Coronavirus

cocosmeme

“Good news/Bad news. Good news: I just got vaccinated! Bad news: I got it because I’m 75.”
- Steve Martin :RpS_laugh:
Ha-Ha - my husband got it also because he is 75. I haven't thought for a long time that I would ever be "too young" for anything again but I am only 72!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Ha-Ha - my husband got it also because he is 75. I haven't thought for a long time that I would ever be "too young" for anything again but I am only 72!
Not so fast. Everything’s relative. My dad’s 95, so when hears of an 85 year-old, he says, “That’s young!” :RpS_laugh:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Heard a new conspiracy today from a co-worker: “Adolf” Cuomo is denying vaccines if you’re 80+ to weed out the older population. He said his doctor told him that. Our society is so screwed.

ThemeParkCommando

Heard a new conspiracy today from a co-worker: “Adolf” Cuomo is denying vaccines if you’re 80+ to weed out the older population. He said his doctor told him that. Our society is so screwed.
Wow , I guess your co-worker is ignoring all the long vaccination lines full of old people? Oh, but the conspiracy then changes to: "They are giving placebos to the old people!" Sheesh.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I appreciate the notion that “all men are created equal” and all that, but what happens after, when minds are formed and poisoned? When and how does one lose their humanity?

DopeyRunr

Wow , I guess your co-worker is ignoring all the long vaccination lines full of old people? Oh, but the conspiracy then changes to: "They are giving placebos to the old people!" Sheesh.
He turned 80 last year, so he's aware. We don't have lines here in NYS, you have to register online and appointment availability is almost nonexistent which provides part of the basis for this lie to persist.

Anne

@Anne Where would I go to find out more about the cardiac screening for children post-COVID? My 17yo was asymptotic positive on 12/17, and started up intense pre-season soccer workouts 1/4 (supervised by the HS athletic department) plus his own cardio and weight training. I honestly had not considered this, but now am concerned about putting him in harms way.
I would recommend you talk with his Dr. There are several different sets of guidelines and it's very individualized what does or does not need to be checked. One fairly universal guideline is that everyone with COVID should not do sports or significant exercise until 2 weeks asymptomatic (so at least 2 weeks from diagnosis for those who are asymptomatic). That is the minimum and in some cases it needs to be longer. I'm surprised your school did not require a Dr. visit and a note clearing for return to sports, that is generally what is being requested here.

Anne

Sadly, I think the anti-vax circle is actually larger than the anti-mask one. I know people who are happy to wear masks, but very hesitant to get the vaccine. This includes medical professionals, SMH.
I'm having a hard time with this in the media. The issue has been primarily with medical assistants and nursing assistants in nursing homes and assisted care facilities refusing vaccines, especially being reported in NYS. The headlines feel misleading. "medical professionals" gives more validity to the position and I think makes people question "Am I missing something here, do doctors know something about safety that we're not being told?" But it's not the Doctors refusing for the most part, it's people who have a 6-12 month post HS diploma from a technical school.

Anne

How likely do people think there will be a Wine and Dine runDisney event this fall? Do you think that will be a situation where they will require runners to have a health passport with either vaccine, recent negative test, or proof of a positive COVID test in the last 90 days? Or do you think they are going to decide, why make people angry with the health passport thing (I think it's really unlikely they would do this for general park admission), we can rake in $ from virtual events until we can go back to our regular race plans in 2022?

DopeyRunr

I'm far less optimistic about W&D, primarily because the chances of mass vaccination in the US by then* are super slim, let alone global vaccination status. The challenges of staging a socially distanced race weekend are too great considering they can just offer the virtual races at a much higher profit margin.

*Given how far in advance people need to register, book flights, etc. "then" in my mind is really May/June rather than November

D

Deleted member 519

How likely do people think there will be a Wine and Dine runDisney event this fall? Do you think that will be a situation where they will require runners to have a health passport with either vaccine, recent negative test, or proof of a positive COVID test in the last 90 days? Or do you think they are going to decide, why make people angry with the health passport thing (I think it's really unlikely they would do this for general park admission), we can rake in $ from virtual events until we can go back to our regular race plans in 2022?
I don’t know, I’ve been wondering about running events too. I wouldn’t mind doing a virtual since I have a running buddy I’ve been running with for years, but without an actual race, it’s hard to find motivation to really increase our mileage above our “usual.”
Where we live, in the New Orleans area, there doesn’t appear to be any in-person races scheduled for the spring, although I believe coastal Mississippi hosted a marathon this fall, which is about 1-2 hours from me.
However, our major spring music festivals (French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest) have been scheduled for September and October (instead of April and May). That all feels really tentative too.
It’s so odd, things are so different state to state.
I know this is a rambling response. I’m sorry. I guess the short response is you never know what Florida is going to allow until it happens. And even if they are doing races in Florida, will WDW...

lovett1979

@Anne Thank you for clarifying the medical professionals wording. It makes a little more sense, but I'm still completely appalled that anyone is refusing the vaccine.

Regarding W&D (which I did virtually last year), I think there's a greater than 50% chance of it happening in person. Dr Fauci has said that he expects things to get closer to normal by the fall. Also, I believe runDisney views the annual race calendar as Fall-Fall, not year by year. For instance, the benefits of joining Club runDisney were to start with W&D weekend, I think. Requiring a Covid "passport" makes sense for participants and volunteers, and shouldn't be all that difficult, assuming vaccine production/distribution/implementation starts to get better organized under the new federal administration.

@DopeyRunr makes a good point, though, about the timing. It would suck to register, pay for travel, etc and then not be able to get the vaccine in time to participate. I wonder what would happen then?

DopeyRunr

@DopeyRunr makes a good point, though, about the timing. It would suck to register, pay for travel, etc and then not be able to get the vaccine in time to participate. I wonder what would happen then?
Knowing Disney, you'd be SOL. I think they'd really want to avoid that, though.

With vaccination of the 65+ population in NYS expected to take until late-Spring, I really don't see how the 18-34 group (pretty much the end of the line) is done with both doses plus the two-week maximum effective waiting period by the beginning of November, let alone before the race registration period closes.

I really, REALLY hope I'm wrong.

paxsarah

One fairly universal guideline is that everyone with COVID should not do sports or significant exercise until 2 weeks asymptomatic
This is helpful information. It's essentially what I've been doing since I was diagnosed with Covid based on what I've read (there was a good NYT article that urged caution), but I've felt like I'm giving myself too much leeway not to get back to exercising. Since my symptoms subsided I've been walking but not letting myself run. I'll also do an easy stationary spin on my bike but no intervals. I've already written off my March triathlon (which I was only registered for because of a deferral from last March), but it's hard to discard the "no pain no gain" mentality that pervades so much of endurance sports.

bnoble

he's right
I'm still completely appalled that anyone is refusing the vaccine.
In one sense I completely understand this. But perhaps we should not be surprised. There has been a lot of effort poured into discrediting governmental expertise and competence generally and vaccines specifically. Now think of all the energy some have put into minimizing the seriousness of C19, plus the implied messaging from many in power that no one should have to sacrifice even minimally for someone else---particularly if that someone else is already "unhealthy."

There is a sh*t ton of work for us all to do to correct even part of this.

If you haven't seen her yet, https://twitter.com/gradydoctor has some great individual stories about vaccination attitudes specifically within the Black community and her efforts to counteract them when she can. It is eye-opening.

Do you think that will be a situation where they will require runners to have a health passport with either vaccine, recent negative test, or proof of a positive COVID test in the last 90 days?
I suspect this is unlikely. Hawaii has had a devil of a time getting this implemented for their inbound quarantine program, and that's a State government with its own public health office. Disney is its own government---at least in Florida---but it may not be at that level yet.

Anne

Here's the best mainstream article I've seen about vaccination in the pediatric population. Summary "not any time soon".

This week our outpatient clinic has continued vaccinating "unaffiliated" 1A workers (dental workers, small clinics, essentially those who are not employees of institutions authorized to distribute the vaccine). Next week we add patients in the 65 and up category. They were originally going to start at 75 and up but then the push came to go faster. Patients will need an appointment and will be notified electronically through the electronic medical record system of eligibility. I'm nervous this part will not go smoothly, especially for elderly who are not tech savvy. But the phone lines don't have the capacity to handle vaccine appointments.

Administration is now offering an additional bonus on top of overtime for employees who take 80 hrs or more in vaccine clinic shifts (35 hrs or more of those 80 hrs on the weekend) over the next 3 months. We are very fortunate they have the resources to do this. Many health systems are struggling. I think federal mass vaccine clinics are going to be essential in under-served areas.

My mother-in-law (87) is in assisted living in a different city and it's a much more frustrating process for her. She has been trying unsuccessfully to get an appointment for days. While the vaccine is being administered at the nursing home wing right down the hall, assisted living residents have to make their own appointments at their Dr's office or a pharmacy.

RetroCOTfan

I think federal mass vaccine clinics are going to be essential in under-served areas.
Are there any conversations being had yet about what this looks like? Is it as "simple" as National Guard medics setting up in a parking lot and doing a drive-through mass clinic, or something else?

DopeyRunr

Are there any conversations being had yet about what this looks like? Is it as "simple" as National Guard medics setting up in a parking lot and doing a drive-through mass clinic, or something else?
At the very least, they need to track who is getting the shot, set up a future appointment/reminder system for dose 2, and handle the logistics of supply and staffing for people coming in for dose 2.