Annual Pass cancellation deadline 8/11 (Tues)

Micah008

Staff member
For all active Annual Passholders out there, just a reminder that you have until tomorrow 8/11 (Tues) to make a decision if you want to keep your Annual Pass or cancel it for a partial refund. If you do nothing they will assume you want to keep it, with the extended end dates (original date + length of closure + extra month) of approximately 147 days.

From the official email (sent back in mid-July):

We recognize that Park reservations will change the way that many of our Passholders use their pass. With that in mind, in June, we shared that Annual Passholders will receive a one-month (30 days) extension to their pass. This additional month will automatically be processed and visible in their My Disney Experience account over the coming weeks.

If you prefer, you can cancel your pass and receive any applicable refund in lieu of the additional month. Please note this option can be selected now through August 11, 2020 by clicking on your personalized link. You can also call V.I.PASSHOLDER Support at 407-939-7277 for assistance on any individual concerns.

Micah008

Staff member
Personally we are still really on the fence with this decision. We activated our APs in January, only 2 months before things shut down, and if we cancelled we would get 10 months worth of money back, even after having used them for 11 park days. But, if we hang onto them they will be extended until June '21 and we still would get between 1 and 3 more trips out of them, depending on how things work out.

We have already cancelled our August '20 trip (now planning June '21 instead which would not have have originally happened), and we are really unsure on the October '20 trip (just for DW and I) mostly because we are not sure who will be willing to take care of the kids now, and since a few of the activities we had planned for this trip are no longer even happening.

If we do cancel the APs we still fully intend to do our yearly winter trip in January '21, and would likely just buy and re-activate a new set of APs then (once they actually start selling them again). I think we come out ahead by cancelling, but mostly because we push the new expiration out to January '22, the actual cost goes up because APs cost more now than when we bought the ones we are currently using.

Any thoughts? ...in case we are just missing something obvious... I think we are to the point now of over-analysis.

bnoble

he's right
I've learned the hard way to only buy tickets for trips I know I am taking---and even then I've ended up over-buying due to unexpected changes in plans. Given the uncertainty around everything, I would take the pro-rated refund and re-evaluate when I got closer to any future trips.

Anne

I have no great thoughts about what to do in your situation.

I just wanted to say I'm irritated I NEVER get any AP emails. I never got the 7/14 email (just searched to be sure, nada). I had no idea there was an 8/11 deadline. No email with a personal link. So now I get to sit on hold all day tomorrow since I'm at work today. Just great.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag

I just wanted to say I'm irritated I NEVER get any AP emails. I never got the 7/14 email (just searched to be sure, nada). I had no idea there was an 8/11 deadline. No email with a personal link. So now I get to sit on hold all day tomorrow since I'm at work today. Just great.

Do you have DVC APs? Because I do, and I never got an email either.

Anne

No, they were vouchers we purchased a few years ago before one of the big price increases. We don't have an official DVC card or DVC benefits

Micah008

Staff member

That stinks you didn't even get the email. I may end up having to call too, since I can't tell if my "personal link" will only be for my pass, or it it covers everyone in the family.

Here is some additional info:

I do have DVC Gold APs, and get many emails from "Disney Destinations" disneydestinations@passholder.disneydestinations.com

Anne

My parents just canceled theirs. 1 hr 45 minutes on hold. We are on the same MDE account and I was hoping they could cancel for us but unfortunately I will have to call myself for ours.

Anne

That wasn't so bad. 2 hr 10 minutes after work and it's taken care of. Sad that expectations are so low a 2 hr hold isn't unexpected. The CM said they will be there until 10 pm tonight and start up again tomorrow at 6 am. It took a few minutes of dialing to even get into the queue. Be careful on the voice recognition menu. I first tried "cancel annual pass" and was kicked over to the queue for canceling a resort reservation and off the AP line. Had to call back in (another couple minutes dialing to get into the queue). Saying "annual pass" got me into the correct AP queue.

Strangeite

The most expensive Disney tickets I ever purchased was when Disney offered the Platinum Plus Annual Pass to DVC members for $559.00 in 2017.

We had a 10 day trip planned and it was only going to be something like $20 more to get the annual pass. This was our only trip planned for that year. We ended up going as a family 2 more times in those 13 months and I went alone once to hear Joe Rhode speak. What we thought was only going to be $20 extra a ticket ended up costing... lets just say more than that.

George

I'm going to request the refund. I'm on hold now. Guess I'm not going anywhere for a while.

FYI, I had no luck getting through on the AP number, so I called reservations and talked my way through the options to get to the AP department.

Micah008

Staff member
We ended up cancelling ours, and requesting the refund too. It feels like we are "giving up" on our October trip by doing it, but it is nice to be past the decision.

I just clicked through the personal link I was emailed on 7/14, and my wife found the same in her email, and we went through it for her. However... we have no way to know if that actually did anything for the APs our kids have. There was nothing in the email or any of the steps in the process that talked about their passes... so I guess I am going to get on the phone today too just to cancel theirs.

George

I'm still confused about how many days will be refunded. My pass was activated on 2/11/20. The closure was 117 days, which would extend my pass to 6/7/21. Is the refund for 7/11/20 - 6/7/21, which would be 331 days. Is this correct?

Micah008

Staff member
... so I guess I am going to get on the phone today too just to cancel theirs.
Sounds like trying to cancel a Columbia House CD Club membership.
I have waited on hold for 45 minutes twice this afternoon, both times only to be disconnected. Not sure what else to do other than just try a 3rd time...
I'm still confused about how many days will be refunded. My pass was activated on 2/11/20. The closure was 117 days, which would extend my pass to 6/7/21. Is the refund for 7/11/20 - 6/7/21, which would be 331 days. Is this correct?
If I understand it properly you would technically be refunded from 8/12 - 7/7/21, which should be the same number of days. They added a free month on the end beyond just the closure days, which you should be able to see if you log in to My Disney Experience (on the My Plans page, and then scroll down and click on Tickets & Memory Maker). We activated on 1/18/20, and our expiration dates currently say 6/14/21, so yours should be into July for sure.

From 7/11 - 8/11 they are treating as the "free" month no matter if you keep your pass or not, so that is why they are starting the dates for the refund on 8/12.

Micah008

Staff member
You'd think the AP phone line could afford more than 8 minutes and 10 seconds worth of hold music.... not that I timed the loop. ;)

... on my 4th attempt now, and after waiting a while earlier where they closed the lines and were not even letting anyone into the queue.

Anne

Wow! I'm glad I was able to take care of it last night. WDWNT is reporting they are back to the queue is full and the recorded message no new calls are being taken, call back later as they may reopen pending capacity.

A lot of people never got the 7/14 email with notification of the 8/11 deadline. I wasn't aware until Micah's post yesterday (thanks Micah). That's not a lot of notice for many people. How could they not realize this would be a disaster?

Last edited:

Micah008

Staff member
Done. 2 hrs 55 minutes on hold, but I got through and got it taken care of. It was a good thing too... the emailed links only cancelled my pass and my wife's pass, but not the passes for our kids.