August 2021 stay against my better judgment

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

We are seasoned visitors but rely heavily on early arrivals and fastpasses usually, so I am very, very concerned about being able to enjoy this trip, especially with recent capacity increases. I have actually been thinking about cancelling the whole thing. My son is leaving for college and this is what he wants to do before he goes--but I am sure he thinks we are magically going to walk on rides as we used to (with proper planning). I am trying to lower his expectations. Any advice is much appreciated. We are willing to change up plans, get there super early (what time?) etc. Goal: ride all of the big rides everywhere. We usually take mid day breaks but maybe cannot without fastpasses. Is it reasonable that no matter what we do, we will be waiting in 30-60 minute rides for everything after the first hour or so? I will look for park itinerary help on that thread for arrival times, order of rides, etc.

Me, husband, 19 yo son
Arriving from upstate NY on 8/11 at 4pm. No car. Because we booked late and wanted the promo, we have multiple hotel stays due to availability. (We also like to walk to parks as much as possible). 7 nights. 4 day base tix plus Boo Bash.

Wed 11th: one night stay at YC. Arrive to hotel at 5,Dinner, mini golf or swim.
Th 12th: move to BW for 3 nights. Epcot all day but will take a break if needed.
Fri 13th: walk to DHS. Lunch at Brown Derby to take a long break but try to stay all day. May break for a couple hours to come back for a couple headliners. Will try for RotR but happy to skip Millenial Falcon.
Sat 14th: Animal Kingdom (bus)Will try for FoP first or last. Try for Yak and Yeti lunch.
Sun 15th: move to GF for 3 nights. Rest up at resort, Boo Bash at night if offered (if not, Boo Bash on 17th. Just guessing). Walk to MK for 7pm arrival.
Mon 16th: day off--pool, dinner at Disney Springs perhaps
Tues 17th: right now reserved for Magic Kingdom. May try to change if my son decides on a different preference for that last park day. Can walk back and forth for an afternoon break.
Wed 18th: brunch at hotel, depart from hotel around noon to fly home.

Thanks for feedback!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I don't know if you got a crazy good deal on the first night at YC, but assuming you're paying normal YC-type prices, and it's only one night, and you'll only be there about 12 hours, if it were me, I'd probably just stay off-site for that first night, take an Uber over to BW first thing the next morning to check in (room won't be ready yet) and proceed to Epcot. I'd take the savings (probably $300ish?) and put another day or two on my theme park tickets.

Strangeite

I don't know if you got a crazy good deal on the first night at YC, but assuming you're paying normal YC-type prices, and it's only one night, and you'll only be there about 12 hours, if it were me, I'd probably just stay off-site for that first night, take an Uber over to BW first thing the next morning to check in (room won't be ready yet) and proceed to Epcot. I'd take the savings (probably $300ish?) and put another day or two on my theme park tickets.

Even if the savings only gave you one additional park day, I think it would be worth it.

As for your park plans, they appear very doable. Being able to walk to both Hollywood and Magic Kingdom is going to be a huge advantage for you.

Definitely was considering such ideas, so good advice. There was some panic-booking involved. Could only get one night promo at YC, that night couldn't get promo at Boardwalk, and here we are. Part of me thought about adding another day, but part of me thinks I can't handle it and need the time off. But maybe 2 half days at dhs or ak is the better way to go. Thanks for helping me think it through!

DopeyRunr

I'm not sure how ticket purchasing works nowadays, but pre-COVID, you would have been able to add an additional day or more to your 4-day ticket, as long as you did it before the ticket was used up, so you could make a decision on the fly. Something to explore if you're on the fence but don't want to commit to a 5th (or 6th) day now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice offsite hotel for 1st night? Maybe close to disney springs or has a/is close to a good restaurant?

Micah008

Staff member
I agree with not doing YC the first night. The DS area hotels are a good option for off site, likely taking a few Uber rides.

A few other ideas to throw out there for that first night ... without a car if you want to get on-site through Magical Express you could always do a Value (or Moderate) that first night, and then let Disney take your bags to the next resort while you head to Epcot. We have done Pop Century before for this kind of thing.

The other option would be staying near the airport, or even staying at the Hyatt in the airport and then heading to Disney first thing in the morning. With Epcot not opening until a little later if gives you some time to get over there. We are considering staying at the Hyatt in the airport for our next trip and then using DME early the next morning to head to the resort.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
How much more would it be to just pay for that first night at BW on a separate reservation?

Disneyfan

For the first night, I would check out the airport Hyatt prices. We stayed there and enjoyed watching the planes take off and land. Have you checked out the Swan and/or Dolphin?

bnoble

he's right
How much more would it be to just pay for that first night at BW on a separate reservation?
Heck, now that they do per-night pricing, you might still get the promo on the later nights on a single reservation...it is worth a look.

This is one of those times that I would rather spend money to save hassle. But, either way I would try to revise the goal of "ride the big rides everywhere." Make 2-3 priorities in each park and figure out how to make those happen. Let the rest fall where it falls.

That was the original idea (all done on the phone on the fly). However, that first night at BW was $100 more than one night at YC, which happens to be our favorite resort. So, I quickly decided to do the YC since we might swim that night, use the $100 for dinner, and basically not unpack. I definitely could have gone either way. But, I admit--have never paid full price for a room at Disney and I was having a hard time doing it, especially when Boardwalk isn't really a dream resort to us.

In any case, after sleeping on all of the feedback, I am leaning heavily towards switching to Swan/Dolphin for first 4 nights, saving 800 or so, and adding a day or 2 to tix as suggested. If my son really wants to do as much as possible in the parks (which was not my initial plan), it doesn't seem worth it to spend so much on the resort. We mainly care about proximity those first few nights. We will relax more at the GF (or at least I will!)

Thoughts? Thank you!

Heck, now that they do per-night pricing, you might still get the promo on the later nights on a single reservation...it is worth a look.

This is one of those times that I would rather spend money to save hassle. But, either way I would try to revise the goal of "ride the big rides everywhere." Make 2-3 priorities in each park and figure out how to make those happen. Let the rest fall where it falls.
Yup I do keep checking.

And I completely agree about revising the goal. Now, how to get the teen on board with that!

Am I completely delusional to imagine there may be some sort of fastpass in play in August? I cannot wrap my brain around increasing capacity to 70% in the summer but having no fastpass at all. I do hope maybe there will be some late and early hours. Something to make this work.

DopeyRunr

Am I completely delusional to imagine there may be some sort of fastpass in play in August? I cannot wrap my brain around increasing capacity to 70% in the summer but having no fastpass at all. I do hope maybe there will be some late and early hours. Something to make this work.
The biggest barrier to the return of FP+ is that they're using that queue on a lot of attractions for socially distanced spacing, so as that relaxes, there's an opportunity to re-claim the FP+ queues for actual FP+ guests. The second biggest barrier would be communicating the change to guests in enough time that they could make a reservation. Not sure how much WDW is really caring about stuff like guest experience right now to be honest...

Strangeite

I am not sure that we will ever see the return of FP+, at least in the way it was implemented in the Before Times.

That all makes sense. For some reason I feel like I am going to wake up in the morning when I am there and find surprise fastpasses in my app. I suppose this saves me from feeling like a complete sucker for planning a trip at possibly the worst time in this whole pandemic stretch (from a guest experience point of view). That is not meant to minimize all of the hardship caused by the pandemic, etc., just want to make that clear.

Thanks again, everyone! I look forward to your help soon over on the theme park strategy thread :)

DopeyRunr

Every family is different, but for about three years we've been planning a Summer 2021 trip out west for our daughter's high school graduation. We just had an honest talk with her about how, for the cost and the significantly reduced experience (we expect), we'd like to reschedule it for Summer 2022 instead. She was totally onboard when we explained the kinds of compromises we were expected to have to make. Instead, we're spending a week with Grandma in Sarasota. Something for you to consider - a Summer 2022 trip would be superior in nearly every way imaginable. Not least of which, you could probably go in mid-May when his semester ends. For slightly better weather and slightly more moderate crowds.

bnoble

he's right
Speaking of which, I think we've settled on a week in Ibiza plus either Barcelona or Valencia for my son's college graduation next year. My daugther's college grad trip to Tokyo/Kyoto/TDR from 2020 is still "in deferment."