An "Easy" Disney gift card hack?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Another way I have heard of (but haven't done personally) is using a Chase Ink card to buy Disney Gift Cards at Office Max. They will earn you 5x Ultimate Rewards points (office supply store), which you can transfer to many different airlines and hotels. Using Southwest Airlines as the example they are worth about 1.86 cents per point, giving you over 9% back (and there are other transfers that can possibly be more).

And, if your Office Max is like mine... there is never anyone in line so no concern there. :RpS_wink:
The (not so) best kept secret out there is to use British Airways "Avios" miles to ticket domestic flights on American Airlines. My upcoming trip (Chicago-LA-Lihue (Kauai)-Las Vegas-Chicago cost me 45,000 Avios. The same flights ticketed by American would have cost 85,000 miles, IF American had Saver Miles to sell, which they never do. So yeah, getting 5x points buying GCs at Office Supplies stores affords a HUGE payback in Chase Ultimate Rewards (which can be transferred to Avios.

MsIncredible

You all have my head reeling!!! The most I do is use my SouthWest Visa to get points - tix to WDW in August free with points. I think I have some reading up and planning to do! I am planning on upgrading to an AP when there in August, sounds like I should get a Chase Ultimate Rewards card, get Disney GCs at Office Max to pay the AP and the balance of my October trip so that I can have Avios points to get us to Denmark for our DCL Norway cruise next year. Can you pay DCL with GCs too?

A little off topic (but still pretty close to the original topic), my wife and I buy our Disney gift cards at Giant Eagle. While there isn't a discount, like there is if we purchased at Sam's Club, we pay for the entire purchase with our Disney Visa. This will give us the rewards on the Visa, plus the gas rewards on our Giant Eagle card. Typically, Giant Eagle's rewards are save 10¢ for every $50 spent. We usually wait until late August because they run their 20¢ for every $50 spent promotion for back-to-school sales. We usually need to buy about $1500 (or more) worth of cards. This gives us MAJOR gas rewards!! Like paying $45 for 60 gallons of gas MAJOR gas rewards!

DisneyMom

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more
Interesting.

I just went back to Sam's Club website to order more cards (because I'm impatient and confident it is going to work) and they have removed the 3x pack that gave a 5% discount. Now you can only buy the solitary $50 card which only gives a 2.5% discount.

Hmmmmmmm, I'm thinking I might need to bring my tin foil hat out of storage. :RpS_glare: :spy:
Maybe it's just out of stock and will show back up when it is in stock? Costco.ca works that way - happened to me when I was going to buy California city passes last year.

TandEsMommy

Really? You'd probably be *helping* their scan rate actually. They can scan those way more easily than a week's worth of groceries or a pile of clothes.
Yep. Large GC purchases drive up all the KPIs for retailers--average transaction amount, units per transaction, and of course, overall sales numbers. (If you're paying with a proprietary card, like the Target Red Card at Target, it also reduces transaction fees the store pays, increasing the store's gross margin/profitability.) These are used to set the number of hours each store gets to schedule for the upcoming weeks, as well as bonuses for management and the number of employees the store is allowed to have (meaning they can hire more workers). Clearly that big of a domino effect would require a lot of people doing this, but it all starts with one. After working in retail as long as I did, I would buy gift cards from various retailers even if there wasn't a discount--that way, Disney can spread a little economic joy to my city :RpS_biggrin: I buy gift cards from the chain stores for other retailers all the time, specifically to spread the profits around wherever I can. Gets more hours for the local stores' employees almost immediately.

**ETA: This doesn't apply to buying the merchant's own gift cards. I've never known a retailer to count their own gift cards twice in sales numbers--meaning the store will either get credit for the sales numbers when the gift card is originally purchased, or when it is redeemed, but not both. It doesn't matter if the card is purchased and used at the same location or at different ones, so there's no actual benefit to the store by purchasing a gift card to use there for your own transaction (unless you just want to, for whatever reason).

sounds like I should get a Chase Ultimate Rewards card, get Disney GCs at Office Max to pay the AP and the balance of my October trip so that I can have Avios points to get us to Denmark for our DCL Norway cruise next year. Can you pay DCL with GCs too?
Yes, you absolutely can use GCs for DCL. What sailing are you on for Norway? The DH and I are doing the Norway/Iceland at the end of June.

Mossy1

Just A side note for Chase Ink deal at Office Max I do believe there is an annual fee($95) on the card, waived for 1st year. I personally prefer to use Chase Freedom and Discover IT since the are no annual fee and you can cash out with a check or discounted gift cards for even more bang for your buck. JMO

Interesting.

I just went back to Sam's Club website to order more cards (because I'm impatient and confident it is going to work) and they have removed the 3x pack that gave a 5% discount. Now you can only buy the solitary $50 card which only gives a 2.5% discount.

Hmmmmmmm, I'm thinking I might need to bring my tin foil hat out of storage. :RpS_glare: :spy:
Thanks for the idea, I had no clue Sams sold them online for a discount.Very interesting since Discover IT card will be giving 5% back for online purchases in OCT-DEC. on first $1500. Could be more if they are part of Discover cash back mall.

A little off topic (but still pretty close to the original topic), my wife and I buy our Disney gift cards at Giant Eagle. While there isn't a discount, like there is if we purchased at Sam's Club, we pay for the entire purchase with our Disney Visa. This will give us the rewards on the Visa, plus the gas rewards on our Giant Eagle card. Typically, Giant Eagle's rewards are save 10¢ for every $50 spent. We usually wait until late August because they run their 20¢ for every $50 spent promotion for back-to-school sales. We usually need to buy about $1500 (or more) worth of cards. This gives us MAJOR gas rewards!! Like paying $45 for 60 gallons of gas MAJOR gas rewards!
I have bought some GC at Giant Eagle but don't forget about Get-Go gas stations. Both Discover IT and Chase Freedom have 5% back at gas stations July- Sept. Up to $1500 in purchases. And you also earn the fuel perks.

George

Just A side note for Chase Ink deal at Office Max I do believe there is an annual fee($95) on the card, waived for 1st year. I personally prefer to use Chase Freedom and Discover IT since the are no annual fee and you can cash out with a check or discounted gift cards for even more bang for your buck. JMO
If you call to cancel after the first year, they'll waive the fee for the next year for you to keep it.

Mossy1

If you call to cancel after the first year, they'll waive the fee for the next year for you to keep it.
Good piece of info there George. I think the Ink card is a wonderful card for people that use/value miles. It has many, many different advantages. I was just pointing out the annual fee for someone that would only be inspired to use it for Disney GC at the office store. I'm not sure it would be worth the hard pull on your credit just to buy some GCs, however if you were going to use it to it's full potential, I don't think there is a better card out there.

George

Good piece of info there George. I think the Ink card is a wonderful card for people that use/value miles. It has many, many different advantages. I was just pointing out the annual fee for someone that would only be inspired to use it for Disney GC at the office store. I'm not sure it would be worth the hard pull on your credit just to buy some GCs, however if you were going to use it to it's full potential, I don't think there is a better card out there.
I believe it is absolutely worth the inquiry on your credit, since it hardly affects your rating, if at all. If course, I'd never recommend this to someone with less-than-stellar credit.

slapshot25

I picked up a Disney gift card at target today using the debit red card and got the discount even though the card said "gift card" on back and not "entertainment card". Not sure if it was elsewhere or this thread that I read it only worked if it said entertainment.

I've also read (in forums and on the official target site that you needed to have a canceled check to sign up for the debit version of the red card in store. They just used my debit card to sign me up at the register.

5% doesn't seem like much, but for our small anniversary trip, it'll get us about $70. That's pretty much a good dinner somewhere.

George

I picked up a Disney gift card at target today using the debit red card and got the discount even though the card said "gift card" on back and not "entertainment card". Not sure if it was elsewhere or this thread that I read it only worked if it said entertainment.

I've also read (in forums and on the official target site that you needed to have a canceled check to sign up for the debit version of the red card in store. They just used my debit card to sign me up at the register.

5% doesn't seem like much, but for our small anniversary trip, it'll get us about $70. That's pretty much a good dinner somewhere.
It's the Pharmacy Rewards that don't work anymore with the Gift Cards, not the Red Card Debit or Credit cards.

Strangeite

In an interesting turn of events, I have just been informed that Sam's Club has cancelled my order of gift cards.

See people, this is why you have to stockpile tinfoil for hat making material (don't trust Reynold's Wrap, it contains Badstuffium).

Micah008

In an interesting turn of events, I have just been informed that Sam's Club has cancelled my order of gift cards.

See people, this is why you have to stockpile tinfoil for hat making material (don't trust Reynold's Wrap, it contains Badstuffium).
Did they give a reason? Or just cancel it?

MsIncredible

Yes, you absolutely can use GCs for DCL. What sailing are you on for Norway? The DH and I are doing the Norway/Iceland at the end of June.
I put a deposit on the June 20th sailing, 9 nights. Norway has been on my to do list for a long time. I might start buying gift cards every time I'm at Target

I was thinking of switching to the next sailing, but now don't see it on the DCL website as an option - is it sold out?
Yes, it's been sold out for quite some time actually. A stateroom will pop up here and there, but to be honest, prices have doubled from what they were on day one. The last stateroom I saw pop up was for $16,000+ and I think it was an ocean view (not even a veranda). I don't know if prices will come down from that, but I expect there will be some cancellations, especially as we move closer to final payment date.

Micah008

Another way I have heard of (but haven't done personally) is using a Chase Ink card to buy Disney Gift Cards at Office Max. They will earn you 5x Ultimate Rewards points (office supply store), which you can transfer to many different airlines and hotels. Using Southwest Airlines as the example they are worth about 1.86 cents per point, giving you over 9% back (and there are other transfers that can possibly be more).

And, if your Office Max is like mine... there is never anyone in line so no concern there. :RpS_wink:
Just bought some Disney Gift Cards tonight at Office Max on the way home from work, using my Chase Ink card... planning to use them to pay for meals on our August trip. They are for sure good at WDW (says right on it), and I also grabbed a Subway and Applebees Gift Card while I was at it too.

I don't think there was another person in the entire store at the time, so no one to hold up in line for sure. The cashier smiled and said something along the lines of "a lot of people do this".

When I get the bill I will confirm I got the 5x points... but I am pretty sure it will work just fine.