Art of Animation - Disappointed

alagrange

We stayed at Art of Animation for one night last week. This was our fourth stay at AoA. We've previously stayed longer and loved it, so we wanted to spend a night here after spending most of the week at Bonnet Creek. We had a Nemo room this time (building 5...fourth floor). We've previously stayed in the Cars suites, so the experience was a bit different. I think parts of AoA are starting to show their age and are in need of a refurb. The carpets were very dingy and dirty in the hallway. The beautiful pictures as you get out of the elevators were all scuffed up and torn in places. Our room had not been cleaned well. The carpet here is showing it's age as well, as is the furniture. We were also left without a blanket and pillow for the sleeper sofa. I visited the front desk to ask for the blanket/pillow and was told one would be sent to my room, but it never came. I've typically gotten great service here. This time was different.

The stay was not a disaster by any means. We still enjoyed the pools and the grounds. Landscape of Flavors is still chaos, but the pasta is really good. :) The margaritas at the Drop Off still taste great too! I just hope that they don't let the rooms go any further and do some refurbishments soon.

Disclaimer: We spent the first part of the week at Bonnet Creek for the first time and that place is fantastic. This absolutely could have spoiled my previous love of AoA.

AngiTN

AoA isn't very old. I wouldn't think it's due for a refurb soon at all. There are resorts last refurbed before it was built still waiting on their refurb.
It's a shame people won't take care of the place, or parents won't require their kids take care of it, whichever the case is for torn pictures

Wtshum

AoA opened in 2012, so it's surprising that the upkeep has not ben so good. Sounds like your Bonnet Creek experience was a blast. Would love to hear more details on that.

sea814

We stayed in a Nemo suite last fall. I noticed the dingy hall carpets, and spots along the bottom of the pool that were torn up. I agree it's not holding up well with the volume of guests they see.

alagrange

AoA opened in 2012, so it's surprising that the upkeep has not ben so good. Sounds like your Bonnet Creek experience was a blast. Would love to hear more details on that.
Bonnet Creek was really, really nice. We had a two bedroom, two bath condo on a floor overlooking Epcot. We could watch Illuminations each night from our balcony, which was great. They have several pools, two lazy rivers, two great slides, a giant lake with koi and catfish (the kids loved feeding the fish), miniature golf and good restaurants/bars. Now, it is a timeshare, so there is that stigma to it. My parents are owners and let us use their points to stay there, but I feel spoiled now having stayed there. The condo itself was huge. Full kitchen, king beds, in-room laundry and other amenities makes the Disney properties we are used to seem a little less perfect.

kg2006

We stayed in a Nemo suite last fall. I noticed the dingy hall carpets, and spots along the bottom of the pool that were torn up. I agree it's not holding up well with the volume of guests they see.
We stayed at a Nemo suite last fall and I thought the room itself was very clean and in good shape, but yes the hallways seemed to be getting grubby: bumpers and moldings on the floor were missing, scuff marks on the walls, food trays left in the hallway for more than one day, etc. I thought the grounds and everywhere else (i.e. main building, pool, food court, etc.) seemed perfect. We were also in building 5, so I think it just needs some touch-up and new carpet.

Shazamm

We stayed in the Nemo family suites on our last trip. It was an ok experience. The room itself felt dirty and cheap. We had a party of five and the room sleeps six but it still felt very tiny once the Murphy bed was pulled down and in general. We usually stay at the Marriott Harbour Lake but I convinced my husband we should stay onsite for the hard to get fast passes. We are definitely staying offsite next trip. You can't beat the in room washer and dryer, full kitchen and two separate bedrooms.

blambo22

I have a question about Bonnet Creek. Do they try to sell you a timeshare? That is one reason I have been hesitant to book there. I don't like any conflict and don't want to feel like I am being pushed into anything. Just wondering........

paxsarah

Just refuse to go to a meeting. They may ask you a couple of times (in the past it has been when they send you over to get your parking pass) but just firmly say no. I own Wyndham points and we have never actually attended a sales presentation.

AngiTN

I have a question about Bonnet Creek. Do they try to sell you a timeshare? That is one reason I have been hesitant to book there. I don't like any conflict and don't want to feel like I am being pushed into anything. Just wondering........
Plus, don't you have to deal with your own transportation to the parks? Even though renting a car would still be lower cost than a Disney property we don't want to drive. One of the things DH loves most about our Disney trips is that he can finally have more than 1 drink since he doesn't have to drive.

paxsarah

You do. Even though they do offer a shuttle at WBC, I don't think the flexibility is such that I would rely on it. However, I don't really have a problem with driving to the parks, so that's a choice each person would have to make. I mean, the exit from Epcot comes out directly across the street from WBC, so it is probably the easiest possible off-site location for driving.

AngiTN

You do. Even though they do offer a shuttle at WBC, I don't think the flexibility is such that I would rely on it. However, I don't really have a problem with driving to the parks, so that's a choice each person would have to make. I mean, the exit from Epcot comes out directly across the street from WBC, so it is probably the easiest possible off-site location for driving.
We've seen the property. I have always said that if I needed an off site location due to family size I would consider WBC. But the driving is an issue I'm not sure we can get past. Maybe we'd just use UBER all the time. It's so cheap

alagrange

They weren't pushy when I checked in. Like paxsarah stated, they send you over to a different desk to get a parking pass and ask you to schedule a time for a meeting. I politely said no and that was the end of it. There was no pressure or pushiness. That was the last time it was mentioned.

alagrange

I think the shuttle costs money to use. I have heard it's $8 per person. Not positive on that though, as we rented a car. This was the first time having a vehicle and it was great. We visited the Wildnerness Lodge and Contemporary Resort for dinners. We probably wouldn't have done that if we would have had to have taken the bus from AoA to MK to the other resorts. That's all personal preference, of course. I will likely get a car from now on since I experienced it.

AngiTN

I think the shuttle costs money to use. I have heard it's $8 per person. Not positive on that though, as we rented a car. This was the first time having a vehicle and it was great. We visited the Wildnerness Lodge and Contemporary Resort for dinners. We probably wouldn't have done that if we would have had to have taken the bus from AoA to MK to the other resorts. That's all personal preference, of course. I will likely get a car from now on since I experienced it.
Heck, even if it's $8 each way using Uber would cost the same. Makes that an easy choice

alagrange

Found this on their site:

[h=2]5. How can Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort help me plan for my Disney vacation?[/h]The resort offers scheduled transportation to the Disney Theme Parks. Guests at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $7 per person per round trip including children. Additionally, Our on-site Disney Planning Center is staffed with Disney Cast Members who can assist you with a full array of Walt Disney World® Tickets, Disney Dining Reservations, and insider tips for visiting the parks.

AngiTN

Found this on their site:

[h=2]5. How can Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort help me plan for my Disney vacation?[/h]The resort offers scheduled transportation to the Disney Theme Parks. Guests at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $7 per person per round trip including children. Additionally, Our on-site Disney Planning Center is staffed with Disney Cast Members who can assist you with a full array of Walt Disney World® Tickets, Disney Dining Reservations, and insider tips for visiting the parks.
Wow, $7 per person. No wonder Uber stays around Disney so much. You can take Uber just about anywhere on property for $7 for the car load, even if you had a group that needed 2 cars you'd be out less money. Thanks though, good info to have