Art of Animation resort photos

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
Orlando Attractions magazine has posted some photos of Art of Animation resort as taken from above. It's looking pretty good IMO (though maybe I'm biased since I'm booked for August). http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2012/03/07/a-look-from-above-at-the-construction-progress-of-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

If you look closely at the pictures by the pool, you'll see a fence. Obviously the speculation on the DIS is that this means it'll require card entry (geez those folks need to relax and stop worrying about what everybody else is doing) but until the resort opens, IMO it could just mean that the boundaries are better defined for families though I suppose it's possible that you'll have to swipe cards to get in. Time will tell and I'm not going to concern myself with it; just thought I'd point it out. I'm quite entertained reading people over there freaking out over those potential interlopers from Pop who may take up AoA pool space or crowd the food court (seriously; there's no rule against this but people are still worrying and complaining and nothing's even happened; gotta love the DIS).

Also of note:
UPDATE: The opening dates have been announced and are sooner than expected.
Finding Nemo opens May 31
Cars opens June 18
Lion King opens Aug. 10
Little Mermaid opens Sept. 15
You can start booking rooms on March 23, 2012.

jandeeah

rescued daughter from turk - that crazy gorilla!
Thanks for the link. I am thinking about it for our next trip...And do not tell the Dis...I am thinking about going over there one night from the POP to try the food court!!!!

Last edited:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Supposedly they are considering not opening the bridge that connects Pop and Art of Animation and they are supposedly building a new bus stop at Magic Kingdom to service just the Art of Animation. Will be interesting to see what they end up doing.

clanmcculloch

I would expect a separate bus stop for AoA at MK. Even POFQ has a separate stop from POR at MK even though they share busses sometimes (though I don't think I've ever seen the MK busses shared; note that I've only stayed at POFQ twice). Because of the capacities of AoA and Pop, I wouldn't expect them to share busses except maybe during slow seasons mid-day and even then possibly only when AoA still is only partially open. Already busses for Pop fill up a lot of times so I just don't see them trying to have the resorts sharing. Even POFQ and POR don't share all the time and their capacities are much lower. I'm not actually worried about the bus situation the way that some over on the DIS are freaking out.

I read that about the bridge. It'll be interesting to see how it all ends up playing out. I'm enjoying watching it all come together.

Andrea, I promise not to tell. LOL!!

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
When we were there in February, the barrier at the end of the Generation Gap bridge was very temporary. I think it would be weird if they didn't open it. There are so many other resorts within walking distance of each other, and they all have walking pathways that join them.

I think that little fence around the pool is smart - whether it requires a key card or not, it's a good idea to have some sort of barrier just in case a toddler gets out of their room somehow and takes a walk without mommy or daddy. The pool at Pop is right there at the "front door" of many rooms and would be oh so enticing.

And the whole, "You can't eat/drink/swim/recreate at MY resort!" is so funny. Like there are mobs of hooligans that invade the DW resorts. Gotta love the folks that have to be the hall monitors of the world.

Rhonda

makes josh ride in the passenger seat
I might be a hooligan and go check out the resort when we are there in August. But dont worry, we wont try to pool hop or use old mugs :RpS_flapper:

jandeeah

Well, I do not have to be riffraff from the POP anymore I just changes to a little mermaid room!!!

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
See, Disney offers you free WiFi and beverage coolers, and you're still running like lemmings to the new resort. I'm sure Disney is cursing themselves for making AoA so appealing, they won't be able to keep up that 90% occupancy rate at Pop now.

clanmcculloch

They're charging a bit more for even the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA than they are at Pop and AoA seems to be excluded from all promotions that they're coming out with so I don't think they're worried. People will still stay at Pop. We're only staying at AoA because we DID get a discount but I think that last summer's free dining bounceback was the only promotion they've offered at AoA. I tried booking a few days with the current bounceback and the CM checked and was told that they didn't include it even in that one and none of the other promotions since have included AoA including PIN codes. For the difference between a promotion reduction at Pop vs AoA, I'd take Pop even with the newness of AoA if I was looking at just one room with 2 beds. We'd need 2 rooms though so the suite is nice.

Free wifi and the cooler at discounted prices certainly keep me happy. It doesn't take much sometimes. LOL

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Okay......I just have to ask......is AoA really so superior that it will need to be protected from the POP visitors?? I mean...really?? Yes....it looks like a fun resort and sure....it has the suites going for it.....and sure......the themings all cool looking. But is it really any different then say ASMu verses ASMo?? I don't get it?? And seriously.....I can walk from GF to Poly....but the Value resorts need to be isolated from each other??

Someone really needs to get their heads checked. Let's face it.....Value is Value...it's not like people are staying at a Value and wanting to cross the bridge to hang out at and use the amenities at a Deluxe. They are both Value Resorts and you are all paying Value pricing.....get over it!!!!! Even if AoA is a little more then POP....it isn't that much more.....move on people.

Okay.....getting off of my :soapbox: now.

Dennis

@ Andrea - we will be there Oct 14 - 19.

@ Trudy - When I booked the AoA room, the CM I was talking to suggested that when I get to the POP in May to have the bounceback code applied to this reservation. I thought it was so nice of him to point that out, that I actually stayed on for the post call survey. I hope he wasn't mistaken! If AoA is not eligible for the bounceback, I may go ahead and book it at POP just in case and then see how the Fall discounts develop.

clanmcculloch

Brenda, I totally agree. I think it's insane.

Dennis, In February I tried to book a bounceback for AoA for a few days at the beginning of our August trip. The CM I was talking to tried and said it was sold out. She then said that was odd so she asked if I was willing to hold while she tried something else and of course I was willing to hold if it meant I might be able to get it booked (my momma didn't raise no fools). Anyway, several minutes passed before she returned and she said she was really surprised and sorry to say that AoA was never loaded into the bounceback promotion. She said she was told it was because the bounceback period began before the opening date of the resort (this is true since the start date of the valid dates for the bounceback was in January). I doubt she was given an accurate reason for why (I suspect it's because they just don't need to offer the discount) but I do know that it wasn't available at least for my dates. I did try calling back a couple times and it just wasn't available. That's when I booked a cabin for those first few dates since the cabin with the bounceback discount is cheaper than rack rate at AoA for those few nights even with paying to rent a golf cart. But, we're booked at AoA in a suite for the majority of the trip because it was included in the free dining bounceback though at the value level meaning only QSDP.

I wouldn't count on being able to book AoA with the May bounceback. Absolutely try and even try a few times if you get a no the first time, but I wouldn't count on it. Be prepared with your backup plan just in case. It sounds like you'd prefer Pop at a discount over AoA at full price.

jandeeah

Dennis, We will be there from the 12-20th. Maybe we will run into you.

Brenda, I went and read the drama. It is pitiful that they have time to get so upset. I mean someone better not bring their mug over from the POP and get a refill at AoA! Really!
We are probably going to even walk over and eat at the POP one night GASP!!!!

For us the price was less than $70 different and I know AnnaMay will love the room she is really into Ariel. So far there are no discounts out for either. If there happens to be a good one for the POP and not AoA I would think about going back.

Dennis

It sounds like you'd prefer Pop at a discount over AoA at full price.
"Value" is the key word. I may be a lemming (Pam), but I'm a cheap lemming. It would be nice to check out the new resort, but not at rack rate. I'll just keep all my options open and see how it goes.

clanmcculloch

For less than $70 total I agree I'd try AoA, certainly while it's still new. We're paying more for an AoA suite than we would for a family suite at ASMu but it's not a lot more. Without a discount at AoA it WOULD be a lot more at AoA meaning we'd be skipping it.

I hope they do end up offering discounts later this year for AoA. Good luck!!!

jandeeah

Does AoA regular rooms have Fridges? I am assuming that it will have Free WiFi.

AliceIn

The resort is brand new and that will attract a lot of folks who want to come and check it out. I'd bet that things will be a lot more crowded at first. I don't get the grumbling about others sharing the food court and buses, as Disney encourages people to check out all the properties and enjoy the (non-pool) amenities. The same people grumbling about the possibility of not being able to use the pool are sneering that the pool is no big deal. Clearly sour grapes!

I do get the concern about the pool, though. For safety reasons alone, I would think that you'd limit pools to the guests of that resort to prevent overcrowding of the pool itself, or understaffing of lifeguards. We'll be staying at AoA in August -- hopefully there is room in the pool for us! :RpS_razz:

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Where it is not unusual for sister resorts to allow pool hopping, no one else is going to be able to do it. Plus.....think about it....if you have your kids and there is a pool just a few steps from your room.....are you really going to drag them clear across the way to the sister pool? The actual use of the hopping feature is used so seldom that it just doesn't create enough of a difference to be an issue. That is why Disney allows it. It's like with DVC who can hop to just about any pool on property (only 3 resorts are excluded.) It's just usually too much of an effort to use that perk. We did it a little last trip but it isn't something that I'd do all of the time and we only went to pools close to where we were at to start with.

As for using the food court.....again......seriously.....who do they think is coming over there?? The people from POP might venture over just to check it all out but reality is that POP has one of the best food courts on all property. AoA's would have to be pretty amazing to bring in a lot of people.