ceegibbs goes to Hilton Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonja

We are thinking of a summer road trip which could include HHI. I didn't even know Disney had a property there! So, yes! I want to know!

ceegibbs

don't call her cindy
I have always wanted to go to Hilton Head Island. When we purchased DVC many years ago I always had it on my radar. finally the opportunity has come up.

I know many of you but let me make the introductions for those that don't know us.

I am Cee, 49, I own a funeral home and work full time. Taking time off from work seems to be harder for me to do each year.

My husband Bill also 49, works full time and doesn't like to take off from work. He is a salesman in a different line of work than me.

We both love to play golf and hopefully will play a round while we are there. We are emptynesters so no children to take along. Yippeeee!

This trip will occur over our actually legal anniversary, though we don't usually celebrate on the actualy date. It has been years since we went anywhere in Decemeber. We usually celebrate in October at Walt Disney Worlds Food and Wine Fest.

This trip came about becuase we bought some additional DVC points on a used contract and had 4 to use or lose so those four points are being spent on a studio for two nights at HHI.

Our dates are December 13-15. Flying from DFW to Savanah. We are renting a car with Alamo and should arrive at the resort before noon on Dec 13. Our plans for that day are to grab some supplies including beer and wine and just explore the resort.

Honestly I am looking at this trip as testing out the resort to see if we would ever want to spend more time here.

I am already regretting our choice. I think we would have been better off going to Vero Beach Resort instead.

First of all for us Hilton Head is just too darn hard to get to. We are having to fly from DFW when we really want to fly from Austin. We are having to fly on American when we really perfer Southwest but Southwest flies to Charleston not Savanah.

I will try to keep an open mind though.

Saturday monring we will play golf though we haven't decided where yet. We need a course that rents clubs. Bill wants to play at a course that is a sister resort to our home Country Club but, typical Bill he hasn't researched that ast all yet. Come on Bill I am a planner it is a month till we go... I have to know every detail by now.

Saturday after golf we are going to be lazy and hopefully catch a football game on TV in the room and get ready for a nice devening of dinner, dancing and taking in some live music.

Sunday, leave HHI and explore Savanah before our 6 PM flight back to DFW.

That is it in a nutshell.

Last edited:

texhanddoc

won't let you order a nice scotch
Sounds like a great weekend away. How many golf courses are around? Is there one that is affiliated with the resort?

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I am already regretting our choice. I think we would have been better off going to Vero Beach Resort instead.
I'm a HUGE Vero beach fan, but if it was just DW and me, I'd go to HH. Better restaurants, better golf courses.

ceegibbs

don't call her cindy
Gregg there are not any at Disney's Resort but Bill has some sort of search engine he can find one. I am told there are more courses on the island and in the area than you can play in a month.

When we went to Aulani the Ko Olina resort itself is a golf course and they had very nice clubs to use. It was right across the street from Aulani. Bill could have walked or ridden the shuttle but we actually drove!

simbasmom

I would love to hear your observations and reactions to Disney's HHI resort and the island in general. We absolutely LOVE it there-we'll soon be spending our 8th Thanksgiving there. DH is a major golfer, and in answer to a PP, there's no golf course connected to the resort, but there are 3 courses right across the street. If I remember, there are about 16 courses within about 1/2 hour. One complaint is that the resort isn't on the ocean, it's on the marsh, very pretty IMO. Also, there's 2 counter-serve places at the resort, but no table serve. However, there are so many great restaurants around. I hope you enjoy it, but however you react would be very interesting to hear about.

kpwarnick

Sounds like a fun trip Cee... cant wait to read all about it. HH is on my list for someday too! Maybe when we are empty nesters (do you count sons in college as empty nest?) in about 7 years....

simbasmom

Ceegibbs, regarding the courses that rent clubs-DH and I will be at the resort next week, and DH is golfing every day. We'll check to see who rents, and DH will also check the quality of the rentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.