August 2021 stay against my better judgment

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Ain’t that the truth? Even days where we have nothing “planned,” we have everything “planned.”

Kinda goes back to the old TGM planning, where people got so obsessed with the "perfect plan", and I'd suggest always knowing what you can do if something knocks you off schedule. Especially with young kids, extra bathroom breaks, tantrums, spills/clothing changes, etc. are guaranteed to happen, and they slow you down. Apply that same logic to "we have no plan, so what are our no hassle options?"

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Kinda goes back to the old TGM planning, where people got so obsessed with the "perfect plan", and I'd suggest always knowing what you can do if something knocks you off schedule. Especially with young kids, extra bathroom breaks, tantrums, spills/clothing changes, etc. are guaranteed to happen, and they slow you down. Apply that same logic to "we have no plan, so what are our no hassle options?"
It didn’t take me long into my first TGM Trip to realize that all that planning down to the minute was just boredom, my wanting to be doing “something” to plan. Sure, we followed the general outline once the trip started, but all those sheets I printed off (remember printers?) went unused and, worse, killed many trees in the process. That wast the last time.

It didn’t take me long into my first TGM Trip to realize that all that planning down to the minute was just boredom, my wanting to be doing “something” to plan. Sure, we followed the general outline once the trip started, but all those sheets I printed off (remember printers?) went unused and, worse, killed many trees in the process. That wast the last time.
Second trip ever (son was about 4) and we were traveling with my sister and her 4 kids (their first time, and they were relying exclusively on me). Boy did I have things mapped out using TGM. MK first day...I had my neat little index card listing everything out perfectly for all 9 of us, down to height requirements, etc...I dropped it/lost it on our first ride, Dumbo. Ha! I faked it the rest of the day. (Truth be told I probably had memorized it anyway, but still.)

Disneyfan

Second trip ever (son was about 4) and we were traveling with my sister and her 4 kids (their first time, and they were relying exclusively on me). Boy did I have things mapped out using TGM. MK first day...I had my neat little index card listing everything out perfectly for all 9 of us, down to height requirements, etc...I dropped it/lost it on our first ride, Dumbo. Ha! I faked it the rest of the day. (Truth be told I probably had memorized it anyway, but still.)
This was painful to read! Welp, I still plan my park days this way. I have a big copy that I print and a version that I shrink and laminate to keep in my pocket. This will be the first trip in a long long long time that I may not have everything mapped out. Scary!

Disneyfan

You're right! I came to the TGM party late in the game. But I remember standing outside of RnRc and watching the wait time sign explode to an enormous number as we stood there looking at it. I was panicking and shouting to my kids that TGM said HS was supposed to be a green park that day. I was frozen for a bit and couldn't decide what to do. Off topic and a another repeat of something I said in the past, but I remember seeing Grandma Barb, our June Vacation Club leader, when we exited Soarin' and I didn't stop to say hi. I always regret that and think of her when we get off the ride or when TGM is brought up here.

Disneyfan

@ Adrienne
Our trip is just days away, and I am just NOW figuring out a plan. All I have finished is MK at the moment. Disney opened Park Reservations again last week. So IDK how these plans will work with increased capacity. But at least I will have something. I think you only asked about AK and HS on other threads, but I HAVE to share my work with someone. DD is not interested. She just says to tell her where to go. I think she is in for a rude awaking since we don't have FP. Oh well, we will have fun. So here goes . . . My plan for you to see! :)

I have all summer to rest! Next week is fun fun fun time!
Sunday - Arrival Day
Arrive at MCO at 9:00 - Spend afternoon floating around MK Dinner at GF Cafe
Monday - MK QS lunch/Narcoossee's
Tuesday - MK Plaza lunch/Cali
Wednesday - AK Yak and Yeti lunch and move to YC - EP evening snack around the world
Thursday - EP Topolino/Dinner
Friday - BB in the AM; II Mulino ADR Maybe EP in the evening
Saturday - HS Sci Fi Lunch; Cape May dinner (maybe I should dump this one)
Sunday - HS B & C lunch (I am wondering if I should dump this one, too); Ale and Compass Dinner (maybe To Go instead of ADR)
Monday - AK, check out; Wave lunch ADR; one last walk around MK; Flight home at 9 pm

So I have looked over Josh's charts and made some of my own. I tried to figure out the best order to ride things. If we are behind schedule or a ride is not working, we will just skip it and move on. Hopefully, we can catch the missed ride in the evening. 10 min/3 min = How long I hope the wait is/How long the ride is. Boy oh boy, I hope capacity does not crazy increase next week.
Monday - Magic Kingdom
Leave GF at 6:30
Queue at 7 Dwarfs – If line is too long, skip it.
7:30 7 Dwarfs 10 min/3 min
7:45 Peter Pan 10 min/3 min
8:05 BTMRR 10 min/3 min
8:20 Jungle Cruise 15 min/10 min
8:45 Pirates 15 min/8 min
9:15 Haunted Mansion 15 min/10 min
9:45 Small World 45 min/18 min-I wonder if this time includes the pre-show???)
Lunch at Tomorrowland Terrace ADR 12:10
Go to show(s) Philharmagic/Tiki Birds
Dole Whip
Return to GF for break
ADR Narcoossee’s @ 5:15
Return to MK for a ride or two

Last edited:

Disneyfan

Tuesday - MK
Leave GF at 6:30
7:30 Space Mountain (X2??)
8:00 Astro Orbiter 10 min/2 min
8:15 Buzz 10 min/4 min
8:35 Pooh 15 min/4 min
9:00 Tea cups 10 min/2 min
9:20 Dumbo
9:35 Barnstormer
9:50 Mermaid
TTA
Buzz
??/if time
12:10 ADR Plaza
Show/Swiss Family Treehouse/Dole Whip
Break at hotel
7:15 ADR California Grill

@Disneyfan,
I am so hoping for an awesome trip for you! I love your ambitious plans (except for Astro Orbiter. Never again! I am afraid of heights in certain situations, when I feel unsecure. I was in the car behind my son when he was like 4 and was convinced he was going to fall out at any moment. :) Did not enjoy that ride.) I am so glad you are doing Philharmagic. I am probably very much in the minority but it is a must do for me!

I love seeing the MK plans. The only reason I didn't ask about those, is, we are doing Boo Bash so that takes some of the pressure of planning off in terms of getting to ride favorites. But I will obsess over the MK days too! Can't wait to hear about Narcoossee's. I always think about booking it but never do. Love GF cafe for breakfast and dinner. I am curious about how you picked Il Mulino. Good experience? Also, for what it's worth since you are on the fence, my son cannot stand the smell of Cape May dinner, even though he loves seafood. When you get anywhere near the place, there is a very fishy smell--combined with a rather rambunctious atmosphere usually--loud, people waiting, milling about, etc. rather unappealing. Probably very different now, but still--it always gave us a yucky feeling when we walked by. We have avoided it for that reason, even though we have stayed there many times. In my humble opinion, there are better options for you, especially on the kind of trip you are on! Maybe it is better these days without the traditional buffet. Please educate me if I am wrong, and definitely get advice from someone who has actually been there lately!!

I have also decided to bag B and C this trip. Just a thought--you could do hollywood brown derby for lunch that day...the Cobb salad is 20 bucks. Frankly if you both got that it would be about the same as B and C, and it would be a very comfortable respite from the heat. We are trying that this time around as a break from DHS craziness.

I really hope the crowds don't ruin it for you. I will be watching! And I am here for your last minute planning posts! :) Good luck!

Disneyfan

Thank you for sharing in my joy, Adrienne! We've never been to B&C or Cape May. So that was the thinking on that one. By that point of the trip, I will probably be stuffed past my ears. We may even just grab QS. We will have a day or so to cruise by Cape May before our ADR and check out the smell situation that I hear so much about. To reduce Zoom and F2F teaching stress this year, I would watch YouTube videos about WDW. Like I would watch them every night and just dream about our trip. II Mulino may have paid people for good reviews, but it seemed like a good place to try close to the hotel. I'll have to get back to you on that one. :)