August trip instagram

nursepaula

Will be going 8/20-28, it's a surprise for the kids and also will be juggling grad school assignments because I'm a genius with scheduling like that. Thought easiest way to share my excitement with... anyone, would be to send my grams out, insta-like. Started an account for our trip today, so anyone wanting to follow can find me @richardsatwdw16

josh

Administrator
Staff member
If you tweet me a picture along with "feels crowded" I will retweet it ;) so long as there's either nobody or a lot of people in the picture. Either really works.

L

Linkura

If you tweet me a picture along with "feels crowded" I will retweet it ;) so long as there's either nobody or a lot of people in the picture. Either really works.
Maybe I should sign up for Twitter so I can do this and be Disney Nerd-famous.

nursepaula

Animal Kingdom, 8/21

I'll be editing as I get a chance. Introducing the cast and etc. like a normal TR- thought I might get started now with our plans going in. I managed to get our first day done in between bouts of homework and dozing off on our 14+ hour ride home today. I hope to add in pics after my MM share download is done.

Sunday: Animal Kingdom
Crowd Level 6, most recommended park

The plan:
RD-3:30
6am wake up *snort* Drive to Fort Wilderness to check in and make sure we could use our MBs for the dining plan. Breakfast in the car.
Everest x2 with contingency FP+ for 9:55, in case we were to oversleep.
Meet Mickey/Minnie
Discovery Island to pick up Wilderness Explorer books
Meet Russell/Dug from Up?
Flights of Wonder 10:30 show
Meet Baloo & King Louis
Wilderness Explorer stuff and trails
Safari FP+ 11:45
Tusker House 12:40
Nemo 2pm show
Triceratops Spin and Boneyard
Kali River Rapids FP+ 3:15

Dinner at Sanaa 6:50

--------------------------------------
What really went down:

Can't remember when we actually managed to wake up but it didn't feel painful. We pulled up to the Reception Outpost at Ft. Wilderness to activate our MBs and pick up birthday buttons for the week at about 7:15.
Breakfast in the car consisted of nothing but the best in Poptarts and hostess mini muffins. We arrived at the AK gates by 8:15 and sweated out til opening.
Everest x2 with child swap- short story long, DD6a was tall enough, DD6b was not. They had their physicals the week before and were the exact same height barefoot so it was down to the shoes, and we couldn't find any that she liked wearing enough to use in the parks that also helped her gain the 1/16" necessary to make 44". We got a swap ticket and in we went while DH waited his turn with Thing 2. When we sat down in our seats, babygirl lost. Her. Mind. "Uh, ma'am, you can't ride if she's hysterical." Sigh. I know. I'm sorry (read: MORTIFIED). Older girls rode on their own and again with DH. No Everest for me this trip.
Switched 9:55 FP+ to 2p Nemo
Met Mickey/Minnie
Picked up Wilderness Explorer books
Moseying back to Asia for Flights of Wonder 10:30 show we noticed KRR stand by was "only 10 minutes". DDs 8 & 9 were like, "we are going on, 'k bye!" DH followed, twins "didn'tn want to get wet." Sigh. Ok. Waited and they got wet anyway on the fountain/sprayers by the lockers *sideeye*
5 minutes or so into our wait, I thought to check the time and it was 10:25. Okey dokey- No FoW for us.
Met Baloo & King Louis.
Earned a couple of Wilderness Explorer badges and went to check on the Dug/Russell line- no dice. Ended up getting photopass pics in front of the tree instead.
Wandered through some shops on our way to the safari, bought nothing. Said hi to the gorillas.
Safari FP+ 11:45- think we entered the line around 12:15?
Regardless, at12:38 we were still on the ride, whoops!
Tusker House 12:40 ADR, we checked in at 12:47 but were seated almost immediately. They had sweet plantain which made my day!
While enjoying dessert DH checks the time and it was... 1:42
He took off with the little legs to Nemo while I waited on the check.
Made the 2pm Nemo show at 1:56 and found seats on the bleachers up top. Maybe time has made us forget just how cool the FotLK was, because we all felt that we liked Nemo show better?
Got to experience what walking on the surface of the sun feels like while checking out Triceratops Spin and the Boneyard. I noticed loads of guests walking around with their frosty beers in hand and I was so jealous! There was no way my body could handle any amount of alcohol in that heat, however.
Kali River Rapids FP+ 3:15 we made on time and were out of the park around 3:45 and back at Windsor Hills by 4:06.

Got a swim, shower and catnap before checking in at Sanaa at 6:48 for our 6:50 ADR.

L

Linkura

Ugh at DD6b being only 1/16" short for EE!

Really like the report so far. Looking forward to reading more. How was Sanaa? That's the first ADR of our trip!

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
Loved all the pics on Instagram! Seems like what we plan and what actually happens are two different things lol. That's okay though as it's still Walt Disney World! Sorry DD6b wasn't tall enough :(

nursepaula

Ugh at DD6b being only 1/16" short for EE!

Really like the report so far. Looking forward to reading more. How was Sanaa? That's the first ADR of our trip!

Srsly- for Mission:SPACE, we literally went thru with DD6a, met her twin and DH at the exit, the girls switched shoes and off went group #2. We even have two pairs of the same style of sneakers, not sure if the too-short-twin's pair is more broken in or what. The CM at M:S actually said, "oh, she's a hair too short!"

Sanaa was mine a DD8's fave. With the DxDP, we had apps AND dessert along with our entrees. The bread service was covered, and I had fully intended to pay OOP for that. Sooo good. However, we are chickens about hot-spicy things and now am wondering if we could have subbed the "picante" things for another piece of the milder bread and cucumber sauce... ETA: our second adult app was the oxtail- que bueno! With the hominy it reminded me of hornado de chancho, which I hadn't eaten in years. DH got the steak because he's a MAN and I got the butter chicken and braised beef. Coulda done with just the chicken. The little ones ate all of their carrot sticks and... pizza? On any day, a "clean" plate is worthy of an award ceremony. On this day, they won ice cream and a s'mores thing. We had a s'more-thing at practically every restaurant, however, so not sure how Sanaa's particular s'more-thing ended up rating for them. DDs 8 & 9 had the seasonal (mango) sorbet, DH had the trio/sampler, and I had some lemon custard thingy. I would reorder the povu based on the bite I took off DH's plate- yum!

I have the rest of my notes on my phone, and that huge word block up there took me about 12,000 car hours to type, then select, accidentally select all, deselect, cut, paste, paste, undo, delete, retype and then post!

We had the kids in their beds by 9pm tonight, and they start school in the morning. Fingers crossed I can finish the text portion of the TR in the next couple of days.

Jill- thanks so much for following along! Up next? That moment when you miss Epcot RD because the GPS leads you to the cast member entrance (not kidding).

Last edited:
L

Linkura

Thanks Paula! Since we're having dinner 4.5 hours later at Jiko and it's just the two of us, we'll probably skip the full bread service, but my husband is going to get the tandoori chicken, which comes with a piece, and I think I'm going to ask for just one piece myself. I'll probably just get samosas and maybe we'll share the dessert trio if we're not too full. :)

nursepaula

Thanks Paula! Since we're having dinner 4.5 hours later at Jiko and it's just the two of us, we'll probably skip the full bread service, but my husband is going to get the tandoori chicken, which comes with a piece, and I think I'm going to ask for just one piece myself. I'll probably just get samosas and maybe we'll share the dessert trio if we're not too full. :)

I hear ya. This was DH and I the entire trip (sub "pie" for funnel cake, brownies, dole whip...):
dori pie.jpg

mqwho

Hahaha. Disney is super snack central. I had to follow the insta, too! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

nursepaula

Epcot

Monday, 8/22, CL 5, recommended park

The plan:
RD for Joy/Sadness meet
Soarin'
Land
Gran Fiesta Tour
Akershus 10:55
World Showcase walk up to Germany or Italy then boat back to FW
TestTrack FP+
M:S FP+
Spaceship Earth FP+
Leave by 2:30

Cape May Café Clambake @ 5:15

--------------------------------------------------
What had happened was...

DH decided that being at a park 45 minutes prior to open was ridiculous and decided we would be ok to leave the condo "by 8:15." We maybe left a couple of minutes before that even though the kids and I were ready to go at 7:45 :RpS_rolleyes:. Anyway, this may have worked ok, except we ended up at the cast member entrance because technology never fails. I noticed nothing until I heard the GPS say, "turn left onto Backstage Rd(/Ln/Blvd/Way?)" :RpS_w00t: I was laughing so hard I was crying as we pulled up to the security entrance and DH then only heard about half of the directions the security guard was giving him for the getting to the front entrance. Made a right instead of a left...

We parked at 8:40ish and spent THE LONGEST LINE WAIT of the entire trip at bag check- score!

We stuck with the Joy/Sadness meet even though the wait was 20-30 minutes because the girls knew we were supposed to start there and had been really looking forward to it. DH is afraid of heights/flying and was in full support of this because of the potential for skipping Soarin'. I waited in line while DH took the girls to meet Baymax and then they joined me. It was 10ish before we were done at the not-that-Character-Spot and Soarin' standby was at 35 minutes. DDs6 had never been on it and I knew that they would love it. DH noticed that waits at The Seas were 5 minutes and said something to the girls (Me: waits are ALWAYS 5 minutes, let's please move to the Land pavilion...) Well, girls remembered the Nemo ride and Crush, got all excited and off they went.:RpS_blink:

We did Nemo and then played around the Seas. Bathroom break and checked into Crush - wait was 20+ so we headed to Mexico.

Give my girls a boat and some animatronics, and day = made. We could ride the Gran Fiesta Tour on repeat all day and they wouldn't mind! We only had enough time for one ride right then, and then we walked to Akershus for breakfast - checked in a few minutes early but then waited about 15 minutes to be seated. More thoughts on our meals later.

Stepped out of brunch and FEA wait was at 60 minutes. We had FP+ for Friday night so no worries. Moved up the WS and made it up as far as Germany where we found out that the boat was out of commission for the day and experienced some meltdowns from the little people who were tired and hot.

We turned around and headed back to FW. Kids were enticed to "keep swimming" by promising stops at the Sommerhus and another Gran Fiesta ride on our way.

We messed around with our FP+ times so much that day, I don't honestly remember when we got around to TT and M:S. I think M:S was first and we all rode green, with DDs 8 & 9 riding twice with the ride swap pass. I was hoping to try orange but was still feeling really full of scrambled eggs and lox. Which reminds me, we saw a lot of (other people's) vomit on this trip. Maybe TMI, but we don't remember seeing anyone have issues on our first trip. A little girl got sick right outside of Sanaa's check in desk as we were arriving for dinner the previous night, and DD9 almost walked into it; there were also CMs cleaning up spillage outside of TT and M:S on this day.

DDs6 enjoyed both TT and M:S but kept asking about Spaceship Earth, remembering it from our last visit. I was getting a little nervous because by then it was going on 3pm and we had wanted to take a break before dinner at the Beach Club. We went ahead with the SE FP+ and I think left the park around 4, leaving us just enough time to shower and change for dinner.

At this point, DH and the big girls said :lalala: to going to Epcot a second day. The girls were not amused by the little bit of WS we saw and the only must-do on Friday was FEA because that's the only time FP+ was available for us. So we walked back to Epcot thru the IG after dinner to catch Soarin'. We hopped on that, checked out Club Cool and the UK, Canada and France pavilions, not in that order. We kept an eye out for FEA, but it was down that whole evening until the last hour when the wait was 105 minutes when it reopened. Sounds like a good excuse to plan another trip to check it out, tho. We walked back to BCR and saw the Star Wars Fireworks in the distance to end the night.

We had the girls in bed by 9:30 for MK rope drop the next day.

L

Linkura

I'm wondering if all the vomit was due to the heat?

I've already told my DH he needs to listen to my itinerary. No late departures for RD for us if I can help it!! :RpS_angry:

nursepaula

requested!!! Sounds like a fun trip!!! Minus the vom, and the 1/16"- whattttt!!!!

Sent a follow request! (the angry tea room)

If either of you don't mind scrolling back through last week's pics and enduring some terrible hashtags, you have come to the right place!

Linkura, I have no idea. Our last trip was in early September. DH had the car keys and anxiety issues so whatever. He saw my plans and felt that we weren't sprinting to any particular attraction so would have time to "mosey" on in without having to stand in an open air sauna with a couple of thousand new friends :noidea: It was otherwise a good day- just a very long one!