Coronavirus

RetroCOTfan

Just got back (on 1/1) from 10 days at WDW. I was frankly amazed at the number of people wearing masks outdoors, which of course wasn't required. As has been our practice, we chose to do that, generally only pulling them down when we were well clear of other people. But it was encouraging to see so many others do that, too. As always, there were some maskholes who did everything they could to avoid wearing them indoors (pulling them down as soon as an attraction started, etc.) but even that was more rare than I expected.

Compared to (the lack of) mask usage here at home (TX), it was quite a pleasant surprise. Was it perfect? No. But way better than I thought it would be.

Strangeite

24 yo son and fiancé have it. Luckily both are feeling ok and their jobs have excellent policies in place to quarantine.
Told them that we were going to drop some food off on their porch tomorrow and asked if we could pick anything else up. A couple of hours later received a pretty extensive list of items (they have been learning to cook) and then an hour later asked if instead we could just pick up an order that they placed from the grocery.

They want to use their quarantine time to try and make all of their meals from scratch and didn't want us to buy everything they thought they needed. I'm proud. My wife and I also looked at their list and added a few things to our order to throw into their bags that they probably don't realize they will want.

BoSoxGal

Told them that we were going to drop some food off on their porch tomorrow and asked if we could pick anything else up. A couple of hours later received a pretty extensive list of items (they have been learning to cook) and then an hour later asked if instead we could just pick up an order that they placed from the grocery.

They want to use their quarantine time to try and make all of their meals from scratch and didn't want us to buy everything they thought they needed. I'm proud. My wife and I also looked at their list and added a few things to our order to throw into their bags that they probably don't realize they will want.
Aww. Hope they’re still feeling okay!

Strangeite

Aww. Hope they’re still feeling okay!
We dropped the food off in a box they left on the porch. However, had to turn around two minutes later because we had forgotten the D&D character sheets he asked me to print (I’m judging my son for not having a preference on character sheet style) so KN95 masked up he opened the door for the folder.

I was in the car and when I saw him thought he looked like crap or really high. When my wife got back in the car she said she could smell weed through her mask and being socially distanced.

So I think they are ok.

A Tripper

That brings back memories. I haven't used these guys in nearly 30 years.
DND_basic.jpgDND_adv.jpg

Edited to say: I should have said, nearly 40 years. :RpS_scared:

Last edited:

geek1997

My daughter has recently expressed a desire to learn to play D&D. So we got her the 5th edition starter set for Christmas. And now I'm spending some of my "free" time trying to figure the basics out. The learning curve is very steep, which is why we've never tried before.

Anne

View attachment 11598View attachment 11599

This is a blast from the past. My brother had both of these. He'd twist my arm to play, I'd spend more time than I wanted setting up a character, and then He'd kill me off. He couldn't understand why I didn't enjoy the game 🙄

projectx

Uh-Oh. Our district superintendent just reimplemented the school mask mandate. Can't wait to hear all the crying from the anti-maskers. 😂

In effect for the next two weeks, and will be revaluated at that time.

Anne

Our testing turn around has really gone up. My son was tested at 3 pm Friday and we didn't get results (negative) until Monday at 10:30 am. Even with Delta this fall we were getting results in 12-18 hrs even over the weekend (it's run by the hospital lab). He was thrilled to get a 2nd day home from school, but my husband, who is working from home, is not.

bnoble

he's right
Our asymptomatic screening tests (saliva) have been turning around in less than 24 hours (which is new---it used to be more like 36). I suspect we are doing them in-house at Michigan Medicine and have invested in more capacity this term, though.

I have another coming up Wednesday (I'm screening weekly) so we will see.

Strangeite

View attachment 11598View attachment 11599

My daughter has recently expressed a desire to learn to play D&D. So we got her the 5th edition starter set for Christmas. And now I'm spending some of my "free" time trying to figure the basics out. The learning curve is very steep, which is why we've never tried before.
I have the second of those books in my basement currently. Back in the mid-80’s in Appalachia, I became friends with Kevin. His dad taught computers at the community college and they asked if I wanted to have sleepovers and play D&D.

Yes please!

Anne

lovett1979

Since NYC is a week or two ahead of the rest of the country, you might be interested to know that our cases are falling pretty steadily now. We are at around 23,500 cases, a number last seen around Dec 22. We reached our peak on Jan 3 with 42,000 cases. I'm thankful that I've been able to work from home these last few weeks because the trains are crowded (Covid-related staffing issues for the MTA) with people who still (!) don't know how to mask properly.

ETA This wave is obviously far from over, but I think it we can confidently say it's on the downswing.

Last edited:

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
Since NYC is a week or two ahead of the rest of the country, you might be interested to know that our cases are falling pretty steadily now. We are at around 23,500 cases, a number last seen around Dec 22. We reached our peak on Jan 3 with 42,000 cases. I'm thankful that I've been able to work from home these last few weeks because the trains are crowded (Covid-related staffing issues for the MTA) with people who still (!) don't know how to mask properly.
South Africa recently saw a sharp decrease in positives, which, it is said could very well be the trend for this variant. The falling NYC numbers certainly bear this out. Hopeful here.

lovett1979

South Africa recently saw a sharp decrease in positives, which, it is said could very well be the trend for this variant. The falling NYC numbers certainly bear this out. Hopeful here.

Yes. Though there was discussion that the population differences between countries (sadly, much of South Africa's older population died during the first wave of Covid) and that they are in summer and we are in winter meant that they were not completely comparable.

George

Yes. Though there was discussion that the population differences between countries (sadly, much of South Africa's older population died during the first wave of Covid) and that they are in summer and we are in winter meant that they were not completely comparable.
True, but we’ll hopefully be headed in the right direction sooner or later.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Fingers crossed and all that but this was supposedly over last summer and then all the models predicted the delta wave would peak and fade out by mid September and now everyone is saying this has peaked and things are improving and I hope they are but how does the saying go fool me once shame on you fool me four times shame on me?

George

Fingers crossed and all that but this was supposedly over last summer and then all the models predicted the delta wave would peak and fade out by mid September and now everyone is saying this has peaked and things are improving and I hope they are but how does the saying go fool me once shame on you fool me four times shame on me?
Who's trying to fool you? :RpS_biggrin: