Apple Watch instead of Magic Band?

BSS

I know that you can now use your phone or Apple Watch for park entry and other entitlements. Does anyone have first hand experience with using an Apple Watch instead of a Magic Band? My husband doesn't want a Magic Band at all, but it makes me nervous for him to only have his Apple Watch given Disney IT. I'm just wondering if it's glitchy or if it actually works pretty smoothly.

Anne

I have no experience, but maybe he could bring a RFID card in case the watch fails there is a backup?

Reactions: BSS

pixarprincess

Worst case I have an extra magic band and were going the 12th so I will be the guinea pig and worst case default back. Its also all available in your phone and you can always buy a band on property, considering they aren't free anyway...

G00fydad

R.1f8fa0e40335fda08188e95c2c21a76a

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd go MagicBand. I've seen a lot more "try agains" with people trying to use some sort of watch apparatus. The Band might be uncomfortable for ten seconds but I'd be surprised you even noticed it after that. You'll also find your phone tells the time.....as just about every attraction entrance does. You'll probably have your head buried in Genie+ options anyway.

G00fydad

I'd go MagicBand. I've seen a lot more "try agains" with people trying to use some sort of watch apparatus. The Band might be uncomfortable for ten seconds but I'd be surprised you even noticed it after that. You'll also find your phone tells the time.....as just about every attraction entrance does. You'll probably have your head buried in Genie+ options anyway.
Or get one of these and put it on a lanyard like me.

Micah008

Staff member
This is what I use for my Magic Band. (ETA: Not sure if they sell them anymore, but used to be easy to get in any gift shop)

1638558826620.png

Last edited:

BSS

Yes. I use the Mickey shaped Magic Keeper for mine with a red puck in the middle and I love it. I had forgotten that I also have a plain one like Micah's. I'll probably just get him a solid color band and put the puck in the plain one for him. He just doesn't want to wear a Magic Band and his watch and there is no getting the watch off of him.

pixarprincess

Yes. I use the Mickey shaped Magic Keeper for mine with a red puck in the middle and I love it. I had forgotten that I also have a plain one like Micah's. I'll probably just get him a solid color band and put the puck in the plain one for him. He just doesn't want to wear a Magic Band and his watch and there is no getting the watch off of him.
this is my entire families opinion as well. They want their watch and 2 bands is weird... We will see how it goes. Worst case I will shlep to the giftshop for a band for everyone...

BSS

this is my entire families opinion as well. They want their watch and 2 bands is weird... We will see how it goes. Worst case I will shlep to the giftshop for a band for everyone...
I will be eager to hear your assessment when you get back.

pixarprincess

Ok following up on this. You add your mobile magic to your wallet and it shows up on your watch, you then open wallet, go to the appropriate card if you have multiple, tap it and double tap the side button and then hold to the reader as you would a magic band. It is not as easy but certainly doable for an adult who doesn’t want to wear both. I’m lazy and have put my puck holder on my band.

Attachments

• 2C3AAB99-1040-41B6-A8C2-EAE321BAB3CB.jpeg
    2C3AAB99-1040-41B6-A8C2-EAE321BAB3CB.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
Ok following up on this. You add your mobile magic to your wallet and it shows up on your watch, you then open wallet, go to the appropriate card if you have multiple, tap it and double tap the side button and then hold to the reader as you would a magic band. It is not as easy but certainly doable for an adult who doesn’t want to wear both. I’m lazy and have put my puck holder on my band.
Then theoretically, it should also work using the MobileMagic card in the Wallet app on the iPhone too, much like you'd use ApplePay. No watch necessary.

BoSoxGal

I was able to add our tickets to my wallet on my phone and watch. I did it as a back up and needed it twice. The first time I hadn’t set up my magicband (d’oh!), and it worked very well. The second time was when my son forgot his magicband. That time it was a little fussy, but fine - no intervention needed by another cast member. I ended up using my phone. The watch seemed sensitive. I also had all four of our passes linked, so I’m not sure how much that plays into it. Overall it was very convenient in both situations.

I only used it for park entry, not at the ride entrances or payment. Relying on it more throughout the day and for however many days could get annoying if you had issues here and there. Being the “stuff carrier” for us, having a puck holder for back up would be much easier than a magicband. They’re flimsy and awkward to put in a purse or bag.

pixarprincess

Then theoretically, it should also work using the MobileMagic card in the Wallet app on the iPhone too, much like you'd use ApplePay. No watch necessary.
It does. After now using it for a few days I think it depends on how savvy you are with the wallet function on your device. My dad who doesn't want a magic band and has only been using his watch has been struggling to get it down as you have to open the wallet switch to the right card and double tap to activate it then hold to reader. It is doable, but we have definitely been holding up the line some. It would be much easier if it was just it's own app you could open and boom it would work. Since I own it I will be sticking with my puck, it is no fuss... If you have no intention to have photopass photos taken or to use LL/G+ its probably fine. It is more annoying when you are scanning a bunch, especially in double scan LL lines.