Call 911! Check Me for a Pulse!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I have a trip planned in May, split stay, four nights each at Riviera and Copper Creek. Planning is going well, and we’ll do our typical park days/evenings, dining, etc.

HOWEVER, I‘ll also be down in less than two weeks for an entire week on a business trip (staying offsite), and my conference is only three and a half days, so I planned plenty of extra time to get my Disney fix. My problem? I have no idea what I want to do, or when. I have zero interest/motivation to figure out where to go, where to eat onsite, what kind of admission to buy (and upgrade to the DVC AP so I’ll have it for my May trip), whether to buy the TIW card, etc. I’m pretty sure when I get down there I’ll be suddenly struck by everything I’d like to do, but by then FPPs will be mostly gone (I know how to refresh), ADRs will be booked (I don’t mind sitting at the bar and eating, but not all places have bars). I know I’ll enjoy whatever I decide to do, as I’m a big proponent of the stop-and-smell-the-roses approach to WDW trips. But my lack of desire to plan has me alarmed.

And yeah, I realize there are no questions in this post!

Reactions: Nia

bnoble

he's right
by then FPPs will be mostly gone (I know how to refresh), ADRs will be booked (I don’t mind sitting at the bar and eating, but not all places have bars).
You might be surprised at both of these. True, the Usual Suspects for both FP and ADR will probably be gone. But I often wing my last several days, not planning them until the night before or so based on how the week had gone so far. I always find plenty of interesting things to do and places to eat. It's to the point where I often don't bother making ADRs in advance, preferring the day before or even morning of.

paxsarah

Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to experiment see what happens if you do simply completely wing it. You have nothing to lose by doing it that way. You'll be back in May.

Like, whenever I do a race (running or triathlon) I need to have a race plan. The race plan might be "Hit it as hard as you can" or it might be "Take it easy and pick it up in the last mile" or it might just be "Wing it and keep a smile on my face" - but even if it's "Wing it" I need to tell myself that the plan is to wing it, if that makes any sense. That makes it officially a plan. :ROFLMAO:

mgarbowski

I agree with the advice so far. For someone like yourself who has been multiple times and is coming back again quite soon, I think you can have a refreshing change of pace trip by not planning even a little, and just going where mood and opportunity (eg available last minute FP+) takes you.

George

Thanks for the suggestions. I do believe I’ll totally wing it and see how it goes. After all, there’s not much I really “need” to do this time around.

Last edited:

nolarookie

We have a trip coming up too, which I booked about 30 days out. I spent about 15 minutes booking FPs and had about a 30 minute long conversation with my husband about our arrival day plans, which included making a few reservations. Like you said, nothing we HAVE to do.

Anne

Too bad our work trips don't coincide. I'll be there in 6 weeks for work and really want to do Victoria and Albert's partially subsidized by my work per diem. But it seems kind of sad to do it on my own :-(

I say wing it! Josh is always booking his FP the night before and with enough refreshing is able to get whatever he is looking for. It sounds kind of fun, making a plan based on whatever ADR or FP pops up and sounds good at the time.

George

Too bad our work trips don't coincide. I'll be there in 6 weeks for work and really want to do Victoria and Albert's partially subsidized by my work per diem. But it seems kind of sad to do it on my own :-(

I say wing it! Josh is always booking his FP the night before and with enough refreshing is able to get whatever he is looking for. It sounds kind of fun, making a plan based on whatever ADR or FP pops up and sounds good at the time.
I've done V&A's twice, the first time on my own. And I have to say, I enjoyed it more when I was alone! Don't let that stop you; you'll love it.

I have no problem doing the parks on the fly, as I've done that before, but not to the extent that I've had NOTHING planned before! Still, I know I shouldn't be worried.

Mrs Darling

I have a trip in a few weeks that includes 2.5 solo days in the middle of the trip and I've got almost zero plans for those days. I booked the 3 FPs but I'm rethinking the parks. I had booked EP & HS FPs. Now I'm thinking doing an AK/DS day instead of HS. Or maybe MK. Or something. But I kind of like the idea that I can decide on the spur of the moment. If I feel like doing TS I figure I'll search for an ADR the night before and see what pops up. Totally the opposite to the rest of my trip (and my normal MO) but I'm pretty excited about it.

beachta1

You may feel differently as your days get closer. I always think I'll just wing it, and as the days get closer, I need a plan. The planner in me can not turn it off, even if I tried.

Anne

I've done V&A's twice, the first time on my own. And I have to say, I enjoyed it more when I was alone! Don't let that stop you; you'll love it.
Booked it! At least I won't have my husband questioning "are you sure you want FIVE caviar add-ons" ;-)

You may feel differently as your days get closer. I always think I'll just wing it, and as the days get closer, I need a plan. The planner in me can not turn it off, even if I tried.
I like the idea of no plan. But then find myself booking things "just in case" with the idea I can always change my mind.

Disneyfan

But my lack of desire to plan has me alarmed.

And yeah, I realize there are no questions in this post!
As usual, I am late to the party and am just NOW reading this thread. But I just had to say you really cracked me up. I really needed a laugh today.