Computers?

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
Houston, we have found our problem, its name is EXPLORER. :RpS_thumbsup:

Okay, next thing, update Windows. I don't know if you have Windows update set to occur automatically - if you don't, you should. To get things up to snuff start by doing this:

update.jpg

Just let Windows do its thing and find all the updates.
(edited to add photo - everything's better w/ pics)

recommendedupdates.jpg

On the Explorer page that shows up - look in the upper right hand corner of the page, does it say
1. "Automatic Updates:
Turned ON." ? If ON, then good. If OFF, then click to have them update automatically.

2. Next, click "Express". Download and install the updates, then restart the computer.

jandeeah

rescued daughter from turk - that crazy gorilla!
It is turned on put it did find something I needed to update and I am doing it now. I will let you know when it is finished.

jandeeah

It was an Office service pack it installed. I am still getting the error messages :RpS_thumbdn:

pfalcioni

Okey dokey, no big deal - we'll get it fixed.

We've got two options. First option is what I would recommend, but it's up to you.

Option #1: Switch to Firefox to browse the web. To do this option, go here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Click the big green "Firefox Free Download", follow directions, install.

Once it's all done, it will open and ask if you want to import your favorites from Explorer. Do that.

Now, use Firefox to wander around the internet a bit - go to sites that caused the error message before, see what happens.

Option #2 would be to try and fix Explorer. This will be more tedious and time consuming, and Explorer really isn't the safest or fastest browser, Firefox is all-around better at doing most things faster and safer. But, if you really love Explorer, we can try and fix it.

jandeeah

Okay I never remember do I click run or save???
Never mind I got it...:RpS_thumbup:

pfalcioni

Thanks! So glad it worked, and to think it only wasted half of your Saturday :RpS_sneaky: On the plus side, I didn't do it, you did. You're much more computer savvy than you think you are. Most people would NOT have been able to follow typed instructions and trouble shoot this like you did.

I know that Firefox put a link on your desktop, if you usually use the Explorer link from your desktop to access the internet, you can delete that link and keep the Firefox one in it's place (deleting the link won't delete the program - it's still on your computer).

Here's how to rearrange stuff so it's easier to find Firefox than it is to find Explorer (a good thing, that way you won't be tempted to use Explorer).

iconmove.jpg

If you have any other problems or questions, fire away :)

jandeeah

Thanks I am good for now but when I have some time I will check back in and have you tell me how to remove Norton's and install avast.
It may have taken an afternoon but saved me several hundred dollars. I am trying to convince my husband I should take $200 out of our savings account and move it to the Disney fund because I saved us more than that:RpS_thumbsup:

pfalcioni

I am trying to convince my husband I should take $200 out of our savings account and move it to the Disney fund because I saved us more than that
Yea Disney Math!!

jandeeah

Pam I had a quick question. Everything is working great but I can't find my favorites in Firefox. I told it to import them but I do not see them under bookmarks. This is not a huge deal I can get the ones I want and copy them over but I was wondering if it was just something simple. Thanks again!

pfalcioni

Well, here's one I'm not sure about, since I use Google Bookmarks which are available on all my computers at the same time - but I think if you open Bookmarks, then click Show All Bookmarks, you should see a folder that says "imported" or something similar. Oh, here, this is from the Firefox help page (you can access it by clicking the "help" menu at the top of the page, then selecting "Firefox Help".
[h=1]Unable to find your bookmarks after importing them[/h] If you have imported your bookmarks from another browser, they appear in the Bookmarks menu in a specific folder. To find your imported bookmarks, do the following:

1. Click the Bookmarks button
    on the right side of the navigation toolbar (Windows XP: click the Bookmarks menu) and select Show All Bookmarks to open the Library window.

• Depending on the type of browser from which you imported, your bookmarks appear in a specially named folder in the Bookmarks list.
    • Internet Explorer. Folder name is From Internet Explorer.
    • Opera. Folder name is From Opera.
    • Bookmarks imported from other browsers follow a similar pattern.
  • If your source bookmarks were stored in a hierarchy of folders, the folder structure is preserved inside the specially named folder.
If desired, you can move your imported bookmarks to other folders. For more information, see How do I use bookmarks?.

jandeeah

It had not imported them last time but I found where to do it from and it worked!!! :RpS_thumbsup: