Coronavirus

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Why is it important to find a source that you can trust? It''s reported that the state of GA played with their stats to show that cases were going down in order to justify reopening the state. May 5 was followed by April 25, etc. to suggest a downslope. Scientists think this was not accidental.

Nia

I work for american/international company and was told I won't be in the office before September. I was working 2 or 3 days weekly from home, so this is not that shocking. They are not taking any chances really

I resigned to the fact and getting on with things. Would love Disney to reopen adn us to book trip for next year - although honestly I don't know if it's good idea!

No offers for next year yet either but I am sure tehre will be some

Anne

I really liked this quote from an article in the LA Times about their mask requirement.

"From Hong Kong, Katie de Tilly has some words of wisdom in that regard.

“If we could change the mentality to benevolence toward others rather than fear of catching something from someone else or protecting our rights, perhaps it would open people’s hearts toward a shared goal of a better next step in the world,” she said."

We sadly just cancelled our June lake cottage vacation which we had scheduled prior to the shut down for my younger son's 8th birthday celebration. I feel bad for him and while disappointed, he's being a good sport about it. While it's a lower-risk option it isn't risk-free and with uncertainty about what the curve will do with re-opening and my exposure to those at higher risk I'm not comfortable with any travel right now.

My hospital is down to 1-2 cases in the ICU and our county numbers are flat. But in the county 2 hrs away where my 85 year-old mother-in-law is in assisted living, the cases continue to rise. Their ICU is full and one of our RN family members has said they will likely need to open a new unit. The community has more manufacturing jobs considered essential and many have remained open throughout the shut down and are now having clusters of outbreak. My husband's good friend says every day 3-4 more people are out at work.

I keep hoping people will overall remain cautious as we reopen. While we are low in cases on a local level, it won't take much in-state travel for rates to rise again.

Momofpirates

My county's numbers (5 positive recovered, 1 death 1 suspected that never changed from suspected) have been the same for about a month, until yesterday. They have had 2 positive antibody tests and they are counting those as positive cases.

Not That Josh

“If we could change the mentality to benevolence toward others rather than fear of catching something from someone else or protecting our rights, perhaps it would open people’s hearts toward a shared goal of a better next step in the world,”
I wish that quote brought out optimism for me, but it was the opposite. Hopefully, it's just that I'm in a bad mood today.

Anne

My county's numbers (5 positive recovered, 1 death 1 suspected that never changed from suspected) have been the same for about a month, until yesterday. They have had 2 positive antibody tests and they are counting those as positive cases.
Glad to hear your area has been relatively spared from the virus!

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I read the CDC's recommendations for using pools. 6' apart in the pool, 6' away from non-family members outside the pool. That will be tough, if not impossible, at resort pools. I'm thinking how crowded the pools get in the afternoon. If you remove 80% of the lounge chairs, or put them in clusters for family seating, it's going to be a mess.

Not That Josh

It baffles me that people still don't understand that the 19 in covid-19 is for the year it started.

I was understanding in the beginning, but now it's just annoying to hear things like these:

- "Why are we so worked up about covid-19 when covid-1 through covid-18 were never a big deal?"
- "What can we do to prevent covid-20 or covid-21?"

Yes, the covid-20 or covid-21 in the second statement could theoretically become valid diseases. When I saw that statement, it was clear from the context the person wasn't talking about that.

Anne

It baffles me that people still don't understand that the 19 in covid-19 is for the year it started.

I was understanding in the beginning, but now it's just annoying to hear things like these:

- "Why are we so worked up about covid-19 when covid-1 through covid-18 were never a big deal?"
- "What can we do to prevent covid-20 or covid-21?"

Yes, the covid-20 or covid-21 in the second statement could theoretically become valid diseases. When I saw that statement, it was clear from the context the person wasn't talking about that.
I would suggest that if this is a direct interaction with someone you know, it could be an opening to engage in a meaningful discussion and skirt over the nomenclature. Granted, in my professional role people tend to be genuinely asking for information and are usually receptive to what I might say, so you'd need to gauge the intent of the other party. My approach if I thought these were genuine requests for information would be something like:

"That's an interesting question and something being studied. The current understanding of the coronavirus strains that infect humans is that there are 4 mild subtypes of virus (and within those 4 subtypes many small yearly variations or strains). Those mild subtypes have caused common cold symptoms in humans for years. There are 3 newer (first outbreak in 2002) subtypes that can cause serious or lethal infections. The virus subtype (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19 is just the 3rd of these potentially lethal subtypes but was given the 19 in the name for the year it was first identified in humans. We think these potentially lethal subtypes came from a jump from animal to human and did not come from the yearly mild subtypes already circulating.

Think of COVID-19 as the 7th cousin of those cold-causing subtypes. Our immune system is unfamiliar with this new distant-relation and doesn't know how to respond quickly the way we would to a strain directly descended from the one that gave us a cold last year. We are more worried about COVID-19 because it can spread unchecked to more people (no one has an immune defense already in place because it's new) and can cause more serious illness than its cold-causing distant cousin."

My goal is to answer the underlying question and provide the nomenclature information as part of the process without directly pointing out the misunderstanding. But this is also what I do all day every day. There is rarely someone who comes in for their well baby check who doesn't have a virus question. My experience is there is a broad range of baseline knowledge and educational starting point for people. Some people have had more time or inclination to read up on the subject. Some are struggling to keep their head above water juggling continuing to work essential jobs, child care, and now home schooling on top of it all. They haven't had an opportunity to do a lot of reading. They might be anxious, confused, not sure who or what information to trust.

I apologize Josh, I'm reading what I wrote and it's sounding preachy, which truly wasn't my intent. You had mentioned previously feeling a lack of optimism. I feel those dark moments too sometimes and am trying to pass on a coping strategy that has helped me. Again I apologize if I'm totally off the mark, just ignore me.

And if it's Uncle Bob who is frustrated and just wants a verbal release and not an answer to his question, or a random person on the internet trying to drum up outrage, then I do my best to conserve my endorphins and ignore a situation where I can't provide anything constructive.

moscow

Think of COVID-19 as the 7th cousin of those cold-causing subtypes. Our immune system is unfamiliar with this new distant-relation and doesn't know how to respond quickly the way we would to a strain directly descended from the one that gave us a cold last year. We are more worried about COVID-19 because it can spread unchecked to more people (no one has an immune defense already in place because it's new) and can cause more serious illness than its cold-causing distant cousin."
Anne -- is the medical community still getting generic questions about COVID-19 or comparisons to the cold or flu? I ask because this just baffles me. What do those asking the questions think has been happening for the past 8 weeks?

Not That Josh

I would suggest that if this is a direct interaction with someone you know, it could be an opening to engage in a meaningful discussion and skirt over the nomenclature. Granted, in my professional role people tend to be genuinely asking for information and are usually receptive to what I might say, so you'd need to gauge the intent of the other party. My approach if I thought these were genuine requests for information would be something like:

"That's an interesting question and something being studied. The current understanding of the coronavirus strains that infect humans is that there are 4 mild subtypes of virus (and within those 4 subtypes many small yearly variations or strains). Those mild subtypes have caused common cold symptoms in humans for years. There are 3 newer (first outbreak in 2002) subtypes that can cause serious or lethal infections. The virus subtype (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19 is just the 3rd of these potentially lethal subtypes but was given the 19 in the name for the year it was first identified in humans. We think these potentially lethal subtypes came from a jump from animal to human and did not come from the yearly mild subtypes already circulating.

My goal is to answer the underlying question and provide the nomenclature information as part of the process without directly pointing out the misunderstanding. But this is also what I do all day every day. There is rarely someone who comes in for their well baby check who doesn't have a virus question. My experience is there is a broad range of baseline knowledge and educational starting point for people. Some people have had more time or inclination to read up on the subject. Some are struggling to keep their head above water juggling continuing to work essential jobs, child care, and now home schooling on top of it all. They haven't had an opportunity to do a lot of reading. They might be anxious, confused, not sure who or what information to trust.

I apologize Josh, I'm reading what I wrote and it's sounding preachy, which truly wasn't my intent. You had mentioned previously feeling a lack of optimism. I feel those dark moments too sometimes and am trying to pass on a coping strategy that has helped me. Again I apologize if I'm totally off the mark, just ignore me.

And if it's Uncle Bob who is frustrated and just wants a verbal release and not an answer to his question, or a random person on the internet trying to drum up outrage, then I do my best to conserve my endorphins and ignore a situation where I can't provide anything constructive.
Love your answer. Thank You.

I will be vague, but most of my frustration in my post is towards entities from which people receive their information and who should feel a responsibility to give an accurate representation of reality. (sounds silly vague, but hopefully makes sense)

Anne

Anne -- is the medical community still getting generic questions about COVID-19 or comparisons to the cold or flu? I ask because this just baffles me. What do those asking the questions think has been happening for the past 8 weeks?
The short answer is yes. Generic questions and cold/flu comparisons are fewer and farther between for sure. For some people if they don't see the impact directly in their community they still question if this is overblown. Or if they know someone who didn't get that sick, or they themselves had it and didn't get that sick, they fall back on feeling it's probably not as bad as "that media hype" is making it out to be.

I should point out this is absolutely NOT the majority of people. The majority of people are concerned, they are staying home, they recognize wearing a mask is to protect others in their community, they are nervous about reopening. The majority of questions I field these days are "when should we go back to work" and "when should be have our kids go back into a daycare setting".

We decided to cancel our August trip. Really, really bummed. It was to be DD's last trip with us before college.
So sorry. But, if your DD is like ours, college won't stop her from joining you on future Disney trips. Our DD would be furious if we even considered a trip without her!

As of now, we have a trip scheduled in August and October - the first is to move our DD down there for Fall DCP and then to visit her. They haven't made an announcement regarding Fall DCP yet, but we're hopeful that they say something following today's announcement on re-opening. Honestly, at this point, she just wants them to cancel her program. Even if they have it, she knows everything is going to be abnormal, and she really doesn't want to spend her entire program telling people to put on masks and wiping things down. The only way we'll be going is if she's there - otherwise, we'll be staying away for a while. It's sad, and I sympathize with how hard the decision was for you to cancel.