College Football!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Not football, but...the Michigan Synchronized Swimming team had their showcase performance yesterday. My daughter is on the team, it is her first year ever doing synchro, and she was named the most improved member of the team. It turns out that water polo skills translate nicely!

They end the performance with an Aquatic Block M, singing The Victors. Always a nice touch.
Go, E!

Question: If one person gets a trophy, do they all get a trophy?! :RpS_laugh:

famouschinesecontroller

known as jane elsewhere, but her friends call her
So happy for her and her team. Thank you for resurrecting this thread no matter what the sport! Only 146 days until Bama vs. Louisville in Orlando. We have been coerced into being there.

mgarbowski

With Big Girl a freshman at Michigan, the rest of the family took a trip out this weekend to visit her and I took in my first major program college football game Saturday night, when Michigan beat Wisconsin.

At halftime, they honored the Michigan synchronized swimming team that Bnoble posted about a few posts back, so I'm guessing there is a good chance Brian was also there, together with 111k of our closest friends. With the solid win and some upsets this weekend, Michigan is ranked sixth nationally and now has a plausible though still somewhat low probability path to the playoffs.

Last edited:

bnoble

he's right
Indeed I was. I stuck around until almost the very end, too. And as Carl Grapentine puts it: "thank you for being part of the largest crowd watching a football game anywhere in America today."

IMG_4293.jpg

mgarbowski

I confess we left at the end of the third quarter. But I could still tell you exactly when the pick-6 and McCaffrey's touchdown run happened, as we clearly heard the roars, the latter when we were a good half-mile away.

bnoble

he's right
I left just as the stadium DJ decided to rub salt in the wound by playing Jump Around during a media time out. My kids had a ball---between Game Day, the night game, and the band congregating in front of the student section to play Freebird during halftime, it was a hoot. This is my daughter and her roommate from last year:

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 8.43.25 AM.jpg

It looks like you were in the North (aka "Freebird") endzone?

mgarbowski

Nice shot - did they have an extra desk set to let people take pictures with?

And yes, north endzone. It was nice being somewhat close to the student section. My daughter has student season tickets (which is a great deal) but sat with us. She knows next to nothing about football but loves going to the games and does all the cheers, hand motions, etc. Enthusiasm comes naturally to her. I bought a 3-pack direct from the Athletics Dept because I was concerned this game would sell out before single game tickets became available. I was able to sell the other 2 games for enough to partially offset the cost of this game. We skipped Game Day. The 3 of us stayed in Belleville and stopped by Ypsilanti late morning on the way to Ann Arbor. That was rather disappointing. Maybe it picks up mid-afternoon but it was basically a ghost town when we were there. Then we went to Ann Arbor for lunch, met the student, and hung out in UMMA. Oh, and I was surprised at how well Freebird translated into marching band. I never would have expected it to work.

mgarbowski

Don't count wins in The Game before they happen.
Not doing that at all. I just talked my daughter out of gloat-texting her Buckeye cousin and her family, and to wait and see what happens Thanksgiving weekend first. But I also like to enjoy the medium term good while it is good. Maybe it would have been more accurate to say, we picked a good year to become Michigan fans. The season can turn wrong, but it has already exceeded most expectations.

bnoble

he's right
Michigan Fan's expectations can be irrationally high, but the season has been fun so far.

One example: the MMB has a tradition of playing Temptation (the "fourth down/you s*ck" song), which is then inevitably followed by the Hawaiian War Chant, because as the announcer reminds us: "You can't have one without the other."

It so happens that the Muppets also did both of those songs. So, after an important win. MGoBlog will post Celebration Muppets.

Strangeite

Do you know how surreal it is being a Kentucky fan halfway through the season and the idea of winning the SEC East championship is not only a dream but a distinct possibility?