College Football!

mgarbowski

Can someone who understands college football better than me (which is most everyone) explain something to me? In reading about the Alabama-LSU game, I see many references to this being important because until now Alabama's schedule was weak. They only played one ranked team - #22 Tex A&M. Fair enough. But why does nobody criticize Clemson's schedule? In fact, I have been reading that Clemson has one of the toughest schedules in the country. Yet they will finish the season with no games against a Top 10 team, and have only played #16 NC State and have #22 BC upcoming. I do not doubt that Clemson is good, but isn't their schedule just a bunch of cupcakes? It certainly does not seem tougher than Alabama's schedule.

bnoble

he's right
I confess I'm not really paying close attention to the national landscape. I figure it will work itself out, or it won't. I'll be good either way.

Speaking of good: went to the Penn State/Michigan game yesterday. I have to admit I did not expect that. At all. One very cool moment: both bands did the halftime show together. I don't think I'd ever seen that before, and it was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1B2Gk0kD7c

mgarbowski

I confess I'm not really paying close attention to the national landscape. I figure it will work itself out, or it won't. I'll be good either way.

Speaking of good: went to the Penn State/Michigan game yesterday. I have to admit I did not expect that. At all. One very cool moment: both bands did the halftime show together. I don't think I'd ever seen that before, and it was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1B2Gk0kD7c

Thanks for the video link. My daughter told me the bands played together and sent a photo of the dragon image.

On the ranking/schedule issue I' just trying to become more intelligent about it. Pretty much everyone agrees Alabama and Clemson are 1 and 2, including neutrals and fans of the teams closest to them but behind. I don't know enough to disagree with that. Still, the Alabama/Clemson schedule comparison does gnaw at me a little, but I'm not losing sleep either.

Not That Josh

^ I think a lot of what you are talking about can vary from one source to another. I remember a couple of weeks ago, one analyst said Clemson was done with tough games and had an easy run to the end of the season. I tend to not take the analysis too seriously because there is at least some guessing involved.

Strangeite

My Kentucky Wildcats are being projected to play in the Citrus Bowl this year (would be the best bowl game in probably 75 years).

Unfortunately, I am no position to travel to Orlando right now. :RpS_thumbdn:

Now if all of my friends and family would stop bugging me to go to the Disney and the game that week.

bnoble

he's right
Not football, but...

Am at Ohio State for a synchronized swimming meet. My daughter swims for Michigan. A warm welcome here in C'bus, as always....

IMG_4493.jpg

bnoble

he's right
I will not schedule service academies.

Ugh. And later Cal will be disemboweled in Seattle.

(And Fox can boil in a cauldron of oil for the incessant Full Media Timeouts we sat through.)

bnoble

he's right
I woke up this morning to...a Cal win? Game finished at 4:30 AM due to weather, I guess. Late enough that none of the highlight shows had any highlights, including the Pac 12 Network recap show.

mgarbowski

Based on what I have seen to date, Michigan has issues that go beyond being mostly outplayed by an Army team that has shown itself to be well capable of punching up over the past 2-3 years. Some are mistakes that can, in theory, be reduced, but IDK how much you can improve run and pass blocking week to week. Wasn't the O-line supposed to be a strength?

bnoble

he's right
Oh, I don't have any illusions that this team is where I'd like it to be. I just never ever want to play a service academy again. This happens every. time.

BDUB32

Texas vs LSU - both sides bickering over who is the "real DBU (defensive back university)," gave up a combined 872 yards passing (471 by Burrows of LSU, 401 by Ehlinger of Texas).

My Horns came out on the losing end, too. Tough one to swallow, but very entertaining game.

3dadknight

Texas vs LSU - both sides bickering over who is the "real DBU (defensive back university)," gave up a combined 872 yards passing (471 by Burrows of LSU, 401 by Ehlinger of Texas).

My Horns came out on the losing end, too. Tough one to swallow, but very entertaining game.
As a Tiger fan, I’m just happy that we don’t have to rely on the DBU moniker to stay in a game. We finally have an offense that can keep up in a shootout. I agree, though, that regardless of the outcome, it was a very entertaining game.

bnoble

he's right
Nothing cures what ails a football team like a good dose of Rutgers---for a week, anyway.

More topically: the halftime show this week was Mary Poppins. Penguins included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr3V7kYGxmY

This may also be the last year we can meet the kids after halftime to buy them lunch. The elder is a senior this year, is applying to PhD programs, and Michigan is not going to be one of them...