Coronavirus

lovett1979

BREAKING NEWS

Disneyland Paris is closing on October 30. Paris is having a spike and President Macron has issued a lockdown (including a curfew) for the whole city. They will re-evaluate on December 1 to see if Disney can re-open.

(I got this from Provost Park Pass on YouTube)

Strangeite

It is the right call. I have been watching the numbers in the EU and they are scary. Of course, most countries there are now immediately taking action to flatten the assent, but it's crazy how fast they have gone up in the last two weeks.

We have been dogging on the Dakotas a lot lately, but my father-in-law called me today when South Dakota's figures were announced. A 60% positivity rate. 60%! They now have a county there that is in quadruple digits for news cases per 100k. They finally started testing prisoners seriously which is the reason, but a prison is still a part of the community.

Nia

Germany, Ireland, France have lock down like restrictions but most of other countries in Europe are implementing either local or less severe restrictions. All are heading towards second partial or full lockdown. Large parts of UK too and calls to go nationwide. Last few days the numbers in Ireland are half what they were week ago, we are only week in level 5 lockdown and less than 3 weeks of level 3, so restrictions work to reduce the numbers fast. Many businesses won't survive but the hope is it will save lives.

There is acceptance that until there is vaccine there will be easing/upping restrictions and there isn't another way around this. We relaxed too early

Australia on other hand is out of second lockdown and it seems that it worked well

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I guess at this point they're just really leaning into the "herd immunity" fallacy.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.02.17 AM.png

Last edited:

Mrs Darling

I found this article really informative but also really accessible. (I'll be sending this one along to Mom ;) )

Anne

I felt like Oprah yesterday "YOU get a COVID test and YOU get a COVID test..." maybe I could make it more fun for people by hiding the swab under their chair in a nice gift bag?

Yesterday was my personal record for most tests in a day. It is crazy how many kids have it in our community right now, or who are on quarantine for exposure. Some schools/daycares the kid just gets out of quarantine for one exposure and a few days later is back in for a totally new one. Several schools started the year open but have closed again because they had so many classrooms in quarantine a large percentage of the school was home anyway.

What I also find interesting is the 1-2 people per day who need to be convinced that their child's symptoms might be COVID and a test is a good idea. I have literally had multiple people say to me "it's just a fever, sore throat, and cough, but no symptoms of COVID". Which makes me wonder what people think constitutes symptoms of COVID? Mostly it seems to be fear, uncertainty, and denial driving most of the refusals.

geek1997

WRT the denial train: our daughter's (virtual) violin teacher rescheduled her lesson a couple of weeks ago because she had a fever and didn't feel well. Two weeks later and she was apologizing for not sending notes in a timely fashion the last few weeks because she's having a hard time recovering from when she was ill. Mentioned how wiped out she is after lessons each day and that she'll lay down to take a short nap and ends up sleeping through the night. :oops:

DopeyRunr

North Dakota's chart reminds me of a story... In November 1999, HP spun off its medical device division and renamed it Agilent Technologies. I bought at the IPO, and watched, stunned, as they pivoted a few months laters to manufacturing fiber optic technology. It caused the stock price to soar. I foolishly held on to the stock through the ensuing dot com crash.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.02.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.02.12 PM.png

Alcachofa

I wonder if WDW is on borrowed time. So far, it has managed the virus really well. Or, at least, there have been no known outbreaks starting there. But that may have been in large part due to the lack of crowds. What will happen in Thanksgiving or, worse yet, Christmas?

DopeyRunr

WDW has done a much better job enforcing its rules than I expected. The measures WDW has implemented, which are incredibly similar to what is in place in our local school district for on-site students, seem to be working to prevent easy transmission on property. Ironically, there is a growing contingent of parents pointing to the lack of in-school transmission as reason to relax masking and distancing guidelines.

The biggest individual threats on a WDW trip remain the travel to and from, and if staying offsite, interaction with people outside the Disney bubble. WDW has no control over these factors, and between travel reluctance and reduced capacity, the economic hit from operating the parks in this manner has to be massive. The biggest threats to WDW are an extended duration of the pandemic (through 2021 and into 2022), a massive increase in virus spreading that leads to a combination of lockdowns and increased traveler reluctance, an unlikely situation where CMs relax enforcement of the safety rules, and the least likely threat of having to close the parks again.

RetroCOTfan

It also seems to me that tracing an outbreak of any size back to WDW would be incredibly difficult. For one thing, contract-tracing in this country is deplorable. But just as important is what @DopeyRunr mentioned - people don't just magically appear in the theme park. They have to go through an airport or gas stations and restaurants and hotels on their trip there and back home, so pinpointing WDW (or any theme park) as the source of any one person's infection seems highly unlikely.

Nia

Considering the influence and significance WDW has to the area, I wonder if there is outbreak would we hear about it.

Joeboo25

It almost makes you wish there were sporadic reports of positive tests (with proper containment), just to demonstrate that they aren't hiding anything. Disney's rules are good, and probably good enough, but I doubt they're perfect.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
It almost makes you wish there were sporadic reports of positive tests (with proper containment), just to demonstrate that they aren't hiding anything. Disney's rules are good, and probably good enough, but I doubt they're perfect.
I saw that a popular WDW social media duo just got back from WDW and one of them caught it. They speculate that it was transmitted in an airport or an Uber, not in WDW. Take that FWIW.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I saw that a popular WDW social media duo just got back from WDW and one of them caught it. They speculate that it was transmitted in an airport or an Uber, not in WDW. Take that FWIW.
How could they possibly know that?