An "Easy" Disney gift card hack?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I consider anything more than 50,000 a good sign-up bonus. I've gotten 100,000 mile bonuses from Amex Platinum and Citi AAdvantage (American miles only); those two had annual fees, but if you subtract all the perks and credits that the cards offered (Global Entry fee, statement credits, Club access, etc.) they ended up costing about $200. For 100,000 miles, that's not bad.

I always search for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, but have never found a better deal than I could get elsewhere. The main draw of UR for me is the high value for points. Every so often they offer a double points transfer, and everyone jumps on those!

kmc8826

Thanks! We end up flying almost always Delta since we are in a Delta hub, but am interested in another good credit card for travel rewards. Right now we have the Barclaycard Arrival Plus (which I like) and the AMEX Delta platinum (which I don't particularly like other than the free companion fare bonus). I think it is time to research it and get another one...

George

Thanks! We end up flying almost always Delta since we are in a Delta hub, but am interested in another good credit card for travel rewards. Right now we have the Barclaycard Arrival Plus (which I like) and the AMEX Delta platinum (which I don't particularly like other than the free companion fare bonus). I think it is time to research it and get another one...
It's a shame you're stick with Delta, because it's universally considered by the frequent flyer cogniscienti as having the very worst program in the industry. Google "best frequent flyer credit cards" and you'll find a bunch of travel bloggers ' writings about which cards are currently the most valuable.

kmc8826

It's a shame you're stick with Delta, because it's universally considered by the frequent flyer cogniscienti as having the very worst program in the industry. Google "best frequent flyer credit cards" and you'll find a bunch of travel bloggers ' writings about which cards are currently the most valuable.
Yes I know it is not good...but Delta is the only airline that has direct flights to MCO from here. (Which can be a huge deal when you have little ones and 5 tickets to buy). But it is probably time to expand our choices now the kids are getting a little older. I am all about working the system! My husband looks at my stack of Disney gift cards I have bought different ways (mostly Target, AMEX, and Discover card promotions) and just shakes his head.

Jen66

The catch is you have to shop at Sam's Club.

Signed,

George, a "Walmart is Evil" person
I'm with you on that!

I started buying gift cards for our trip at our local Giant Eagle. While I pay face value, I do get fuel perks, which is nice. If you have Giant Eagles in your geographical area, it's worth checking out.

Right now our Kroger is offering x4 fuel points on weekend gift card purchases. $200 in WDW GC means .80 off per gallon for DH's truck that's a $22 savings. I also get a little back using our WDW visa.

George

Those gas promotions are great. We don't have any of those here in Chicagoland, unfortunately.

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
A big part of the problem for me is the grabbing of an entire stack of gift cards from the shelf and making the under paid worker ring them up.t.
Whenever I make purchases for school I need to give our tax exempt ID number. Since the cashier is almost always unfamiliar with doing a tax exempt purchase, my transactions typically take longer even though I may only have a few items. If another shopper comes up behind me I say something like, "I'm doing a transaction for my school and these typically take a little longer." People are usually happy to have me tell them this and either choose a different lane.

If you ever go the Target route you could say something like this. :)

kmc8826

My AMEX card currently has a deal for spend $100 at Staples get $15 back. Does anyone know if Staples has Disney gift cards?
Thanks.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
My AMEX card currently has a deal for spend $100 at Staples get $15 back. Does anyone know if Staples has Disney gift cards?
Thanks.
The offer on my AMEX is only for Staples.com. They don't list any Disney Gift Cards online.

Mossy1

The offer on my AMEX is only for Staples.com. They don't list any Disney Gift Cards online.
Just a thought, but Staples does sell Sears GCs and if I remember correctly Sears does sell Disney GC in stores, they also have Amazon as well. I have used Sears GC to buy third party GCs in store many,many times. The best ones were the deeply discounted Lands End cards but I believe Sears quit accepting them in store sometime in May unless you can find old stock with non updated T&C. Depends if the savings is worth the time and effort...HTH

kmc8826

My mistake...I totally misread the AMEX offer. (I did see that they did not have any online). Thanks for clearing it up (and saving me pointlessly wandering around Staples).

kmc8826

Just a thought, but Staples does sell Sears GCs and if I remember correctly Sears does sell Disney GC in stores, they also have Amazon as well. I have used Sears GC to buy third party GCs in store many,many times. The best ones were the deeply discounted Lands End cards but I believe Sears quit accepting them in store sometime in May unless you can find old stock with non updated T&C. Depends if the savings is worth the time and effort...HTH
Yes everything with the "gift card hack" kind of does depend on whether or not worth the time and effort!

Strangeite

Yes everything with the "gift card hack" kind of does depend on whether or not worth the time and effort!
That is the best summation of why I created this thread in the first place. Saving 5% or more with a few clicks of the mouse is what I am on the hunt for.

Mossy1

My only point was in my scenario your could achieve a 15% savings if you were willing to buy the eGC and drive to Sears. Some would say their time is much more valuable than the savings present, others would jump at the chance especially if the were going by Sears anyway. I believe it to be a subjective decision, that would vary from person to person.

That is the best summation of why I created this thread in the first place. Saving 5% or more with a few clicks of the mouse is what I am on the hunt for.
One a side note the 3 pack of GC from Sam's are back. I take it they never filled your order? I am definitely in for that option once online purchase bonus kicks for Discover IT in October. T&C should be released in August. Fingers crossed they make it like last year and all .com purchases qualified.

Shane74

Thanks.
I used topcashback to get a 3% rebate for my staples $15 off $100 deal, so you might have a chance at additional savings.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
One a side note the 3 pack of GC from Sam's are back.
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered $600 worth, saving 5% on the purchase plus another 2% cash back on my credit card. I've only ever purchased them in person before, but they haven't had them in my club recently. Hopefully the order goes through and doesn't get cancelled.

ahsteinert

I'm currently using the shopkick app and redeeming for $2 or $5 gift cards to Target. So, about every 2 weeks, I'm buying a $50 GC to Disney at Target and between the small giftcards and my red card, I'm getting them for about $32 a piece.
I'm making it a point to scan everything with the app when I'm at Target, I go to Target 2 times a week. When I'm at the mall, I take advantage of all the walk-in kicks. Some may find this time consuming but to save 35% it is worth it.

It's not a whole lot but if you shop via ebates there are a few stores you get cash back. I think there is a sign up bonus. Sometimes they are bigger than others. If anyone wants a referral link just ask :)