Coronavirus

amk3

Confirmation today of the first transmission to occur inside of the U.S. of a person with no known contact with a patient. Transmission happened near Travis AFB. An HHS whistleblower reported HHS employees unloaded repatriated coronavirus patients without protective equipment or adequate training. I don't think it reaches Orlando soon, but transmission to someone who was not exposed and therefore not at all self-isolating could put the area NE of San Franciso into a situation similar to Lombardy.

We don't buy trip insurance for Disney, but I was already working on a trip to India next December, so took a look at AIG's press release regarding coronavirus. Although there are more details in the report, the big points:
  • Fear of travel / fear of coronavirus isn't covered except under "Cancel for any reason".
  • Policies purchased after January 24 might not cover coronavirus related expenses because coronavirus was a "known risk." (That seems an aggressive position to me that might not hold up - and it sort of contradicts the language below so it could be that this is more about trip cancellation coverage not health insurance while traveling coverage.)
  • "If you contract Coronavirus while on a covered trip, you could be covered for Medical Expense and Trip Interruption/Curtailment benefits if there is a confirmed diagnosis, subject to the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. If you are quarantined as a result of Coronavirus, you could be covered under the Trip Interruption/Curtailment benefit, subject to the terms and conditions of your insurance policy."
I took a quick look at Disney's Travel Protection Plan terms & ended up with different term sheets. One for cruises had a specific exclusion for epidemics and the other did not.

jeep63

We are heading to WDW ON 3/13/2020. We talked about how best to enjoy ourselves while also protecting ourselves. DS is a senior in HS, so we don't have little ones to worry about with respect to hand washing and touching eyes,nose, mouth... As of now we are still planning to go. We did not purchase trip insurance for this trip either. We are watching the 'heat' map and staying up on announcements regarding new infections.

AngiTN

I don't call it totally unexposed when they live near a place where people were exposed and didn't take precautions
Who's to say they didn't come in to contact with one of them?
But what do I know

I leave on Monday and have no plans to change.
Another trip due in April, no plans to change.

amk3

If it's transmitting in Florida before our early April trip we'll push back our dates. My elderly parents are coming with us, plus it seems like WDW will need to shut down for a few weeks if it reaches Florida the way it's happening right now.

But if it's not transmitting in Florida yet we're still going. CDC announced ramped up testing, so hopefully that means we know as it's entering areas.

amk3

I don't call it totally unexposed when they live near a place where people were exposed and didn't take precautions.
It's not totally unexposed, but no known exposure. HHS whistleblower report didn't come out / no tests done until the woman had been in two different hospitals for several days, so likely lots of exposures.

Anne

I think it's inevitable it will circulate in the US. I don't think it's containable at this point. The question is when and how bad. We go in a little less than 3 weeks. I have a work conference so it might be a moot point for us if the conference is cancelled we probably won't go. Lots of reports of domestic conferences cancelled today but so far mine is still on. We don't have trip insurance, but I would like to think Disney will work with people and allow cancellations or trips to be moved without penalties. They have usually been pretty accommodating with hurricanes.

amk3

Our trip is the first week in April, which is the most common spring break in Georgia, and I always see a lot of Michigan car tags that week. Texas tends to have their break late March.

I just checked Seattle school calendar. They were out Presidents’ Day week & their spring break is April 13–17.

Last edited:

Kazmom

We (myself and two teens) have a trip scheduled the last week of March. My mom lives with us and is just getting over an upper respiratory infection that hit her hard, and she is pushing me to cancel. She isn’t coming with us but fears we will bring it back. I pointed out we currently have a known case here (Illinois) and no known case in Orlando, but she is still thinking we have more chance of getting it traveling (flying) and being in crowded areas than staying home. I don’t want to cancel but would feel horrible if we did bring it back to her as she is in a high risk age group. I am on a wait and see for now.

amk3

Kazmom I’d also still want to go in those circumstances, but must be hard with her asking you to cancel. Kids are apparently all getting it because it doesn’t get them sick so she’s going to be exposed at some point. Is there another family member she could stay with for the two weeks after your trip so that she would know she can have all of you in quarantine from her during the incubation period?

Also unrelated to Disney, I made this list of supplies I want to gather for my parents: Fingertip oximeter (helps decide when to seek help). Guaifenesin (clears fluid from lungs). Albuterol (boosts struggling lungs). Ibuprofen & qvar/Flovent & prednisone pack (lung inflammation). Make sure flu & pneumonia vaccines up to date & talk to doctor about if/when you can call in for antibiotic Rx (reduces risk co- / secondary infection).

amk3

Well darn - first two cases in FL - at least presumptive cases. Unless it gets contradicted I think we have to postpone our April trip because my parents are both in their 80s, and my dad in his late 80s. We have military tickets that expire Dec 18. I’m going to call to see if they are offering any flexibility, but really hoping we can find a time to go this year.

Kazmom

What are the chances of getting an after hours event refunded if we end up not going? I know official policy is no refunds, and I know they sometimes give them, but I am thinking if this spreads quickly they may get enough cancellations they hold firm to the no refund policy.

amk3

Kazmom, might be worth calling now. They might be willing to flag your account with refund being approved if you decide to cancel the trip. Universal at was able to do some sort of flagging on our account & they aren't nearly as organized as Disney. I'm glad you posted because I'd forgotten about the hard ticket events. If my parents don't go (which I think they should not) we might still go. We've got some old no-expiration water park passes, and we could do a day at Hollywood Studios plus two party nights, then come back later this year with them.

amk3

Now a report someone was mistakenly released in San Antonio then tested positive. So in addition to presumptive cases in Tampa it will be going from Texas to Orlando during their spring break.

Kazmom

fastpasses got *way* more available today. How long until they close?
Until fast passes close? Or are you thinking Disney closes? I would not see that happening unless a lot of people in the Orlando area test positive.

amk3

The parks. And agree not unless it’s much more serious in central FL, but I think they have to close when local hospitals are overwhelmed. If it had rolled out nationally slowly I thought the parks might not close.

Kazmom

I’m not too nervous yet. Outside of Washington there still aren’t that many cases, and Spring is here which might impact it. We will just have to wait and see what direction it takes.

We are cancelling spring break. So sad, but our youngest has asthma and another underlying condition, so while we know we can't promise she won't get sick at home, we also know she doesn't want to get sick while traveling! It sucks, but we'll be staying close to home or out in nature for a bit. We have at least 3 known cases in our area, and had guests from Oregon last weekend, where they also have known cases. It seems like it will have to sweep through and I'd rather be home for that. My question to ponder is when to reschedule our trip! Spring break was the best timing for us. Summer sounds way too hot, but it is second best timing. Also, not sure if this will have run it's course by summer?

Kazmom

Sleepingbean - that is part of my struggle. If we cancel we won’t reschedule. I won’t go during the summer because of the heat and we have other plans for next Spring Break. My daughter is a Sophomore and this was pretty much our last planned family trip to Orlando. I hate to miss it, although honestly neither of the kids seem that upset by the thought of cancelling. If we cancel we will plan something else for summer. Maybe Hershey Park or maybe a beach somewhere.

jeep63

We are still planning to go; we leave next Friday 3/13. What we are debating is driving down vs. flying. This approach eliminates a huge potential exposure time period, and gives us the flexibility to just leave if events begin to turn. It is a 14-15 hour drive, but may be worth it in the long run.