"Boring Summer" Busters

DWCricket

anything that isnt princesses
"You can find something to keep yourself entertained, or I can find you some jobs around the house. Your choice."

-brian, Meanest Dad Ever.
:RpS_thumbup: yep, same here.

This year the kids are doing 4 week at home with a neighbor girl that just graduated HS. Not really a babysitter, just a set of eyes. KWIM? I leave a list of chores that can be done if they pull that with her :) Then two weeks with grandparents. One week with us, and two weeks of sports camp. DD just squeaks in on the age. DD dances, so she has had lessons throughout the summer and next week has intensives for auditions- that will take up 30 hours, I expect she will be tired.

The high schooler is doing things like taking them to the pool, tie dying, fabric paint on shirts, paper airplane contests, scavenger hunts etc. This week is the Harry Potter movie-athon :) The 4 yr old is in daycare while I work.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Our local soup kitchen always needs volunteers. (Only half joking here.)

Summer's also a great time to improve reading skills by reading things that are actually interesting. During the school year, reading is sometimes seen as a "chore," so recreational reading is usually not even thought of as a good past time. Find something to read that you like - anything - and go at it. It'll help improve vocabulary, grammar, and spelling skills, and they won't even know they're "learning." (How boring.) Then when the mandatory reading comes up in school, they'll be well-prepared to comprehend the more difficult assignments. You only learn by practicing, and this is how I nurtured my life-long love of reading.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Well I am lucky that both of my kids love to read. At the moment though, Max just likes electronic games better than reading. But he is actually working on a school summer assignment today! Yay for that.

Yesterday, my husband ran out to Walgreen's and Elizabeth went with him - he was cracking up - she took her Kindle and was reading in the car, and carried it right into the store with him and continued reading while she was walking! I didn't realize the Monster High series was so enthralling!

Trudy - you make me wish I lived in NH! I miss living close to a town - when we lived in NY, we lived in the village in our town and everything except for the big mall was within walking distance - parks, pool, store, schools, library, movie theatre, etc. I really do miss that.

I have a friend in Manchester and just told her yesterday that I wished I had more vacation time because SW had a Ding! yesterday for $39 Baltimore to Manchester!

Asm

I don't want to seem unsympathetic--I'm not-- but I really wish my grandkids had that problem. We tried to plan in down time this summer but you know it's too busy when your 9 yr old says summer is too fast and almost over! We've barely used our pool. They're good athletes so both had a week of tennis camp, DGD9 had a week of basketball camp and DGS7 will have a week of soccer camp. We completely skipped art and theater camp but had a week of VBS. We grabbed a couple of weekends and almost a week at our mountain cabin---not enough for any of us. The big thing is my DD is divorced so every other weekend they're with him, even though they'd rather not so often. They're in NJ this week visiting his family and seeing Hershey and the Crayola factory. They come back this weekend and have a whole week of down time with Mom before packing for Disney. School starts 3 days after we get back. Aaargh! If we could send some of our busyness your way and you could send us some boredom, we might all be happier this summer! Anyway, good luck with entertaining the kids. I hope to have more of a problem with that next summer. Fingers crossed! If we can just use the mountain house more---no internet, 2 tv stations, rustic living on the wide porch.

Last edited:

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
Trudy - you make me wish I lived in NH! I miss living close to a town - when we lived in NY, we lived in the village in our town and everything except for the big mall was within walking distance - parks, pool, store, schools, library, movie theatre, etc. I really do miss that.

I have a friend in Manchester and just told her yesterday that I wished I had more vacation time because SW had a Ding! yesterday for $39 Baltimore to Manchester!
I'm pretty close to Manchester and that's where we fly out of every time we go to WDW. We're in Derry which is a Manchester neighbouring town. I've noticed that there are frequently some pretty good prices from MHT to Baltimore so you should be able to get flights any time you want to visit your friends.

I do feel like we've got the best of all worlds here. Manchester is bigger than we are but we're so close that we can take advantage of the offerings there whenever we want. We're much smaller and the part of town we're in doesn't give us the ability to walk to anything because there aren't any sidewalks and the roads are narrow and winding. But, it's a short drive to just about any ammenity that we could want so it's all good. We're on 1.5 acres so lots of room for the kids in the yard as well. Derry's small enough that we're a town and not a city but we are big enough that there's been investigation into whether or not the town should incorporate into a city. It's the biggest town in the state with a population around 34000 people so pretty big for a town. We're also just under an hour from Boston and around an hour from the outskirts of the White Mountains and under an hour from Maine and around 1.5 hours from Vermont so we really do have access to anything we could want. It's wonderful!

Rhonda

makes josh ride in the passenger seat
Molly signed up for the reading program at the bookstore. Forget the library, the bookstore gives you a $5 gift card for every 20 books!! (sarcasm..) I am having a hard time getting her nose out of a darn book!! She read all 3 Hunger Games books in about a week.
I know~tough problem to have but geesh!:RpS_cool:

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
You know, I didn't even think to check Barnes & Noble. TD has a deal where they'll give kids $10 to open a bank account if they read 10 books and DD10's reading books for the library program that give prizes for reading as well. Off to check B&N. Thanks for the suggestion!

Claire

double fisting mickey ice cream bars and germany p
We used to work on our county fair entries.....garden veggies, flowers arrangements, sewing, cookies, jam, etc We lived 4-H and loved it.

Rhonda

makes josh ride in the passenger seat
Let me know what you find out about B&N. We did Schulers which is a much smaller chain.

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
Ugh. Another round of swim lessons start tomorrow. At least it's just two of the kids.

I've had to limit my eldest's video game time to 1 hour a day. I wonder what he'll be doing with the rest of his time.

By the way, it's National Ice Cream Day. Here's some recipes. Maybe I'll try one of these. Crafty AND cool!

BlountFam5

Thanks for the ice cream recipes Brandie! i tried last summer and it didn't work. I'd like to try it again with a different recipe.