Busch Gardens Williamsburg Touring Plan Request

DisneyMom

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more
Which of the coasters has inversions? Sadly, I am the most adventurous one in the family and the kids want to know. Some say on their website and some don't.
They both go on Space Mountain. One will go on RnR and EE. DH went on Space Mountain once but BTMR is more his speed. None of them really like heights.

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
Which of the coasters has inversions? Sadly, I am the most adventurous one in the family and the kids want to know. Some say on their website and some don't.
They both go on Space Mountain. One will go on RnR and EE. DH went on Space Mountain once but BTMR is more his speed. None of them really like heights.
I will tell you that the coasters there are a lot more intense then anything Disney has. Loch Ness has inversions, Alpengeist has inversions and Griffon has inversions. Apollos Chariot has no inversions just very big hills. Verbolten is probably the tamest. No inversions but has some dark parts and a surprise I won't say to ruin it for you. Not sure you have been to Universal but Alpengeist reminded me of a more intense Dragon Challenge. The G forces were crazy. The worst ride for me was actually Mach Tower. Me and DD hated that ride. It wasn't the drop that bothered me but going up that high. If anyone has issues with height avoid that ride. The drop was fine for me but I got the willies really bad on the slow ascent. I had to keep my eyes closed the entire time. I would not ride it again. We also noticed that Mach Tower was always going down. The first time we went to go on it we waited a good 15 minutes, finally got on and it went up a foot and came back down and we had to get off because something was wrong with it. We saw it closed may times during our visit. I have issues with heights. It's gotten really bad with age. I was fine on EE at Disney. On Griffon I could not open my eyes for many of the parts especially the first big drop. Yikes! I am fine just feeling the sensations of the rides without having to actually see what the ride is doing. :RpS_tongue:

Ann

DisneyMom

I love rides like Mach Tower. I will be the only one who will go on that. DS16 went on Tower of Terror but he said he won't do this with legs dangling and outside. I told him he should just do it and close his eyes, but he didn't go for that.
I may get the kids to go on Verbolten then and Apollos Chariot. We have been to Universal and I skipped the bigger coasters because it would have been only me. I will probably do them here if I can though.
DarKastle is a simulator right?
How much are the refillable mugs at CW and did you buy them at the Visitor's Center? They are good for more than one day right?
We think we're going to stay in Harrisburg, PA on Sunday night and then have 4 hour drive to Williamsburg Monday. So 1/2 day, then Tues and Weds. Trying to decide now whether to stay one more day or leave early Thursday for a day time Nationals game. It's the only game we can make and unless we can get shaded seats with maybe club access I don't think we will do it anyway. If we skip the ball game and stay longer, will probably let the kids do some water park time.

vatmark

I love rides like Mach Tower. I will be the only one who will go on that. DS16 went on Tower of Terror but he said he won't do this with legs dangling and outside. I told him he should just do it and close his eyes, but he didn't go for that.
I may get the kids to go on Verbolten then and Apollos Chariot. We have been to Universal and I skipped the bigger coasters because it would have been only me. I will probably do them here if I can though.
DarKastle is a simulator right?
How much are the refillable mugs at CW and did you buy them at the Visitor's Center? They are good for more than one day right?
We think we're going to stay in Harrisburg, PA on Sunday night and then have 4 hour drive to Williamsburg Monday. So 1/2 day, then Tues and Weds. Trying to decide now whether to stay one more day or leave early Thursday for a day time Nationals game. It's the only game we can make and unless we can get shaded seats with maybe club access I don't think we will do it anyway. If we skip the ball game and stay longer, will probably let the kids do some water park time.
I don't remember the price of the refillable mugs but they are good for the entire year. They sold 2 types of mugs. Ones that were cold beverage only and the others that were hot and cold beverage. I believe they were priced differently. The hot/cold mugs were smaller.

I love ToT but Mach Tower not so much. Yes Dark Kastle is a simulator ride. It reminded me a bit of the transformers ride and Spider-Man ride at Universal. Similar type of ride just not as good as universal. Not sure if you have anyone in your group that gets motion sickness but beware on Europe in the Air. If I hadn't taken Bonine that day I would have probably been ill from that ride. It even made DH a bit quesy and he does not get motion/car sick.

My brother used to live in the DC area and we saw a Nationals game with him one time. We had a nice time. The stadium is nice. Not as nice as Yankee Stadium..just sayin. :RpS_biggrin:

Ann

DisneyMom

Thanks for the heads up on motion sickness. DH gets it. He is fine on Soarin and I thought this might be similar but maybe no.
We've been to Fenway but not Yankee Stadium. They weren't playing when we were in NYC so we went to a Mets game.

vatmark

Thanks for the heads up on motion sickness. DH gets it. He is fine on Soarin and I thought this might be similar but maybe no.
We've been to Fenway but not Yankee Stadium. They weren't playing when we were in NYC so we went to a Mets game.
We have all been totally fine on Soarin. The ride is similar with a screen with different scenes that you travel through but you are in seats in a whole big section that moves. It was not the nice gentle glide like Soarin. It was kinda twisty and jerky and it is almost like all the movement wasn't needed and didn't really work well with the actual film. DH has never had motion sickness on anything and this ride didn't sit well with him or any of us for that matter. I ended up all the way on the end next to the high wall. If you can help it do not go all the way down the row. They made us go all the way to the end seat and then once I had the seatbelt on I looked over and most of our row was empty but it was too late to move further toward the center.

Ann

DisneyMom

DS14 was saying it was probably because the motion of the seats didn't match the motion on the screen, so sounds like that could be the case.

Enjoralas

Europe in the Air is absolutely terrible. It was clearly meant to be like Soarin' but Busch didn't spend the money to make it anywhere close, instead retrofitting a very old motion simulator to a new movie.

Sorry you all didn't enjoy the food at Trappers. I've never had a bad meal there, but I haven't been back to the park since 2012. I hope that it hasn't take a general slide. If anyone who hasn't visited yet wants barbecue but doesn't want to chance Trappers after the reviews, Pierces Pitt nearby is generally regarded as very good bbq.

Glad every one seems to have a had a good time and no lines at BGW. I have a soft spot for the park, it's a special place for my wife and I. We even rented a plantation nearby for our wedding.

vatmark

Europe in the Air is absolutely terrible. It was clearly meant to be like Soarin' but Busch didn't spend the money to make it anywhere close, instead retrofitting a very old motion simulator to a new movie.

Sorry you all didn't enjoy the food at Trappers. I've never had a bad meal there, but I haven't been back to the park since 2012. I hope that it hasn't take a general slide. If anyone who hasn't visited yet wants barbecue but doesn't want to chance Trappers after the reviews, Pierces Pitt nearby is generally regarded as very good bbq.

Glad every one seems to have a had a good time and no lines at BGW. I have a soft spot for the park, it's a special place for my wife and I. We even rented a plantation nearby for our wedding.
We had Roccos Smokehouse one night and it was good. We ordered take out and ate it back in our hotel room with some adult beverages. We would like to try Pierces if we ever get back out there again.

Ann

crewsn

Sad to hear bad comments on the smokehouse. It has been a while since I have ate in the park, but that's was always our go to in the past. Never was award winning but at least enjoyable in the park.

KBO

Europe in the Air is like Soarin and Star Tours put together. It's awful. I won't ride it again. My kids love it though (10 and 8).

The Smokehouse has really good smoked meat, except the ribs from what I hear (I don't eat ribs). My DH and DS say they are fatty and won't get a rack, but we do get the Sampler (brisket, chicken & ribs) and split it as a snack for all four of us. We were there Wednesday (we have AP) and the chicken and brisket were really good (the ribs still looked fatty to me). Most of the time, we pack a lunch and eat in the parking lot and for dinner we go into Williamsburg (Richmond Rd. area). The food in the park is expensive and usually not that good.

We are having a really nice week here as far as temperatures. It's been in the low to mid 80s and less humidity. Low crowds at the park too. Our longest wait was 20 minutes (Verbolten), but most rides (not talking about coasters) were under 10 minutes.

~KBO

DisneyMom

Funny, the kids and. I rode Europe in the Air today, DH did not. I told him it was like Star tours seating, but bigger.
We didn't find it bad, but definitely not Soarin' quality. It didn't make any of us feel sick.