August 2021 stay against my better judgment

Samy1000

Adrienne-we (my husband, 15 year old son, myself) are headed to WDW 8/7-8/14. My husband and I were there at the end of May for a short anniversary trip and had a great low-key trip; and we totally “won” Disney. 😂
We booked this August trip (minus our 20 something daughter who can’t tag along due to obligations at work) for our family with the mindset that we’re going to make this a “foodie and experience Disney differently” trip. Rope drop in the morning, tasty foods and room/pool afternoons, then maybe evening park time. We’ve decided to just have fun with one another and do Disney a little differently (for us anyway). I say to you-enjoy the time with your son, enjoy F&W, enjoy pool time and afternoon naps. If this were a one time family trip, we would probably wait. For us, it’s not one and done and we’re approaching this through a different lens. My “baby” is only getting older and we cherish every opportunity we have-be it Disney, the coast, or visiting another country. Go have fun and cherish-my humble penny’s worth. 😊

Last edited:
Adrienne-we (my husband, 15 year old son, myself) are headed to WDW 8/7-8/14. My husband and I were there at the end of May for a short anniversary trip and had a great low-key trip; and we totally “won” Disney. 😂
We booked this August trip (minus our 20 something daughter who can’t tag along due to obligations at work) for our family with the mindset that we’re going to make this a “foodie and experience Disney differently” trip. Rope drop in the morning, tasty foods and room/pool afternoons, then maybe evening park time. We’ve decided to just have fun with one another and do Disney a little differently (for us anyway). I say to you-enjoy the time with your son, enjoy F&W, enjoy pool time and afternoon naps. If this were a one time family trip, we would probably wait. For us, it’s not one and done and we’re approaching this through a different lens. My “baby” is only getting older and we cherish every opportunity we have-be it Disney, the coast, or visiting another country. Go have fun and cherish-my humble penny’s worth. 😊
Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful time with your boy.

mancher01

First off--anyone who is not in the mood to listen to me whine about going to Disney World this summer, please ignore this post! I am getting tired of it too, yet here I am again. I am revisiting this issue because of lots of recent announcements/changes/etc.

I would love to hear from others planning a trip this summer in light of recent Disney announcements about onsite "perks" coming in October. As more October announcements are made, and as things return to "normal" for summer in terms of crowds, August is looking more and more grim. The more good news there is for October, the worse I feel about the summer.

Once again, I am questioning my decision to go in August, in light of near capacity crowds, a return to "rope drop" procedures vs soft early openings, no fast passes on the horizon, long restaurant waits even with ADRs, etc. I even spoke with guest services and they basically agreed that coming this summer and spending a lot of money is not the best idea (I paraphrase of course.) I am completely accustomed to spending money at Disney to have a comfortable trip. And I understand that Disney needs to make money first and foremost. What I can't understand, however, is why they have increased capacity so quickly, without installing anything that would make the crowds bearable in the summer months. I at least want to pretend like Disney "cares" about its summer guests. So it is hard for me to spend thousands, knowing that for the next 18 months, there will be a lot more value in that money at Disney.

I am sure anyone still reading this is thinking, "so don't go!" Which is a perfectly valid thing to say. The hard part is how badly my son wants to go this summer. But, he doesn't really understand the "cost", and also, he magically thinks things will be as amazing as they usually are. He certainly will accept and go along with whatever I say, but it would definitely be me making the call alone not to go.

Any-hoo...is anyone else cancelling a summer trip? Thinking about it? Want to discuss?
My wife and I are going 8/6-8/13, with a couple days at Universal before that. This is a makeup for a big anniversary/birthday trip from last summer. We always visit the end of July/early August around our anniversary, with a mid-August trip a couple of years ago being the exception. We've been itching to go since we had to cancel our trip and both know it will be completely different from our previous trips. Adjusting and lowering expectations will be the key.

This will be our first trip without FP+, which is both liberating and as the planner, terrifying. Without FP+, I'm just sitting down to start planning our days now. While our MO has been I plan then we follow said plan and improvise as needed, I'm trying to embrace the freedom of not having to be at a specific ride within a specific window. We all know how stressful that can be at times. It'll also be about lowering and managing expectations, as we're used to doing so much by cycling through extra FP+. With FP+ out, we'll make the most of rope drops and the last couple of hours before close, probably with more mid-day breaks than we'd usually take. That'll be a nice change of pace.

As far as table service, we typically only do a couple of meals per trip anyway and plan them for mid-day when we're not in a rush. The bright side is this will be our first trip during F&W, which will be a nice change of pace. We have hoppers so we can check that out as we wish.

While Disney has increased park capacity, they also haven't opened any more resorts. And today they started offering discount rooms in August for Florida residents. I think this is cause for some optimism. While the lack of new resorts is at least in part because of staffing, room discounts seem to suggest the demand domestically is not there.

Our last trip was during AP previews of GE, which we were not privy to. As huge SW fans, that is one of our main motivators for going. We were excited to see the return of fireworks, and with a month to go are hopeful (but not overly optimistic) more offerings will return. We know this trip will not be the same, but are focusing on the chance for it to be a different trip. While we're sad we're going to miss out on the new offerings in October (Free Remy!), the news of paid FP+ and EMH for Deluxe guests are probably going to keep us away for a couple of years until priorities shift for the better.

Everyone is going to view and prioritize things differently and there's no one right answer. Perhaps it's convincing myself we are doing the right thing, but I think there's enough there to feel good about going.

cinderellagirl

Sometimes low/ no expectation trips are the best ones! DH and I went a few years ago for a couple of days with "low key" being our goal. We wanted to do things we're always too busy to do. We wanted to enjoy details. Riding main street vehicles was one of our priorities!!

It ended up being one of our best trips! We were chosen as family of the day to help with opening MK which was a dream come true for me! And with that came.... a private ride down mainstreet!!

I realize things are different now in so many ways, but just wanted to encourage you that you never know what might happen! Good luck with whatever you decide!