Coronavirus

Anne

I just cancelled my THIRD WDW trip, scheduled for early-February. Oops, that was supposed to be a business conference. The conference hasn't been cancelled yet, but it probably will be, soon. I had a nice Preferred Studio at RR booked, and my 30-day DVC cancelling window is 1/7. I'd had some points borrowed from 2022, and MS was nice enough to un-borrow those points given the COVID-related cancellation. The agent made sure to be clear that un-borrowing isn't an official policy at this point.

So yeah, I can't believe we're at this point again either.
Glad to hear you were able to salvage the points! I hope we don't end up losing our spring break points that can no longer be banked.

smwisc

Our school district is voting on January 6th as to whether masks should be optional. They made the announcement about the vote towards the beginning of December and it was pretty clear that they were going to make them voluntary. I would like to think that the data since the first of December will change some votes.
Our kids' school district is still mask required (well, we have a county mandate, but even when that was expected to expire, pre-Omicron, they were going to require masks at least through late January and beyond that for elementary) - the largest nearby district just announced they are going to start virtual, so that's the discussion around here (I don't think our district will, but who knows). Meanwhile, 30 minutes from here, my niece and nephew's school is going mask optional starting January 3. Two different universes. My niece and nephew will be in N95s or KF94s - my brother has a PhD in public health and has been fighting the good fight all this time (with some success, early on), but the deniers have finally overcome.

Strangeite

Our kids' school district is still mask required (well, we have a county mandate, but even when that was expected to expire, pre-Omicron, they were going to require masks at least through late January and beyond that for elementary) - the largest nearby district just announced they are going to start virtual, so that's the discussion around here (I don't think our district will, but who knows). Meanwhile, 30 minutes from here, my niece and nephew's school is going mask optional starting January 3. Two different universes. My niece and nephew will be in N95s or KF94s - my brother has a PhD in public health and has been fighting the good fight all this time (with some success, early on), but the deniers have finally overcome.
I couldn't believe a quote from one of the school board members, "Yeah, a bunch of people will get sick but enough is enough."

Edit: I looked up his exact quote. "I’m ready to make masks optional. People are going to get sick, but we can’t keep going like this."

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
I can't wait to find out where Ron DeSantis has been since 12/14. If his disappearance is COVID-related, his political career is kaput. Or not.

lovett1979

For those of you worried about your kids being back in classrooms, especially those where masking is optional, you might want to consider building a Corsi/Rosenthal air filtration system and donating it to their class. The materials cost less than $100 and can be purchased from Lowes/Home Depot/etc. I believe it is quite simple to build the box, though I have not done it myself.

U

User56767

I can't wait to find out where Ron DeSantis has been since 12/14. If his disappearance is COVID-related, his political career is kaput. Or not.

Surviving COVID for him will be like a badge of honor, and demonstrate how strong he is.

Mrs Darling

We just got word that the kids will be doing online school for the first 2 weeks. They had already shifted the break so that they were off until he 10th. They’ll re-evaluate after 2 weeks.
We’re in a small eastern Canadian province that is community-minded and largely rule followers (anti-masker/ vaxers are around but a small minority) We’ve also had decent leadership and more than our fair share of luck. We made it through the first 3 waves largely unscathed. Everyone let their guard down and Delta hit hard this fall but almost entirely for unvaxxed or high risk. That hadn’t even subsided And now Omicron is set to tear through. We’re currently at twice as many active cases as we’d been at any time during the pandemic and a graph line that goes straight up, with testing past capacity so who knows what the real story is.

It’s really hard to reset teenagers expectations without freaking them out. They’re both prone to anxiety ( including social anxiety that hasn’t been helped by COVID limitations) so I’m trying to balance their development with safety. They were just starting to feel some independence (15yo was finally getting off her device and seeing friends in person; the 17yo got her drivers license and as been here,there and everywhere) it’s going to be hard to put that genie back in the bottle. I can see the youngest going into a full depression we struggled with earlier in the pandemic. They’re double vaxxed and perfectly willing to mask including kn95s.
Anyone else struggling with this? Any suggestions for an approach to limitations that worked for others? Our friends seem to run the whole range from completely locked down to “what pandemic”. I’m shooting for something in the middle.

A Tripper

For those of you worried about your kids being back in classrooms, especially those where masking is optional, you might want to consider building a Corsi/Rosenthal air filtration system and donating it to their class. The materials cost less than $100 and can be purchased from Lowes/Home Depot/etc. I believe it is quite simple to build the box, though I have not done it myself.

20211123_173736_small.jpg20211123_173746_small.jpg

I built this for Thanksgiving! Wedge design instead of the cube. Here's where I got the instructions, along with the CleanAirCrew page for further reference.

U

User56767

Any suggestions for an approach to limitations that worked for others? Our friends seem to run the whole range from completely locked down to “what pandemic”. I’m shooting for something in the middle.
That's tough because it sounds like you had a long period of things being close to normal. We had a brief period of a few weeks in late-June/July where we ate indoors at restaurants a couple of times and flew to visit relatives once. Other than that, it's been take-out only, fully masked, social distanced, no indoor gatherings for our teen (started the pandemic as a high school junior, now a college first year). So this wave is "more of the same" with additional vigilance due to the incredible transmissibility of this variant.

If Omicron really does peak quickly and then decline, which we should know here in NYS by mid- to late-January, then maybe position it to your kids as only a temporary reversion to significant restrictions?

smwisc

We just got word that the kids will be doing online school for the first 2 weeks. They had already shifted the break so that they were off until he 10th. They’ll re-evaluate after 2 weeks.
We’re in a small eastern Canadian province that is community-minded and largely rule followers (anti-masker/ vaxers are around but a small minority) We’ve also had decent leadership and more than our fair share of luck. We made it through the first 3 waves largely unscathed. Everyone let their guard down and Delta hit hard this fall but almost entirely for unvaxxed or high risk. That hadn’t even subsided And now Omicron is set to tear through. We’re currently at twice as many active cases as we’d been at any time during the pandemic and a graph line that goes straight up, with testing past capacity so who knows what the real story is.

It’s really hard to reset teenagers expectations without freaking them out. They’re both prone to anxiety ( including social anxiety that hasn’t been helped by COVID limitations) so I’m trying to balance their development with safety. They were just starting to feel some independence (15yo was finally getting off her device and seeing friends in person; the 17yo got her drivers license and as been here,there and everywhere) it’s going to be hard to put that genie back in the bottle. I can see the youngest going into a full depression we struggled with earlier in the pandemic. They’re double vaxxed and perfectly willing to mask including kn95s.
Anyone else struggling with this? Any suggestions for an approach to limitations that worked for others? Our friends seem to run the whole range from completely locked down to “what pandemic”. I’m shooting for something in the middle.
That is hard. With our kids (two teens and one younger), we've generally been letting them interact with friends except at the very beginning of the pandemic. Through 2020 and early 2021, that meant a lot of outdoors, and masking indoors. Since everyone has been vaccinated (and we know their friends, and friends' families, are), we've loosened up on masks within those relatively small circles - which are also the kids they go to school with, so it doesn't seem like it increases risk dramatically, and the emotional/mental health benefits are huge.

geek1997

I feel like if they go back in person on Monday we are almost certain to end up with Omicron.
We will definitely go back in person, without mask requirements, so I think we're in the same boat - it's just a matter of time. We've already begun to fight with the girls about masks when they go back. It will be a struggle to get my oldest to wear one. My youngest doesn't want to wear anything more than a surgical and maybe a cloth over it. We have until Wednesday to figure it out.

I bought three different types of KN94 masks (BOTN and Blue) on recommendation from the mask nerd and reordered the N95s (Pandmedic) my MIL gave my husband back in August. None of them fit the person for which they were purchased. :rolleyes: The smalls (BOTN and Blue) were too small for my 6th grader. The BOTN mediums are too small for me. And the re-purchased ones were smaller and differently shaped than the originals.

Finding masks that fit has been one of the biggest sources of anxiety for me during the whole pandemic. I can never get a good seal over the nose. I've even made some homemade ones that my husband used for the first almost 12 months and did well with. Mine were comfortable enough but still couldn't get a good seal over my nose.

@Mrs Darling I wish I had some sage advice but we are mostly in the same boat. We sent our 11yo back to face-to-face two weeks before Christmas break because her anxiety had gotten so bad and we believe it's mostly stemming from control issues.

JulieC

The career center my twins go to (they are seniors, only go in person for half a day now, plus an online college class each) mandated masks for a few weeks starting tomorrow. They don't eat lunch there, M is a germaphobe of high degree, so I am not too worried about them. My sophomore that goes to a "mask optional" school all day with the mask-whiners and sleeps in my bed 99% of the time ... that's where my danger is, though she is pretty compliant about masking.

*** My sophomore's school implemented mandatory masking for at least a couple weeks! (y)

Last edited:

Anne

What a difference a week makes. Mondays are my hospital morning. This Monday vs last Monday were vastly different. There is now 1 out of the 4 hallways on postpartum dedicated to COVID positive moms. The nurses said it's been "non-stop" all week. One of the midwives told me she had more positive moms under her care (including her prenatals) last week than in all of the prior year. Overall those who are vaccinated are doing well compared to last winter. We had fewer positive moms last winter at the peak (partly the less contagious variant, partly many were very cautious leading up to delivery because they were not vaccinated) but they were sicker overall when positive. Although there have been unvaccinated who have been sick enough to require ICU care this week. The nurses are also stressed with staffing shortages as the "staff is dropping like flies".

U

User56767

I was in a zoom meeting with 10 other people yesterday. One was home with two covid-positive middle schoolers. Another got called away mid-meeting to pick up their son from daycare because he had a fever (not sure if that was COVID or not).

Local school districts, already low on bus drivers, are facing new shortages and are combining routes (up to 2 hour delay arriving to schools in the morning) or cancelling routes altogether (parents get a message around 6:30 whether or not the bus will be coming that day).

Seems like the spike that started hitting here a couple of weeks ago (and is still rising) is starting down south. It's going to be an ugly few weeks.

projectx

Kids went back to school today, and they have not reinstituted the mask mandate. It's going to get really ugly.

Meanwhile, despite the steep rise in cases, despite the hospitals overflowing, despite the hospitals beginning to postpone elective procedures and surgeries, mask wearing is still incredibly low here in Cincinnati. In two brief trips to the grocery story the last few days, I'd but mask wearing somewhere around 1 in 7. And of those wearing a surgical mask or better? About 1 in HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

lovett1979

My subway line has been suspended since last Thursday. And the lines that are running have trains 10-12 minutes apart (rather than 5-7). The MTA just doesn't have enough staff to run all the trains as usual. My commute yesterday was a nightmare between the lack of trains and the unmasked riders. Luckily, my boss said to work the rest of the week from home. We'll see what happens next week?

RetroCOTfan

Just got back (on 1/1) from 10 days at WDW. I was frankly amazed at the number of people wearing masks outdoors, which of course wasn't required. As has been our practice, we chose to do that, generally only pulling them down when we were well clear of other people. But it was encouraging to see so many others do that, too. As always, there were some maskholes who did everything they could to avoid wearing them indoors (pulling them down as soon as an attraction started, etc.) but even that was more rare than I expected.

Compared to (the lack of) mask usage here at home (TX), it was quite a pleasant surprise. Was it perfect? No. But way better than I thought it would be.