Are people booking FP+

MrFredricksen

Our trip is at the end of August and of course we aren't 100% certain we going. Our FP+ day is in a month and we haven't done any planning. Should we? Are people planning and booking FP+? We aren't even sure our ADRs are going to be good if they limit capacity.

What are people doing?

mgarbowski

Our trip is at the end of August and of course we aren't 100% certain we going. Our FP+ day is in a month and we haven't done any planning. Should we? Are people planning and booking FP+? We aren't even sure our ADRs are going to be good if they limit capacity.

What are people doing?
My FP+ day is in about 3 weeks. We don't know if can go or whether we will go, assuming we can, but I will sign on and attempt to book them at the earliest possible moment more or less as normal. I just won't do much prep except maybe the day before I will make a list of the handful of the most important ones to attempt first, based on my general knowledge as an informed WDW trip planner, but I'm not doing any additional research to tweak anything. I think I already have park days picked from pre-quarantine days. I've no idea what the facts are about limited FP+ inventory or availability and probably won't do any research on that either. I think I've even read speculation they might do away with advance FP+ for a while. What happens happens.

Short answer: I plan to do enough so if we go I made a reasonable effort to maximize the experience, but I'm not going all out.

I figure if we go (1) we'll just be happy that it is allowed and we feel safe enough to take advantage, and (2) things will be so different from normal that pre-planning will matter less than being ready to adjust to different circumstances on the fly, and having the state of mind to accept whatever that leads to.

hizouse

Why wouldn't you book FP+? Or are you just asking if the systems are allowing it? It looks like they are.

We have a trip scheduled in September, and I am not investing much time or effort in planning given the amount of uncertainty. Even if we get a re-opening plan from Disney this week, August and September will probably look quite different than June. I don't know what to think about our ADRs, either, especially the buffets and character meals. I expect it is likely that we will cancel those if Disney doesn't.

But I will be up early on our FP+ day trying to get the difficult ones like usual, even as I expect plans to change quite a bit between then and our trip. (We probably will go if open, just because I happened to pick this trip to try renting DVC for the first time, and I doubt we could get any of that money back if we cancel.)

My trip is in December, so I'm not even at the ADR stage yet. Coming in June for me. I'm just going to book ADR's as normal, if they are available to be booked at all.
If I were thinking of booking FP+, I would be calculating half the normal capacity for the ride, and increasing the time needed to about 2 minutes more per ( for sanitation runs). Then I'd schedule based on what I think I would really want to deal with. I may be skipping some of the high capacity theater amusements, since closed rooms and little audience movement can increase viral load. All the coasters and the outdoor rides are fine by me, since the virus will have little chance to impact me. Indoor rides with movement may be near the top of my list, so that I can get in and out of Soarin', Mission Space and Dinosaur early in the day, before the exhalations of thousands of guests are floating around.

Anne

Other than the time it takes to plan and then schedule the FP+, what is the downside to booking?
I probably wouldn't purchase tickets in order to book FP in advance if I didn't already have a package or tickets.

We have tickets so similar to what others are planning I will log on as early as allowed and book what I can. But I'm not putting much advance thought or effort into the process.

bnoble

he's right
Other than the time it takes to plan and then schedule the FP+, what is the downside to booking?
For me, the emotional load of planning for a trip I'm 90% sure I am not taking and am not really looking forward to would be high. It's sort of the same reason I haven't bothered renewing my football tickets, even though it's not hard to do. I suppose I will do it before the deadline, but...ugh.

mgarbowski

I was looking for something else over at the DIS and found these threads. I have only skimmed them, but it appears that whereas until recently there was very limited FP+ inventory available, suddenly new inventory has come online for dates beginning July 1. Wink wink nudge nudge, and all that. Say no more.

Take it for what you will. It does not change my approach described above.

Last edited:

MrFredricksen

For me, the emotional load of planning for a trip I'm 90% sure I am not taking and am not really looking forward to would be high. It's sort of the same reason I haven't bothered renewing my football tickets, even though it's not hard to do. I suppose I will do it before the deadline, but...ugh.
That is where I am. I usually put a lot of effort into planning and don't want to do that for nothing. Also hard to do if my timing is all off because lines move slower due to sanitizing and less capacity per car/boat etc. Not to mention if I have to reserve a park and wind up not getting the ones I already have FP+ for (let alone ones we already have ADRs for). There is so much uncertainty.

I think the new post out last night by Disney answers most of your questions. This changes things for a lot of people I’m guessing. :oops:

MrFredricksen

I think the new post out last night by Disney answers most of your questions. This changes things for a lot of people I’m guessing. :oops:

I just looked at my reservations and my ADRs are still there. They said that are cancelling "all", I assume that means all of them regardless of how far out they are. If they do reopen ADRs at the 60 day mark and FP+ come back online also on the 60 day mark, we will then be faced with having to make FP+ and ADRs at the exact same time. Talk about a booking nightmare.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I just looked at my reservations and my ADRs are still there. They said that are cancelling "all", I assume that means all of them regardless of how far out they are. If they do reopen ADRs at the 60 day mark and FP+ come back online also on the 60 day mark, we will then be faced with having to make FP+ and ADRs at the exact same time. Talk about a booking nightmare.
They said they will be using FP+ queues to accommodate social distancing, so I don't think FP+ will be back until social distancing is no longer required, so maybe well into 2021?

hizouse

I guess they make some rides all-FP+, whether by that name or boarding pass virtual queues, using space in both actual queues, to help manage crowds pretty soon. A lot depends, of course, on capacity issues. No need to move to FP+ or virtual queues if the queues can physically hold everyone in line, properly distanced, who wants to ride. But at some point, that will become impossible as they let more people in the park. Maybe that point is farther in the future than I'd guess.