arrival night dinner choice

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I’ve never had a problem finding a decent place on the first night on short notice. Sometimes we even try a place we wouldn’t have considered originally and it turns out to be a perfectly delightful time. Go with the flow and leave it to chance. You’ll likely have a terrific time.

I have no good advice. I struggle with arrival day meals every single trip. I can think of 3 trips where we didn't have an ADR and then couldn't find a good food option and had hangry kids. And 1 trip where we were stressed trying to make it to an arrival day ADR. Because of those odds I tend to book an arrival day ADR, but keep it close to where we are staying. We tended to do Cape May on arrival night if in the Crescent Lake area, but the new menu doesn't look that enticing. I'd probably go with Ale and compass. Reliable and probably more flexible if running late. We have done Big River and hated it.
I hear you! I am positive you could look back at my posts over the last 10 years and find me asking the same exact question about the same exact options every trip! We also had a tough time one trip and ended up starving and waiting for a table at Big River Grille, so it wasn't an ideal start to vacation. That is probably why I find myself trying to figure this out once again. My latest rumination is thinking about The Fountain at the dolphin (mentioned above by someone). Thanks for chiming in. We had a good breakfast at Ale and Compass. Maybe will try dinner.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
We also had a tough time one trip and ended up starving and waiting for a table at Big River Grille, so it wasn't an ideal start to vacation.
Once we were so hungry (bordering on hangry) we stopped on the drive to the resort along 417 to grab fast food. Not the ideal meal to kick off vacation mode but we knew by the time we got checked in, brought in the bags, got to a restaurant, and actually got food, it would have been another hour or two and THAT would not have been the ideal way to kick off vacation mode either.

Once we were so hungry (bordering on hangry) we stopped on the drive to the resort along 417 to grab fast food. Not the ideal meal to kick off vacation mode but we knew by the time we got checked in, brought in the bags, got to a restaurant, and actually got food, it would have been another hour or two and THAT would not have been the ideal way to kick off vacation mode either.
Yes! My husband was asking if he thought our uber driver would go thru the drive thru with us. I laughed but maybe that is the best idea after all!

merbears

We have also done that - sort of . Grabbed a snack on the road about 2 hours out. Then headed to Cooke’s of Dublin at DS for some yummy & quick fish and chips once we were all settled in to room etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetroCOTfan

If you fly to MCO on Southwest, I highly recommend Cask and Larder, if you can work a stop for takeout into your arrival timing.

I can't find their to go menu, but here's the restaurant menu:

https://www.caskandlarder.com/
I wholeheartedly second this. We at there on our last trip while waiting for our departure flight, and it was popular with our entire family. We joked that it was like "Homecomin' Lite." And by "Lite," I mean a smaller menu/space, not that any of it is diet! :LOL:

bnoble

he's right
When the timing is right (wrong?) we've been known to stop in the food court in the landside building. (We fly Delta, and the Airside sit-down place there is maybe an Outback or its equivalent. Only okay.)

Micah008

Staff member
We have done Cask and Larder a few times while we are waiting in the terminal for our departure flight home, but have never done it at arrival. How do you handle eating there (in the secure area) and picking up luggage (outside the secure area), or do you just let the luggage sit for an hour?

If I remember right it is the same owners as Polite Pig as DS.

bnoble

he's right
When we do the food court thing, one of us goes ahead and skips food. Usually that's been me for various reasons. I don't know that we'd do a sit-down on arrival.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
We have done Cask and Larder a few times while we are waiting in the terminal for our departure flight home, but have never done it at arrival. How do you handle eating there (in the secure area) and picking up luggage (outside the secure area), or do you just let the luggage sit for an hour?

If I remember right it is the same owners as Polite Pig as DS.

Yes, same owner. They also own the Ravenous Pig in Winter Park, which is really good.

My Cask and Larder on arrival day suggestion was more "get something from their to go market." I don't know if they do carry out with their sit down menu, but I don't think I'd sit down to eat knowing that my luggage might be left unattended at some point.

Why, all of a sudden, do I want pork belly tacos?

Micah008

Staff member
Yes, it makes sense if using their to go market. I was thinking your advice was for the sit-down and wasn't sure how well that would work out.

We will be staying at the airport Hyatt in August for a night on arrival, and the Cask and Larder would be my ideal place for dinner, but I didn't want to leave the luggage unattended, and I'm sure TSA won't let us back through security without a departing flight. We will have to find something else on the other side of security, which may just end up being the restaurant in the Hyatt, called McCoys.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I've no problem with unattended luggage. There have been many instances when my bags arrived before I did (missed connections, bags put on earlier/non-stop flights, etc.) and they've been collected and held by the airline at their baggage claim office. Arriving a half hour later after getting a meal is going to put anyone's bags at any further risk.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
TSA won't let us back through security without a departing flight.

I wish there was a workaround for that. Our departing flight in August is on Frontier, and the food options in that terminal are :RpS_thumbdn:. We would make time for Cask & Larder but for the TSA issue.

bnoble

he's right
I wish there was a workaround for that.
I haven't ever had to do this, but you could buy a fully refundable ticket departing MCO, and never take the flight. I *think* you can still get it refunded even if you check in, but am not 100% sure.

There was a period of time post-9/11 when guests staying overnight at the DTW Westin could use the hotel's security gate to get into the terminal to eat or shop. I don't know if they still do that or if the Hyatt has something similar. Might be worth checking.

Micah008

Staff member
I haven't ever had to do this, but you could buy a fully refundable ticket departing MCO, and never take the flight. I *think* you can still get it refunded even if you check in, but am not 100% sure.
This would likely work with Southwest, especially easy if booking with points which simply go back into your account when cancelling. From their site: "you can make changes to your flight up until 10 minutes before scheduled departure time, even if you’ve already checked in."

josh

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me I'd just want to get on property and get as situated as possible without the worry of making a dining reservation. If you wanted a change of scenery, the pizza window to the BoardWalk has actually improved and the Bakery isn't the worst choice in the world. Grab ice cream before Epcot closes and the line gets really long and you'll be in business. If you're feeling more adventurous, walk over to the Epcot monorail and grab dinner at the Riviera quick service there and a drink at the outdoor bar on the roof. It's really pretty up there. And if you don't actually want a drink you can leave after a few minutes. Depending on timing and light you could ride the monorail over the Pop Century and back and spend a few more minutes doing that. It's not the best sightseeing excursion of all time. but pulling into that station off the water is fun.

I have a review of the bar but not the hotel or restaurants. Go figure. https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/r...rinks-and-the-view-at-disneys-riviera-resort/

josh

Administrator
Staff member
They have their own oven so there isn't somebody going back there to retrieve them or anything. Ingredients-wise, I don't think it's the same stuff either. But it's considerably better than it was before the menu change. If you do some splitting and don't necessarily stuff yourself the BoardWalk store down there has a case of Disney treats then there is that Not Ample Hills place as well as other options on the BoardWalk like AbracadaBar and Ale & Compass Lounge for drinks and fancier food. But depending on weather, the Crescent Lake area is really pretty and a good way to extend the evening. The Epcot Skyliner is also right there and you can pretty easily just take it right back. Just make sure Epcot/The Studios isn't 30 minutes away from closing or will close in the next hour or you're looking at some lines for a ride that will decidedly not make it worth it.