Best Park Days?

cboyer

Little word of warning on the dining plan. Everyone staying in the same room must have the same dining plan. So just getting it for one person won't work, it will have to be both or neither.

We are usually in the same boat, rarely if ever do QS, and we always in the past did a lot of character meals with some signatures thrown in. But every year I run the math and it is still cheaper to do it on our own at this time, especially with TIW. I think it is the signatures that make it not worth it for us, as using two credits for those is rarely worth it. The costs this past year though are starting to hit my limits for a lot of the character meals and buffets. We will be cutting back on them next year and replacing them with regular TS meals, which should hopefully control costs.

hizouse

Little word of warning on the dining plan. Everyone staying in the same room must have the same dining plan. So just getting it for one person won't work, it will have to be both or neither.
Everyone who Disney knows is staying in the room must have the same dining plan.

Anne

So for $100, we could convert 3 QS meals to TS dinners and add extra snacks, refillable mugs, more alcohol and specialty drinks, and not worry about prices at QS locations. On our last trip in 2018, we'd often at a QS get 4 kids meals and 1 adult meal for the 5 of us; with the DDP all of us--especially our big 9-year-old--can order off the adult menus.
This so sums up the struggle! Every time I try to plan a bare bones "budget" (for Disney) trip this type of calculation sucks me back into the world of ADRs. The dining plan is never the cheapest option. But as soon as you factor in a few TS meals, the dining plan becomes "just a little bit more" to get "so much more" in food and meal experiences and "not worry" about prices. They are crafty those Disney back office number-crunchers.

They are crafty those Disney back office number-crunchers.
Oh yeah. If you're planning $60 buffets and $7 snacks at some points during your trip anyway, you may as well get some alcohol and a QS for "free". First DDP got more people used to taking the time to eat well at WDW, now they're getting more people to imbibe in the bubble which should result in future habits too.

Plus when people are using DDP or Free Food, they don't balk at a $7 pretzel or Food Booth Slider. Over-priced items feel like a great value on the plan, and people are less like to gripe at guest relations that it was bad quality for the price when they didn't pay directly overpay for that item (it's hidden, like Mickey) :D

Anne

Thanks, Anne, for the analysis. I suppose I haven’t been keeping track of menu prices, so maybe DxDP (definitely with only one of us getting it) does make sense for us, because we rarely, if ever, do QS, and enjoy our TS meal breaks and evenings out. We’ll just have to make sure we use the up credits from our first stay by the day we check out of the first resort; 12 credits over five days should be achievable.
I don't want to give you bad information about shared credits and I am uncertain if the policy has changed since we last used this strategy.

I saw a link on another site to a moms panel reply to a question about sharing dining credits. July 2019 they state it is NOT permitted.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/question/may-share-meal-entitlements-disney-dining-plan-others-not-404914/

I looked up the dining plan details page on Disney's site and sharing is not addressed.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disney-dining-plan/

When we first used this strategy it was 3ish years ago when Disney updated the official terms. They made a bunch of changes that got a lot of internet coverage (like dropping desserts from QS but adding a snack, formally stating you can convert 1 QS to 3 snacks). On the official Disney page they explicitly stated you could share credits with those not on the plan. But I'm not seeing that stated on their site anymore.

You can definitely still have 4 people on the plan, order 4 meals, and split them between 6 people (as we did several times this summer with the grandparents). But I don't know what would have happened if we had 4 people on the plan and tried to order 6 meals, we haven't done that in the last year.

It's making me rethink our strategy for our upcoming March 2020 trip. We have 2 rooms and I was planning on deluxe for just 1 room and sharing. Now I'm not so sure. Especially because on our most recent trip when they scanned my magic band it told the server "2 adults, 2 children" on the plan. In the past it would just tell them how many total credits are available. It makes me wonder if Disney has realized sharing credits saves us too much $. I was going to poll various servers on this trip what they would do in the sharing situation but I kept forgetting. I'll try to remember in December and report back. But wondering if this is getting into the "not worth it" relm for you if you can't be certain you're probably better off just ordering what you want when you want.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I don't want to give you bad information about shared credits and I am uncertain if the policy has changed since we last used this strategy.

I saw a link on another site to a moms panel reply to a question about sharing dining credits. July 2019 they state it is NOT permitted.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/question/may-share-meal-entitlements-disney-dining-plan-others-not-404914/

I looked up the dining plan details page on Disney's site and sharing is not addressed.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disney-dining-plan/

When we first used this strategy it was 3ish years ago when Disney updated the official terms. They made a bunch of changes that got a lot of internet coverage (like dropping desserts from QS but adding a snack, formally stating you can convert 1 QS to 3 snacks). On the official Disney page they explicitly stated you could share credits with those not on the plan. But I'm not seeing that stated on their site anymore.

You can definitely still have 4 people on the plan, order 4 meals, and split them between 6 people (as we did several times this summer with the grandparents). But I don't know what would have happened if we had 4 people on the plan and tried to order 6 meals, we haven't done that in the last year.

It's making me rethink our strategy for our upcoming March 2020 trip. We have 2 rooms and I was planning on deluxe for just 1 room and sharing. Now I'm not so sure. Especially because on our most recent trip when they scanned my magic band it told the server "2 adults, 2 children" on the plan. In the past it would just tell them how many total credits are available. It makes me wonder if Disney has realized sharing credits saves us too much $. I was going to poll various servers on this trip what they would do in the sharing situation but I kept forgetting. I'll try to remember in December and report back. But wondering if this is getting into the "not worth it" relm for you if you can't be certain you're probably better off just ordering what you want when you want.
Thanks for the update. Since the two of us usually split the appetizer and dessert, and pay OOP for another entree, we only use one credit for (all?) our meals. We don’t ever do buffets, so that won’t be a problem either.

Last edited:

deedee73

Sharing has always been permitted. Disney just doesn't put it into writing. Basically one of those that those in the know know and others are out of luck. We always share and have never had a problem. It is basically treating someone else to a meal - grandparents etc. The only exception is of course buffets and which you stated that you never do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anne

Thanks for the update. Since the two of us usually split the appetizer and dessert, and pay OOP for another entree, we only use one credit for (all?) our meals. We don’t ever do buffets, so that won’t be a problem either.
Great! Glad to hear it won't be an issue for you. I didn't know if you had any plans to use 2 credits at a single meal.

Anne

Sharing has always been permitted. Disney just doesn't put it into writing. Basically one of those that those in the know know and others are out of luck. We always share and have never had a problem. It is basically treating someone else to a meal - grandparents etc. The only exception is of course buffets and which you stated that you never do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I wasn't referring to sharing meals but to sharing a meal plan extra credit with someone not on the meal plan. Basically ordering 2 meals using 2 credits at one TS but with just 1 person officially on the meal plan.

In the past it was spelled out in the dining plan terms I could use a full extra credit for someone dining with me who was not on the dining plan. A few years ago we had an extended family trip with 2 rooms. 5 people on the deluxe dining plan in 1 room and the other 4 not on the plan. We had some meals where we used 9 credits even though only 5 people at the meal were on the dining plan. That is no longer listed as an option in the terms and a recent reply on the moms panel site in July explicitly stated sharing credits with someone not on the plan is not allowed (which is a direct contradiction of what the official policy used to be).

Does this represent an actual change in policy? Or just an uninformed moms panelist (which is becoming more common each year)? I don't know the answer. But since I had just been encouraging George to try this out I felt I should pass on the new information in case it applied to his trip.