Any Experiences (Good or Bad) at Maria & Enzo's

mgarbowski

This restaurant gets very little attention. Josh gave the brunch a very favorable review but it's a rather different experience and we would be going for dinner. We have hit all the other newish restaurants at Disney Springs: Boathouse, Art Smith, Frontera Cocina, and Morimoto Asia. There just are not many reviews of the place except a couple I found from opening week in 2018 which also is probably not that representative of how they operate. I guess it's probably kind of Ok then? Not awesome but not a disappointment either? The theme and decor looks fun, but you only get so many dinner experiences in a week so I'm not looking to waste one. I mean it doesn't have to be perfect. We'll trade a bit of quality for variety and a new experience.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I’ve walked through both, and Enzo’s appeals to me a lot more. FWIW, I think the Disney Food Blog’s “review” of this place was rather misinformed. For example, pasta is supposed to be cooked to the “chewy” stage, and no more; almost all places here in the States get that part wrong, and it’s a nice surprise when I find a place that gets it. Still, it’s just her opinion, but from what she wrote this place seems to be right up my alley. Of course it’s expensive, but that’s almost a given anywhere at Disney; if it’s good I don’t mind paying. I might take one for the team (i.e., you) and try this for lunch today.

George

Well, I did it! Stopped in for lunch today, and since I was solo, sat at the bar. Happy to report, based on just the couple items I had, that it’s one of the more fulfilling WDW food experiences. The setting is expertly themed (basement “hidden” prohibition-era speakeasy), and the food was sublime.

The breads were exceptional, especially the thin tomato bread.

I started with a Burrata Caprese (I know, tomatoes in February, but these were cherry tomatoes) salad, the burrata was deliciously tangy with just the right amount of creaminess. ($18)

For my pasta, I ordered the Penne (but substituted rigatoni, since I’m not a big penne fan and I LOVE rigatoni) with chicken sausage, sweet onions, broccolini, and cacciocavallo cheese; the cheese is a specialty of my grandfathers hometown of Ragusa, Sicily. The pasta was cooked correctly, that is to say, on the chewy side, and the sausage, which I was skeptical of since pork is more traditional, was nevertheless seasoned nicely with fennel. ($24)

I didn’t have dessert, as I didn’t want to fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon!

If you’re looking for red sauce Italian-American, you won‘t find it here. Even the lasagna is the thinner authentic ragu/bechamel-style.

Prices, of course are off the charts, this being Disney. But the value is there in the execution of the theme and the food, and as you can see, the portions are rather large without being obscene; two could’ve easily split the salad, and maybe even the pasta. I couldn’t help but finish both myself.

mgarbowski

Thanks George. We'd be going to the main dining room not the "speakeasy", but I figure it's the same kitchen and similar enough. This helps to know.

George

The two settings are vastly different from each other: Maria & Enzo’s being a soaring, two-story space with many tables out on the main floor of an attractive, but noisy, huge Art Deco space; while Enzo’s Hideaway is a (literal) sub-terranean space which still manages to still feel open and airy, with a lot of u-shaped booths lining the walls, with tables, filling the rest of the floor space. I do believe there are two separate kitchens serving the two distinct spaces, as I could definitely see the kitchen around the corner from the bar where I ate. The menus are quite similar, with Enzo’s leaning a tad more rustic.

Enzo’s Hideaway

Maria & Enzo’s

S4ndi.h

We were in the main Dining Room last year - by the pics above I would probably have preferred the Hideaway - but we all loved the food. Everyone came away satisfied and felt it was one of our new favourites

George

We were in the main Dining Room last year - by the pics above I would probably have preferred the Hideaway - but we all loved the food. Everyone came away satisfied and felt it was one of our new favourites
I preferred the atmosphere of the Hideaway to the cacophonous, barn-like upstairs. I also thought the menu was more appealing. I’m already planning my return visit, this time with a few others so I can sample more things.

George, we're both Sicilian!
I’m only HALF Sicilian. Alas, the wrong half. 😥 :D

beachta1

It doesn’t really matter, does it? :RpS_razz:

Actually, Mom’s family is from Abruzzi, Dad’s is from Sicily (Ragusa).
You're right. I've seen the shirts that say "I have an Irish temper and an Italian attitude" but sometimes I think its just the Masshole in me :p

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I've been to Maria & Enzo's for dinner four or five times. Like other Patina restaurants, the staff is attentive and trained well. The experience is usually relaxed. Don't let them sit you in the side room unless you want to be away from the crowd. With Open Table you can make a reservation, and if on the day of your visit you decide to do something else, easily change it. You might also look at Wolfgang Puck. The atmosphere is kind of lame but I think it's a real sleeper on food quality.

George

I've been to Maria & Enzo's for dinner four or five times. Like other Patina restaurants, the staff is attentive and trained well. The experience is usually relaxed. Don't let them sit you in the side room unless you want to be away from the crowd. With Open Table you can make a reservation, and if on the day of your visit you decide to do something else, easily change it. You might also look at Wolfgang Puck. The atmosphere is kind of lame but I think it's a real sleeper on food quality.
I peeked into Wolfgang Puck, and the menu looked quite impressive. I’d definitely have checked it out if I had more time.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible that I am mistaken, but I believe they make their own pasta too, which is something none of the Patina restaurants can tell you as far as I know. None of that may be true.

George

It's possible that I am mistaken, but I believe they make their own pasta too, which is something none of the Patina restaurants can tell you as far as I know. None of that may be true.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they do. WP restaurants are usually top of the game for quality.