CBR Preferred

projectx

Family of 5 looking at Thanksgiving 2021. We would really like POR but... still not open and not taking reservations. Every option available right now on-site is stupid expensive, with the exception of CBR (though, still seems high at $340/night). Blech. To be fair, I've never stayed there, but the thought of 7 bus stops is a turn off. Otherwise the newly refurbished rooms and pool look great.

So... what about a preferred room and just rely on Uber in the early mornings? Is that a viable strategy at this resort? This will be a short stay, visiting just Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Problem is those rooms are going for over $400/night! Hopefully there will be some sort of promo released in the coming months.

bnoble

he's right
Things are changing *very* quickly; I don't see a reason to book a room 11 months in advance right now. I certainly don't see a reason to do that for a high price at a second-choice resort.

projectx

I'm with you on everything you said, just trying to think ahead. If by chance the preferred rooms at POR get anachrd up quickly or are priced too high for our liking, is the plan obligated above reasonable?

bnoble

he's right
What would cause them to be snatched up? There is a reason the resort is not open and it is not because there are a lot of people who really want to stay there.

projectx

Because it's a holiday week and I wouldn't be surprised that once these vaccines get rolling, if there's pent up demand.

But regardless... let's say POR is still closed. Is staying at CBR preferred and using an Uber to the parks the way to go? Just trying to avoid having to walk huge distances at the resort, and I have no idea how common Ubers are at CBR. We stayed at the Hilton by Disney Springs a couple years ago and the Uber method worked fine; I don't want to assume it's the same everywhere.

D

Deleted member 519

We’ve stayed at CBR once before. Some of the buildings in Jamaica were convenient to the food court and all that, without the preferred price tag. I’d think Uber would be fine. I’d book it if you’re getting antsy and worried about being shut out. You can always keep your eyes open for discounts or your preferred hotel opening up. Maybe get a travel planner to assist you so you don’t have to be the person constantly checking and possibly missing discounts.

TiggerGirl

Because it's a holiday week and I wouldn't be surprised that once these vaccines get rolling, if there's pent up demand.

But regardless... let's say POR is still closed. Is staying at CBR preferred and using an Uber to the parks the way to go? Just trying to avoid having to walk huge distances at the resort, and I have no idea how common Ubers are at CBR. We stayed at the Hilton by Disney Springs a couple years ago and the Uber method worked fine; I don't want to assume it's the same everywhere.
if you're only planning on going to EP and HS why wouldn't you use the skyliner?

D

Deleted member 519

Because as I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), the skyline hours aren't always ideal for early rope drop arrival.
I think it’ll kind of depend on what’s going on with the park hours. In August with the change in the hours we were getting to the parks earlier than those who were attempting to park in the lots. I guess that’s something you’ll have to check on before you go.

bnoble

he's right
CBR's role as the hub of the system gives you an advantage there---you never have to transfer to either park. You do come into the Riviera station on the way to Epcot, but do not have to get off there.

Micah008

Staff member
The Skyliner hours do change, based on the park opening time and how busy they expect the parks to be that day. Keep in mind that right now they are limiting all forms of transportation (not just Skyliner) from arriving too early, to avoid having too many people queuing up to get into the parks, otherwise there wouldn't be enough room for everyone to "physically distance" while they wait for the park to open.

Currently, as long as you are at the Skyliner station before it officially opens (~30-45 minutes before), you will be one of the first on the Skyliner and one of the first to the parks. If you get to the Skyliner station 10 minutes before it opens if may already be going, and you will be in a line of people all waiting to go to the same place.

By the end of 2021 everything I said above may be different, but I would still think CBR and the Skyliner would be ideal for HS and EP. We have stayed at Riviera twice, and CBR does have an advantage over Riviera in getting to HS.

Mrs Darling

Plus the walk to the busses/skyliner from CBR preferred rooms is no further than the walk from POR rooms to busses.
I do prefer POR for atmosphere but CBR has the better pool, no question. Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong. That price though 😳

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I like to pick resorts based on where I'll spend the majority of my park time. In most cases it's MK and Epcot, so Poly (it's practically an Epcot resort with the monorail right there); for AK and HS, it's OKW (we always have a car) or RR (and RR is close to Epcot too via Skyliner). Almost everything else is less convenient to at least three parks. With a car, it's easy, but it's also nice to use easy Disney transportation.

Michael

I like to pick resorts based on where I'll spend the majority of my park time. In most cases it's MK and Epcot, so Poly (it's practically an Epcot resort with the monorail right there); for AK and HS, it's OKW (we always have a car) or RR (and RR is close to Epcot too via Skyliner). Almost everything else is less convenient to at least three parks. With a car, it's easy, but it's also nice to use easy Disney transportation.
What sense does that make. The epcot monorail isn't running. Duh

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
And, by the way, this thread was originally about a November 2021 trip... the Epcot Monorail could very easily be up and running again by that time.
That was my hope based on OP's date, but I also answered in a general sense of how to choose a resort that's close to where you're going to want to be. Oh well, can't please 'em all.

hizouse

Back to the original question, we stayed at CBR 2 weeks ago, and it's absolutely possible to rope drop DHS and Epcot via the Skyliner. At least as things currently stand--they could be much different by November.

One day we got to the CBR skyliner station at 7:40 am (9 am DHS opening), and we arrived at DHS before the line to the right-side temperature check had opened (i.e., we could have stalled a bit and been at the front of the right-side temperature check line). But another day we got to the station at 7:46, and the line was much longer. Still in the park before 8:30, but behind a lot more people; exiting the station we had to turn left to get to the end of the temp check line instead of right towards DHS.

We did not try to rope drop Epcot, but if it was really important, you could take the Skyliner to DHS and walk to Epcot before the Epcot skyliner route is open.

We also have 5 in our family; there are a lot of good 5-person rooms in Jamaica close to the Skyliner station. I liked CBR more than I thought I would, and they were also the cheapest 5-person rooms on property (All-Stars weren't open, but I did price 2 rooms at Pop and it wasn't close). And fwiw, in early mornings, Disney was sending plenty of empty buses to Jamaica's bus stop. Jamaica is the first bus stop on that side of the resort, and buses were coming directly there from the street and not filling up on the other side first. I was very happy with early morning bus service, though it was not great in the afternoons.