Coronavirus

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The thing is, unlike masks, use of which protects OTHERS, this app actually protects the people who install it and their loved ones. If the app tells me that I may have been exposed, and I get tested as a result and I'm positive, then I can take measures to protect my family from getting it from me.

The app really needs to be marketed that way, but this whole thing has become so politicized, "protecting your loved ones" is probably considered a "liberal snowflake antifa" cause.

Nia

My daughter got a call from one of her high school coaches asking if she would consider "going out" for the basketball team (under a home school student exception) because they need 1 more player to complete the team for this year. Now, my daughter is going to school on-line, is a cancer survivor, and we have not left our house since March because she is very high risk, but this coach felt no compunction about calling her to ask her to go out for the basketball team. I cannot believe that: 1) they are even considering having a basketball team during the middle of a pandemic and I cannot even contemplate the danger that they are placing these children in; 2) they would ask a high risk person to consider going out for the team; and 3) he was shocked at the response he got from my husband (which I will NOT repeat here! LOL!). I cannot figure out what in the world is going through the minds of these people right now!
The church priest called my 80 year old father in law to say that they are opening and ask if he will start opening the church in the morning and closing it each night. My father in law helped few days a week before covid. It was back in April/May and over 70's were asked to cocoon and not leave the house even for walk, in small garden the man was walking around circles to get some movement. We brought them food and left it in front of the house, walked 2/3 meters away before they can open the door to collect it. He is very religious man, we were worried it will be hard to say no but he did. It turned out they were not allowed to open anway.

I was so shocked that the priest will ask someone in risk category, who is told not to leave the house to do a work that priests can easily do themselves! It was hard to keep my husband away from the church twitter account, he was not impressed at all!

Common sense doesn't seem very common at times.

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Coming off back-to-back record high cases, now the White House today finally admitting they're not going to control the spread. It's just heartbreaking and frustrating knowing things are only going to get worse as we head deeper into fall and on into winter and flu season.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 2.01.35 PM.png

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Coming off back-to-back record high cases, now the White House today finally admitting they're not going to control the spread. It's just heartbreaking and frustrating knowing things are only going to get worse as we head deeper into fall and on into winter and flu season.

View attachment 11274
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-10-24/whitefish-montana-coronavirus-outbreak

Insight into what's going on in MT, ND, SD. I'm all for the rights of the individual, but they end when they can affect (or in this case, infect) another.

Nia

This is very scary but not surprising considering the political rallies by the President. So many people close together many without masks. I hope vaccine or treatment come soon

Its going to be long winter.

Everyone I know is feel the second wave/ lockdown worse. Is it like this everywhere? Few people mentioned loving the first lockdown. Nobody is loving this one.

Anyone have tips on keeping sane?

Last edited:

Nia

Things are so strange with such long lockdown and/or restrictions. The first time around supermarkets were open and there were small sections with toys, socks etc. People are now calling the police to report supermarkets that sell non essential items. If other toy shops are asked to close, why are supermarkets still selling them. Illegal pub was found. Everyone is angry at everyone, people are not nice to teachers if they mention that schools bring risk - they are only happy if they keep quiet and keep the schools open.

First time around it felt everyone is supportive to everyone, this time it feels everyone is against everyone else.

smwisc

Things are so strange with such long lockdown and/or restrictions. The first time around supermarkets were open and there were small sections with toys, socks etc. People are now calling the police to report supermarkets that sell non essential items. If other toy shops are asked to close, why are supermarkets still selling them. Illegal pub was found. Everyone is angry at everyone, people are not nice to teachers if they mention that schools bring risk - they are only happy if they keep quiet and keep the schools open.

First time around it felt everyone is supportive to everyone, this time it feels everyone is against everyone else.
Well, around here we pretty much went straight to the "everyone against everyone else" stage. :( I don't think we could even have a "lockdown" - someone would sue and the courts would overturn it, people wouldn't comply anyway, and law enforcement won't enforce it.

• Sad
Reactions: Nia

bnoble

he's right
Anyone have tips on keeping sane?
Is outdoor exercise allowed where you are? If so, get outside for a walk every day if you can manage it. That may mean getting some extra cold-weather gear. For example, I got myself an extra pair or two of insulated base layers, some snow/windproof ski pants, and some ice grips for my boots. There are lots of city nature areas, county and state parks near me with some nice hiking that I'd already been doing late into the fall and early in the spring, and I plan to continue through the winter this year. I bought a pair of snowshoes last winter, but never got to use them. Maybe this year!

I've also worked at making my home a cozier, warmer, more comfortable place. I have a couple of quilts my Mom made that are nice to snuggle in. I keep candles lit most days and every night. I'm drinking a lot more tea. I've re-arranged my home office space and gotten it off of the dining table by adding a desk to the living space. I finally put up some of the pictures/art I've been meaning to put up for ages and have some more in mind to order. I make a point of changing the sheets on the bed a little more frequently. I try to stick to my skin care routine even if no one will see it.

Finally, I've tried to make a point of being nice to people---at least, the people who are doing their part. And it is worth remembering that most folks are doing just that. At least, they are where I live. Maybe that's true where you are too? If it is, try to focus on all of those people instead of the few who won't. Once you get a handle on that, try to see some of the worst of the "I don't want to do it" as an expression of insecurity on their part---because it usually is.

RetroCOTfan

I know other states are seeing higher per capita rates of infection, etc., but the raw numbers here in Texas are staggering. The current spike in El Paso has filled hospitals to capacity and led them to convert the El Paso Convention Center into a field hospital. But it's not just that. Depending on the source you look at, Texas has already or will soon surpass CA for the highest number of cases in the US (everything's bigger in TX??), and trails only NY in deaths. It is increasingly likely that TX will be the first state to hit 1M cases, and could do so within the next 1-2 weeks.

And it's not hard to see why. My FB feed is filled with people I know at birthday parties, weddings, and just generally doing "fun" things like escape rooms, big gatherings at restaurants, etc.--mostly all maskless. As a family that has tried our best to follow the guidance and reduce our risk factors, it's both insane and depressing to see. My wife's office, with a total staff of less than 130, has already had at least 5 employees diagnosed, all just within the last 3 months, and all from separate sources (not an outbreak within the office). But hey, at least our bars can open now.

Mrs Darling

Is outdoor exercise allowed where you are? If so, get outside for a walk every day if you can manage it. That may mean getting some extra cold-weather gear. For example, I got myself an extra pair or two of insulated base layers, some snow/windproof ski pants, and some ice grips for my boots. There are lots of city nature areas, county and state parks near me with some nice hiking that I'd already been doing late into the fall and early in the spring, and I plan to continue through the winter this year. I bought a pair of snowshoes last winter, but never got to use them. Maybe this year!

I've also worked at making my home a cozier, warmer, more comfortable place. I have a couple of quilts my Mom made that are nice to snuggle in. I keep candles lit most days and every night. I'm drinking a lot more tea. I've re-arranged my home office space and gotten it off of the dining table by adding a desk to the living space. I finally put up some of the pictures/art I've been meaning to put up for ages and have some more in mind to order. I make a point of changing the sheets on the bed a little more frequently. I try to stick to my skin care routine even if no one will see it.

Finally, I've tried to make a point of being nice to people---at least, the people who are doing their part. And it is worth remembering that most folks are doing just that. At least, they are where I live. Maybe that's true where you are too? If it is, try to focus on all of those people instead of the few who won't. Once you get a handle on that, try to see some of the worst of the "I don't want to do it" as an expression of insecurity on their part---because it usually is.
This is a great plan & approach. I’ve done about half these things and I’ll add the rest to my to do list. The other thing I’ve tried to do is seek out (non-social media) interactions with people. Without the opportunity to run into people around town or attend social activities, I find I end up with few interactions. I’ve been trying to call my mother & aunts more regularly, FaceTime with my in-laws & friends etc. At the same time, I’ve tried to limit social media because both the negative people & the COVID-over-achievers get me down.

Reactions: Nia

Strangeite

When the lockdown first started and the schools closed, we set up an extra table in the dining room to be able leave puzzles out, board games, etc. We jokingly refer to it as the Quarantine Table. 7 months later it is still set up and we have found that we really enjoy having a table that doesn't have to be cleared off whenever we eat.

I highly suspect that I will have grandkids one day that will refer to a gaming table as the Quarantine Table.

Not That Josh

people wouldn't comply anyway
Something Gov Cuomo repeats a lot when given credit for good news in New York (paraphrased): If people decide they are not going to listen the state's guidelines, I can't make them. They deserve the credit.

It really is up to the individual. When I realized that earlier this year, I didn't have much optimism that things could go well.

Not That Josh

I know other states are seeing higher per capita rates of infection, etc., but the raw numbers here in Texas are staggering. The current spike in El Paso has filled hospitals to capacity and led them to convert the El Paso Convention Center into a field hospital.
Am I remembering right that the governor asked the Army to help?

RetroCOTfan

Am I remembering right that the governor asked the Army to help?
Yeah, he asked the Army to allow the hospital at Fort Bliss to accept civilian non-COVID patients to help relieve the stress on hospitals. I think I also heard on the news this morning that the State has multiple airplanes that it intends to use to fly patients who are stable for transport to be treated at other facilities in the state where demand is lower, especially since we are seeing increased infection rates in rural areas that have far fewer beds.

Strangeite

Yeah, he asked the Army to allow the hospital at Fort Bliss to accept civilian non-COVID patients to help relieve the stress on hospitals. I think I also heard on the news this morning that the State has multiple airplanes that it intends to use to fly patients who are stable for transport to be treated at other facilities in the state where demand is lower, especially since we are seeing increased infection rates in rural areas that have far fewer beds.
Our Director of Public Health, Dr. Stack*, mentioned that another state asked if they could transfer some patients to our hospitals because they were full. Said state wasn't a bordering state, but two states away, but all of their immediate neighbors couldn't accept the patients.

*it is very 2020 that I know who the Director of Public Health is and I am positive my wife would ask for his autograph if we ran into him.

geek1997

I was pleasantly (?) surprised that our school district has a COVID dashboard, by age group, by school, and students/staff. I was looking at their website to see if they've posted an action plan re: how many active cases before a school is shut down. I could not find one. We've received three emails in the last two weeks about confirmed cases in my daughters' schools. Over the previous seven weeks, there had only been two emails.

Strangeite

I was pleasantly (?) surprised that our school district has a COVID dashboard, by age group, by school, and students/staff. I was looking at their website to see if they've posted an action plan re: how many active cases before a school is shut down. I could not find one. We've received three emails in the last two weeks about confirmed cases in my daughters' schools. Over the previous seven weeks, there had only been two emails.
I will give our governor and the school system a lot of credit. The state set up a dashboard so that you can track not just active infections, but students and staff quarantined, down to the school level. Also the guidelines on when to close are very clear.

RetroCOTfan

Our school district has a dashboard, as well, but it only tracks active infections. It does break it down to students/staff and per campus, though.