Benefits of the easy guide book

Cute pixie

I have spent many hours going over this forum, I have read all of the posts from easywdw.con for the last couple months, and am reading pretty much any information I can find online to help us with our trip to WDW next year. What advantages come from reading the book that aren't already in the forum and easywdw.com? Since we are going the end of February should I buy it now or wait until the 2017 version comes out?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
My mom will make less fun of me when the sales figures come in.

kate81

Sounds like the 2017 version is going to be out in a couple weeks, so I'd say wait (or buy both!)

Benefits:
- I have been frequenting this forum/blog and others prior to this for years. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on things and don't often learn new info from other websites or books. But there were several things in this book that were helpful and new to me.
- It's fun to read!! I read it cover to cover and really enjoyed it. I like Dave and Josh's writing style. My 11 year old read it cover to cover as well, possibly more than once. I see her with it all the time.
- It's a little easier to navigate in some ways than the website for specific pieces of information.
- It is a way to support Josh! I have utilized this website for several trips and love that buying the book is a way to get a little money in his pocket and help him out. Really, his advice is worth much more than the cost of the book, but it's something.

I'm sure there are other benefits. I am really glad I purchased the book and I plan to get the next edition as soon as it's out.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
This post from last year goes over what the book has to offer:

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/site-news/the-easy-guide-to-your-first-walt-disney-world-visit-2016-now-available/

I think the most helpful aspect will be the organization. It walks you through planning your trip from start to finish and offers advice for completing each step. So if you are wondering what Josh/Dave think about which tickets you should buy, or whether you should get the dining plan, or whether you should upgrade the view, or whether you should spend two nights at Hollywood Studios, or what we think about All-Star Sports versus Pop Century, or what room types there are at Port Orleans Riverside, or what restaurant you might want to visit for a date night or which characters appear at which buffets or what time of year is best to visit for the coolest weather then the book offers all of that in a format much more organized than that sentence. And even in the Internet age it's kind of fun to rifle/riffle through a physical book. Plus when you buy the physical copy you get the Kindle version "free" and this year we are also sending along an updated version of the PDF as the book is updated. So you could buy the version that comes out and then still have the newest information in the transportable PDF file. Or wait until the book is updated in the winter or spring or something.

Dave Shute

- It's a little easier to navigate in some ways than the website for specific pieces of information.
Kinda building on what Josh said, it is a simple and clearly organized way to get consistent info on all the key topics at the same level of detail and the same level of up-to-date-ness. A website tends to reward a flow of interest, but is more likely to be out of date and have a lot of words to work through, but a book rewards a flow of attention--that is, it's easier to learn new stuff from a book.

Honestly I think people would be better off if they started with our book, then used our websites to get the rest of the story...

kate81

Kinda building on what Josh said, it is a simple and clearly organized way to get consistent info on all the key topics at the same level of detail and the same level of up-to-date-ness. A website tends to reward a flow of interest, but is more likely to be out of date and have a lot of words to work through, but a book rewards a flow of attention--that is, it's easier to learn new stuff from a book.

Honestly I think people would be better off if they started with our book, then used our websites to get the rest of the story...
I agree - I have several friends asking me how to go about planning their upcoming trips - I keep telling them to check out the websites but make sure to get the book and just read it through even though it seems overwhelming!

mqwho

Support your favorite blogs in the best way you truly can. You are paying hundreds and/or thousands and obviously interested in getting information to make it the best possible time; why not spend a couple of bucks for easier access to the information they provide for you?

Travelmum

Yep I really appreciated the free trip planning help I got from the EasyWDW site as well as the people on the EasyWDW forums when planning our 2011 trip and, in the months leading up to our trip, daily checked for new blog posts because reading them added to the excitement that I felt that we were finally going to WDW. When I worked out that we'd be able to go back to WDW in January 2017, I visited the site again for the first time in years. When I saw that Josh had been involved in a book, I immediately bought it (the Kindle version as I'm not sure that the actual book is sold in stores here in New Zealand) because I thought that it was the least I could do to thank him for his very helpful website.

gccmedina

I buy a new book each time it comes out and also get it for clients. It is the best planning advice on the planet and if Josh won't take my money I will buy and support his book. Plus we don't want his mother laughing at him.:RpS_thumbsup:

Kimann

I buy a new book each time it comes out and also get it for clients. It is the best planning advice on the planet and if Josh won't take my money I will buy and support his book. Plus we don't want his mother laughing at him.:RpS_thumbsup:
This! And I don't have clients (well not Disney clients) but I do have friends that are always asking me for advice and Josh's book always shows up in their mailbox from Amazon after our first conversation!

D

dawn

someone posted on the most recent blog a congrats for the 2017 book on Amazon, I don't see it there...obviously I'm waiting to buy it...any idea when it will be available ? or is it available and I am lame..? (be nice) LOL

Micklessor

I buy it as a way to show my appreciation to Josh, I also buy one for others that are planning trips so I don't have to try and explain things. I also like to see whose name is above the other on with each edition (weird, I know...)

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I would hold off on purchasing the 2017 version until the Kindle/Kindle Matchbook is loaded.

mgarbowski

I would hold off on purchasing the 2017 version until the Kindle/Kindle Matchbook is loaded.
Do you know whether that will that be reflected in the "UPDATED" notice on the Amazon page soon after it actually happens, and is it accurate for both the hard copy and Kindle versions? Thanks. I'm another who is ready to buy but can wait.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're asking? It should be ready to go for Monday.

revral

I buy a new Easy Guide & a new Passporter every year. They both get used to plan each trip. I've made nine trips, am planning my tenth (November/December) & have probably spent a solid three months at Disney World when you combine all of my trips but even after all that experience I still rely on those two guides & websites.

mgarbowski

I'm not sure what you're asking? It should be ready to go for Monday.
I just mean that on Amazon it says "Updated March 20, 2016. The most current Walt Disney World guidebook available!"

I was asking if for example when you say it should be updated on Monday will it say "Updated August 8, 2016."

momof2boys

Purchased my 2017 edition and Kindle version too. Very exciting! Thank you and Congratulations to Josh and Dave!