Coronavirus

Not That Josh

If you are an adult with a significant fever and no other identifiable cause it's still more likely COVID than not, even with a negative test. Which is why our health department guidelines, provided in writing to each person tested, state you should quarantine 10 days from onset of symptoms and be fever free at least 24 hrs, regardless of test results..
As soon as I started the fever, I stayed away from everyone and I wasn't spending time around many people before :) . The cough came about a day later. It was still two days before I had a test ordered and done (annoying and too long to explain why it took longer to get the test and result :rolleyes:).

As a result, the test results haven't really affected my actions. When I posted yesterday, the fever had just come back shortly before my post. I didn't notice a fever for 24 to 36 hours before that, I had even stopped checking it regularly.

I don't know if I have COVID or not, and it doesn't really matter to me now. The only real benefit to knowing for sure would be if we understood immunity with the virus better. Knowing would be nice but it's not important. :)

I added a couple of :) to lighten the tone because I thought my post read a little dark/negative. I'm okay and improving.

Not That Josh

Take care of yourself, NTJ. I’m sending good vibes your way.
Thank You, I am. I think I am doing the right things in case I have it, if only everyone in my situation could try to do the same.

I don't "feel contagious", so I thought about going out to eat. Then I remembered that "feeling contagious" is not a real thing. :)

Nia

Anytime I hear the words feel and contagious together I think of "I feel stupid and contagious" from Nirvana song.

Numbers continue to grow in Europe. Friend in work is in hospital right now, my sister in law and my husband have scheduled hospital stays and I hope they managed to get through it before government take over private hospitals again. Not related to covid but 3 of them had to postpone procedures in the spring due to it. It's also really hard not being allowed near hospital at all when you have family there, even non covid unit

Dublin numbers are stabilizing, and we are ahead of the rest of the country with additional restrictions so I am hopeful the rest will follow. The big one is shutting down restaurants/pubs for indoor eating and drinking. Government rejected the recommendation to put us in much higher restrictions for now. After months of restrictions there is hard balance to be found - how not keep the cov19 numbers under control while not killing the economy completely and the mental health/wellbeing of people too. Schools are still open

Last edited:

Nia

Anne, your post with summary from dr Fauci was great. Would you be able to share some of the details again?

Anne

Anne, your post with summary from dr Fauci was great. Would you be able to share some of the details again?
Well, lets see if I can remember what I wrote...

Dr. Fauci was the opening speaker for the American Academy of Pediatrics Virtual National Convention last weekend.

Three interesting points:

1. Estimates are 40-45% of people infected are asymptomatic (or such minimal symptoms they don't register). Which is higher than estimates I'd seen prior to his talk.

2. He is expecting phase 3 vaccine trial data to be sufficient for the FDA to make determinations about safety and efficacy sometime between end of Nov and end of Dec. The timeline is largely dependent on the rate of infection in the test groups. The main candidates are already in production so if approved the hope is they can start shipping in January. He did stress the IF a candidate is approved.

3. They are ramping up production of 15 minute point of care tests and expect to ship 50-150 million to nursing homes, schools, and other high risk institutional settings.

I had seen another series of talks he gave on a physician continuing education site (mid summer). He made a fairly candid remark about the difficulties of making public statements. He is asked a question. Says we don't have enough information to know the answer. Is asked to make an educated guess. He gives an answer. A month later someone quotes him and says "see, he was wrong". I feel bad for him or anyone else trying to convey nuanced scientific information on the national media stage.

An update on my friend and colleague who is high risk and positive. Still pretty miserable. Lots of fatigue. But hasn't had to be hospitalized so that is a huge relief.

Reactions: Nia

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
He made a fairly candid remark about the difficulties of making public statements. He is asked a question. Says we don't have enough information to know the answer. Is asked to make an educated guess. He gives an answer. A month later someone quotes him and says "see, he was wrong". I feel bad for him or anyone else trying to convey nuanced scientific information on the national media stage.
IIRC, this is what happened early on when he said that the public shouldn't wear masks. The question was answered in consideration of the potential PPE shortage for those on the front line fighting the virus--the EMT's, doctors, nurses, etc. , yet the Covidiots ignore the context in which he said that.

Not That Josh

It's also really hard not being allowed near hospital at all when you have family there, even non covid unit
Our family has been going through this, too. I can't go anyway with my symptoms. Everyone understands the rules, but it's still hard on the ones who can't visit.

Strangeite

We are back home and our local school system has released the states students have to quarantine if they traveled during fall break. They are all states you would assume that would be on the list, except... North Dakota.

I don't get it. Our school district is basing their quarantine order on the positivity rate (specifically ones that are near or approaching 15%). North Dakota should be on that list, but isn't. And it ain't just our school district. CovidActNow and others have the positivity rate for North Dakota has NulValue.

I don't get it.

ThemeParkCommando

We are back home and our local school system has released the states students have to quarantine if they traveled during fall break. They are all states you would assume that would be on the list, except... North Dakota.

I don't get it. Our school district is basing their quarantine order on the positivity rate (specifically ones that are near or approaching 15%). North Dakota should be on that list, but isn't. And it ain't just our school district. CovidActNow and others have the positivity rate for North Dakota has NulValue.

I don't get it.
Maybe they think ND is mostly due to Sturgis fallout, and that the reports are too inconclusive to register? Dunno, hazarding a guess.

Strangeite

I think I found out what is going on with North Dakota. About a third of the way down this post on calculating positivity, they explain that North Dakota conducts much more retests than other states and they report said results differently than other states. The whole piece is good and illustrates the danger in relying too heavily on the positivity rate.

Test Positivity in the US is a Mess

smwisc

I think I found out what is going on with North Dakota. About a third of the way down this post on calculating positivity, they explain that North Dakota conducts much more retests than other states and they report said results differently than other states. The whole piece is good and illustrates the danger in relying too heavily on the positivity rate.

Test Positivity in the US is a Mess
Our local public health department did a similar blog post, except they used different terms to describe the three different methods - so even the discussion of the inconsistency is inconsistent! And it just contributes to people not wanting to rely on any data, when in reality it's very normal for there to be multiple valid ways of measuring something - but if there's no standard, and no one really even knows what method is being used . . . yeah, it's a mess.

Anne

Things continue to get worse here. I'm doing 5-6 tests per day in the "well" clinic. Prior to last week it was more of a slow trickle, 1 every couple of days. Our sick clinic is hundreds per day up from 20-40.

Our school of 350 has had 2 positives so far. None appear to have spread within school so that is one positive.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who are uninformed by how much of an increase we have right now. People are still saying it's "just" high numbers because of the University. The reality is the 19-24 year old rate is steady while all other age groups are at high rates of growth.

bnoble

he's right
You can't isolate college students from everyone else. Community members work in the dining halls, students shop, etc. etc.

(This is just like you can't separate the "low wage" economy from the "middle class" economy. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that the pandemic would not impact them financially, I'd be able to retire early.)

smwisc

Things continue to get worse here. I'm doing 5-6 tests per day in the "well" clinic. Prior to last week it was more of a slow trickle, 1 every couple of days. Our sick clinic is hundreds per day up from 20-40.

Our school of 350 has had 2 positives so far. None appear to have spread within school so that is one positive.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who are uninformed by how much of an increase we have right now. People are still saying it's "just" high numbers because of the University. The reality is the 19-24 year old rate is steady while all other age groups are at high rates of growth.
I've been calculating the 7 and 14-day per 100k by census tract in my own little spreadsheet. It's definitely not just the university.