Coronavirus

Nia

I know hundreds or thousands of cast members, and while this is a particularly bad time, almost everyone is either in the same position making basically the same money as they did three or four years ago or quit. There are a couple of exceptions if you are good at networking. But those types of people will have similar success no matter where they go.
Is that not the case with that type of jobs elsewhere? Is it different in Universal for example?

I am sorry to hear about layoffs at Universal. I hope once vaccine is found and international travel resumes demand will come back too

amk3

FL has been screwing with their numbers from the start. I do't trust anything that the state or media (parroting the info they get from FL) reports.
Your opinion of Florida’s record keeping is irrelevant to NY’s quarantine threshold. But as someone who has been closely following the data in a state with a governor similar to DeSantis I think you are underestimating the complexity involved. We have multiple sources of different types of data from different county and state agencies and from independent hospitals. I tend to suspect many governors and their administrations are doing things at the margins if they can. We do know DeSantis’s administration interfered in one way: they tried to make the data available in ways that made it more work for reporters to be able to analyze independently. For that he got lots of negative national headlines and a new even more public friendly independent version of Florida’s dashboard. And that’s not nearly as nefarious or as complicated as faking state and local county reports of declining cases, declining positivity, local hospital reports of lower patient loads, local hospitals exiting diversion status, local coroners reporting fewer deaths with Covid as a cause.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Some non-opinion, fact-based reporting of allegations that TWDC is covering up COVID cases at Disneyland and urging sick cast members to return to work before the virus has run its course.

If the allegations are true, do you think these kinds of labor practices are limited to just Disneyland?

TiggerGirl

Yes that is the narrative that is furthered but it is far from the reality of 99.9% of the people who will start at Disney or the other theme parks. Most companies have a story of someone who started in the mailroom and is now the CEO. Usually because they forget to tell you that the mail person is related to the current boss.

It happens. It's probably just not going to happen to you. But the narrative is a powerful one. It's the only reason I can figure out why anyone would clean bathrooms in Tomorrowland when you could make the same or more money basically doing anything else anywhere else. "Once I get out of here I'm moving up." Realistically, probably not.

I know hundreds or thousands of cast members, and while this is a particularly bad time, almost everyone is either in the same position making basically the same money as they did three or four years ago or quit. There are a couple of exceptions if you are good at networking. But those types of people will have similar success no matter where they go.

I only know a few CM's and one has worked all over the place and is now O&T for the Cruise line and the other literally started on Pirates and eventually was actually working on Main St USA in the offices upstairs and now has an office at TTC and is on the team that develops training for the entire area. Will either of them ever be VP of anything? Unlikely. But they moved around a lot and let it be known they were willing to move and had some success because of it. :)

I'm still waiting for my call to be a parade performer

Anne

Some non-opinion, fact-based reporting of allegations that TWDC is covering up COVID cases at Disneyland and urging sick cast members to return to work before the virus has run its course.

If the allegations are true, do you think these kinds of labor practices are limited to just Disneyland?

Tom Bricker posted a link to this article which I found helpful.

I'm hearing similar reports from parents/families about multiple employers locally. And also daycares not notifying families if they have a mask requirement. Currently our health department only requires notification/quarantine if a contact is without a mask for greater than 15 minutes. I'm seeing moms from my kids' school posting on Facebook about how we haven't had any daycare outbreaks locally over the summer. We have but they haven't been reported widely because they are small clusters and there have been no mass notifications, only those that meet the health department criteria.

Last edited:

Anne

I know a Liberty University student (not through work) COVID positive and quarantined. I only have 2nd hand information from their mother. But transmission was thought to occur outdoors at a prayer meeting (I didn't hear if they had masks). If it were a different school I'd be thinking "right, prayer meeting, is that what they're calling it? In my day we favored the term kegger". But if source of transmission is accurate, it's a reminder that outside is better but not risk-free. Especially for a prolonged time, in closer contact, with speaking/singing.

Final thought. A patient asked me to pass on regret at participating in non-essential higher-risk activities. Healthy people in their 20s and 30s can end up hospitalized. It's best-case unpleasant. And this individual felt really badly about the exposure to the nurses and staff at the hospital. The nurses I work with are some of the most caring and empathetic people I know. I think that really touched this person who said they hadn't thought beyond "what risk am I comfortable with taking". Things don't always turn out as we plan and sometimes we have less control over our potential future contacts than we imagined.

Nia

More restrictions coming our way in Dublin. It seems they will be closing indoor dining again. Weddings/funerals up to 25 people only. No contact sports apart from professional. We won't be allowed leaving the county. Only people from one family can visit your home.

I am so sick of it.

It's due to kick in very soon, friend is rushing to buy gym equipment/weights. My in laws will probably hit mass in the church for last time before it goes online. I booked meal out in our favourite restaurant. I have 2 hours and 10 minutes to go until our dinner adr, hoping they don't make announcement before that

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

We're all sick of it, and heading into winter it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Accepting that things will be like this for about another 12 months is probably mentally healthier than a scientifically-unjustifiable "we've got to get back to normal" before then.

moscow

We're all sick of it, and heading into winter it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Accepting that things will be like this for about another 12 months is probably mentally healthier than a scientifically-unjustifiable "we've got to get back to normal" before then.
We call it "managing expectations" in our house. When this all hit back in March, we had a family meeting and my husband reminded everyone that we would need to "manage expectations" for at least the next year. It seems to have helped. I hear the kids reminding one another about what are and are not appropriate "expectations" given that we have 2 very high risk people in the house. Even if everyone here were out and about acting as if things were "normal" (which thankfully they are not), the kids know that we would still be staying at home and only going out under very strictly monitored situations. And that this would remain in effect until a vaccine is out and universally available.

Reactions: Nia

DopeyRunr

Yes, that's exactly it. When everything shut down back in March our boss wanted to "stay positive" and would only look at cancelling events and travel two weeks out at a time, so every two weeks we'd have to wait to learn if our work from home was approved for another two weeks. Eventually she relented and now we're looking out until 12/31. Which is still about six months short, in my opinion, but better than before.

Nia

We had very low rate for some time. As low as 10 positive cases each day for the country. Now we have 250 and half in Dublin so Dublin will have additional measures. There is such dramatic difference between how Florida is dealing with it and how we deal with it here and I wonder is there some middle ground between taking measures, but accepting some level will be there for some time.

I knew numbers will increase once school reopen. We were not offered online option, the aim was to get kids in schools but many use public transport and they aren't very good keeping distance. They are keeping schools open for now so I guess they need to find other ways to try to slower the increase

I was probably naive when we had the numbers so low, the government had plan to allow tax refund on money spend on eating out starting October. To see things being closed again instead.... I need to work on my acceptance.

Last edited:

bnoble

he's right
Accepting that things will be like this for about another 12 months
Yep, this. Absent either an effective treatment or a workable (family of) vaccine(s), the only tool we have for mitigation is individual and group behavior.

It's also likely to be the case that there won't be a sharply defined "end", but instead a gradual adjustment to a new normal.

Strangeite

It is worrying how many people are shocked when I say that we will still be doing this through at least next summer. And we are talking about educated professionals. They are taken aback when I mention that a lot of silicon valley has already told its workforce to just plan on working from home until summer of 2021. I don't know if it is just wishful thinking or what.

My suspicion is that those of us in the US have never dealt with a rolling disaster like this and don't have the experience to process it. With fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. while the initial event can be devastating, it doesn't take that long before things begin to get back to normal. There is no prior example of having to deal with something for a year and a half.

edit: After I wrote that, I thought of the people of Flint not being to able to use their running water is somewhat comprable.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
edit: After I wrote that, I thought of the people of Flint not being to able to use their running water is somewhat comprable.
Many of those are marginalized people who, in the great scheme of things, don't count. Can you imagine if the water crisis happened in Beverly Hills? Or in Bloomfield Hills, MI?

Strangeite

Many of those are marginalized people who, in the great scheme of things, don't count. Can you imagine if the water crisis happened in Beverly Hills? Or in Bloomfield Hills, MI?
Tyler Childers posted a statement today that kinda gets to the heart of that. I've known Tyler for over a decade and after I watched his statement I said to my wife, "He's a good kid," but then had to stop myself because he ain't a kid anymore.

Here is the NPR article on his statement.

The whole album that he felt the need to make the statement about is really good, but particularly the last track that NPR posts at the end of the article.

DopeyRunr

It is worrying how many people are shocked when I say that we will still be doing this through at least next summer.
My daughter asked about prom the other day. If it's in April/May, they couldn't plan it with less than two months notice (usually it takes 4-6 months planning) so you're talking February, at which time they'd have to have full confidence that an effective vaccine had been developed AND widely distributed and made available to hundreds of millions of people in the US. There's just no way when you walk the timeline back that prom works.

So we're in hybrid school (at best) through the end of the 20-21 school year. MAYBE things are "normal" in the fall of 2021 but I mean we still can't find Windex at the supermarket so you're going to tell me the handful of companies worldwide that make those tiny vials that vaccines come in are going to be able to produce 7 billion of those in a few months?

ETA: Oh, and that's assuming the vaccine doesn't require two doses for effectiveness, in which case you'll need 14 billion of those tiny vials, and 14 billion needles etc. etc. etc. meanwhile I have cloth masks a friend made because we can't produce enough real masks.