"Change" with fast pass policy

tedescokid

I read somewhere that CMs are now asking why you didn't use a FP in the alloted window. Is this true? Anyone had any trouble using it later in the day. We are going next month and just want to be prepared.

Tonya

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Josh is in the parks almost every day. I think that he will let us know when and if the FP policy changes. I'd be willing to bet that this whole thing started when a newbie tried to use a FP and the CM asked about it (also probably a newbie) and the newbie panicked and came back to a forum to report that CMs are now doing this.

MichaelColey

FWIW, I've had CMs ask (or comment) about late FP returns once in a while (maybe 1 out of every 20 times), but it's pretty rare. As of two weeks ago, it wasn't any more frequent than in the past. I've NEVER been turned away with a late FP.

bnoble

he's right
Don't sweat it. Short term data collection. No worries.

If it changes, you'll know without any doubt, because EVERYONE will be talking about it.

Trueblue63

Still recalls that Hollywood & Vine's food was unm
I think it's related to the success of the WWOHP. Info about FPs, RFID chips in soda cups, investigating RFID chips in KTTW cards, none of it necessarily means anything, BUT

WDW is a huge, complex business, info is the first thing you gather before you try to respond to a competitor. If I had to guess they are trying to figure out/decide what kind of improvements they can make that will excite the most lucrative parts of their fan base. So I wouldn't be surprised at all, if they offered a new perk to resort guests. Those guests spend a lot of $ on food, drink, and souvenirs. And those are high profit businesses.

MaddiesMom

no longer forgets her undies
So I wouldn't be surprised at all, if they offered a new perk to resort guests. Those guests spend a lot of $ on food, drink, and souvenirs. And those are high profit businesses.
Statistically speaking, if you stay on Disney property, you aren't terribly inclined to venture off property to the competition. Priceline / Hotwire and the like are making it more affordable to rent a car, and therefore to stay off-site. Plus, as Blue said, WWoHP is very popular and leaching the tween / teen folks from Disney parks.

All that said - I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new perk offered to resort guests soon. Since EMH isn't really a "perk" for anyone that does a tiny bit of planning for their trip, Disney's trying to evolve.

bnoble

he's right
Luckily (for Disney), almost no one plans.

Heck, even over on DISboards---where people *do* plan---the overwhelming sentiment is to stay onsite or don't go at all.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it. Supposedly Disney was asking people why they were turning up late out in front of Splash Mountain or some such last week (but still letting everyone use their FASTPASS late, for that matter). Not necessarily because they have any intention of changing any policies. They run these sorts of questionnaires and surveys constantly on all kinds of topics. For example, last month when I was taking the Lynx bus (public transportation) from the Ticket/Transportation Center to Downtown Disney, there was a Disney employee on the bus handing out surveys about what my intentions were on the bus, whether I was going to be taking any Disney buses/monorail/boats on my trip, whether or not I worked for Disney etc. I could have freaked out and come on DIS saying that Disney was going to disallow people staying off-site from using Disney buses because I took a survey about it and I'm sure it would have blown up to a 1,000+ post thread. Certainly someone would have said they were asked for resort ID to board a bus after the Magic Kingdom fireworks. But it's not true. Just because Disney asks you a question doesn't mean that's the direction they're headed, no matter how loaded that question may be. As far as late FASTPASSes, I've never seen anyone denied and use late FASTPASSes all the time.

MichaelColey

What? Disney is going to disallow people staying off-site from using Disney buses? (Just kidding.)

Rhonda

makes josh ride in the passenger seat
During my trip a couple of weeks ago, twice I was given FP by a CM that had "expiration" dates on them. One date was 8/31 and one was sometime in September. They may not be new but it was the first time we had gotten them.
Also, a CM at Rockin Rollercoaster went and got FP to give us. The times were for morning but he said "Just ignore the time. You can use them now"

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Do you just have the kids cry until they start giving you FASTPASSes or what's the secret?

Rhonda

I was beating them and they didnt think it was good for business............

HA! We were sitting at the RnR "sticker" station. Mason and I were waiting for Ace and Molly who had FP. We struck up a fun conversation with a CM and when Ace and Molly came back, he went and grabbed FP so we could all go. He missed the part that Mason was too scared to go- but we did take advantage of the FP and Molly and I rode while Ace stayed with Mason.

Im tellin' ya. We had some really great FP pixie dust this trip!! It was awesome!!

MichaelColey

During my trip a couple of weeks ago, twice I was given FP by a CM that had "expiration" dates on them. One date was 8/31 and one was sometime in September. They may not be new but it was the first time we had gotten them.
I was offered some like that for Mickey's Philharmagic. I think it was on our March/April trip, with a May 31 expiration date. The CM offered me as many as I wanted. I turned them down, pointing out that I'm sure I would get some when I got our Winnie the Pooh FPs and that FPs really aren't necessary there.

Rhonda

Yes, we were given some for Philharmagic which are now in my bedroom being used as bookmarks :)
We were also given one by a CM at DHS but the one was good for up to 5 people. He looked like a "manager" type and he was "sword fighting" with my son at the little shop outside the Indiana Jones show.

RuthAnn

Also, a CM at Rockin Rollercoaster went and got FP to give us. The times were for morning but he said "Just ignore the time. You can use them now"
Last February we were given FPs with an expiration date (I think it was 7 days) when BTMRR went down and we were next in line.

bnoble

he's right
Those are "Re-Entry Passes". They are usually used for Service Recovery, and are good for a week or two from issuance. Years ago, they were undated. I think I still have a few undated ones laying around somewhere.

lalagirl

We were in Disney from 8/20-9/1/11. Always used our FP's many hours late without any problem at all. None of the CM's questioned us.

tedescokid

I assumed as much - I probably did see it over on DIS (as I am spending some time there planning for WWoHP). Not used to the tone so sorry if I misread it.

BTW - We too would covet a FP for CoP - it is one of our favorites.

Tonya