swap. Younger son is right at 40" in his shoes but didn't want to try the ride. When he hesitated at the line entrance the CM offered the swap without measuring my son and without us mentioning or requesting a swap.

lync

Please help me try to figure this out...
We are going with another family. We have 3 girls...6, 10, and 13. Our friends have 2, 10, and 18.

Is there anyway to work the RS so that the 4 other kids get to ride again?

TIA!!

Anne

Please help me try to figure this out...
We are going with another family. We have 3 girls...6, 10, and 13. Our friends have 2, 10, and 18.

Is there anyway to work the RS so that the 4 other kids get to ride again?

TIA!!
You haven't specified who meets height requirement for the ride you are considering and who doesn't. If both 2 and 6 year old do not meet height requirement you could potentially approach as your 2 different family groupings. You would have one adult plus 6 year old get swap and not ride and a second adult and 2 year old not ride and get a second swap ticket. Then 6 people can ride on the swap tickets for your second ride, 3 per ticket and you can have it be anyone you like from your party who meets the ride requirements so the 4 older children could all ride again.

If the 6 year old meets the height requirement but doesn't want to ride you may or may not be able to get a swap (see comments above, it is very CM dependent ).

If the 6 year old meets the height requirements and wants to ride you will only be able to get 1 swap ticket for the 2 year old that is good for 3 people, so not all 4 could re-ride.

lync

You haven't specified who meets height requirement for the ride you are considering and who doesn't. If both 2 and 6 year old do not meet height requirement you could potentially approach as your 2 different family groupings. You would have one adult plus 6 year old get swap and not ride and a second adult and 2 year old not ride and get a second swap ticket. Then 6 people can ride on the swap tickets for your second ride, 3 per ticket and you can have it be anyone you like from your party who meets the ride requirements so the 4 older children could all ride again.

If the 6 year old meets the height requirement but doesn't want to ride you may or may not be able to get a swap (see comments above, it is very CM dependent ).

If the 6 year old meets the height requirements and wants to ride you will only be able to get 1 swap ticket for the 2 year old that is good for 3 people, so not all 4 could re-ride.
It is just the 2 year old. My 6 year old is 49-50 inches tall. Thank you for your response. That is what I thought. I was just hoping there was a way!

NYHeel

Has anyone heard of a CM requiring that all guests use their FPs before issuing a rider swap ticket?

My friend is going with 6 total, including one kid who is 2 years old. He was thinking of using rider swap as a way to get extra fast passes. for example, 1 parent and 2 kids would have a FP for Splash Mountain and the other parent and one child would have a FP for Big Thunder. That way they could double up their FPs for height restricted rides. Is there any realistic chance that the CM at Splash Mountain would require all 5 family members to scan their FPs prior to giving out the rider swap ticket?

BeckyW

Has anyone heard of a CM requiring that all guests use their FPs before issuing a rider swap ticket?

My friend is going with 6 total, including one kid who is 2 years old. He was thinking of using rider swap as a way to get extra fast passes. for example, 1 parent and 2 kids would have a FP for Splash Mountain and the other parent and one child would have a FP for Big Thunder. That way they could double up their FPs for height restricted rides. Is there any realistic chance that the CM at Splash Mountain would require all 5 family members to scan their FPs prior to giving out the rider swap ticket?
I don't think this would happen, because there's no way for the CM at Splash to know which people in your party have FP for which rides, know what I mean? There's no need for everyone in your party to have the same FP choices, so they could easily have different ones in a 6-person group. In fact, they allow you to book different members of the same party for different FPs... so they should be OK!

I think that the CMs give you a paper FP or (in some cases) a lanyard redeemable for a paper FP before they even know if the first group is using the standby or FP line, so I agree with Becky that your friend shouldn't have anything to worry about.

LibraryTink

Hi all - great sticky/thread about rider swap - thanks, Steve! I have a question - Does everyone go ahead and book alternate FP+ for one adult when you know you will be using the rider swap? I'm planning to try this, but it makes setting up the FP+ seem a little more complicated and I wanted to make sure it is worth the trouble in practice. I was thinking get FP+ for things like character meets, dumbo, flying carpets, etc. We are going April 5th - 9th, so not Easter but probably still at the end of Spring Break season.Thanks!

BeckyW

It really depends on how you are mixing/matching the kids and adults, can you explain your plan with a little more detail?

LibraryTink

Thanks for your help, Becky! I am traveling with my 14 year old niece, my adult niece and her littles ages 1.5 & 4.5 (at this point the 4.5 year old is 43 inches, so we are hoping he'll make 44, but not sure and not even really sure he will want to ride Space Mountain even if he can)

One example I'm thinking is this: We have a haircut appointment at the barber shop at 10:30. We were thinking maybe we could have a 10:45 - 11:45 FP for just one adult at Meet Mickey to do with the 1.5 year old. While those two are meeting Mickey, we the rest will meet Tink. Then, have all other FP for 11:00 - 12:00 at 7DMT where we get a swap. The adult who has no FP will do Carousel, Teacups or whatever is a short wait with the 1.5 year old. Then, trade off when the first group is finished with 7DMT.

I have just never done the FP+ system using Rider Swap and I realized this weekend that it might really change the way we select them. I'm thinking we pick one person (me probably) and make those FP+ be for the alternates. Everyone else's FP+ are what we will swap. Then, occasionally, I will trade magic bands with the adult niece. This will make it easier to select the FP+, right??