Coronavirus

Strangeite

Are there any conversations being had yet about what this looks like? Is it as "simple" as National Guard medics setting up in a parking lot and doing a drive-through mass clinic, or something else?
That is exactly what was done here for drivethru mass testing for several months. The National Guard handled setting up the infrastructure and handled all traffic.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
That is exactly what was done here for drivethru mass testing for several months. The National Guard handled setting up the infrastructure and handled all traffic.
Yeah for a one-shot solution I think it would be that simple. Maybe as we approach summer the J&J (I think) one shot vaccine will be approved and in mass production.

Not That Josh

If you haven't seen her yet, https://twitter.com/gradydoctor has some great individual stories about vaccination attitudes specifically within the Black community and her efforts to counteract them when she can. It is eye-opening.
When someone references Tuskegee as a reason for not trusting the government saying the vaccine is safe, it's hard for me to say they are being unreasonable. Hopefully doctors are able to help in these situations, but I understand the hesitation.

(distrust is not only based on Tuskegee, of course)

Strangeite

It has come up here a couple of times. Hell, its probably been at least five years (don't tell me if it was longer) that I offered free tickets to all EasyWDW members to the music festival my grandparent's started.

I gotta end it. There is no safe way I can put on the event, particularly knowing my audience, without someone dying because they were there.

47 years was a good run. And before someone asks, I have given it a lot of thought. If we cancel it two years in a row, it ain't gonna be able to be brought back. Especially when other producers have been salivating on our weekend for a long time.

12 years or so ago, my grandmother told me that I didn't want the responsibility. 6 years or so ago, I promised my grandfather that I would end it before it became something he wasn't proud of.

I won't lie, I am ashamed that I haven't figured out a way to keep it going. And f*** those a**h**** that keep emailing and calling trying to buy it. It ain't for sale.

Strangeite

And my heart is going out to all of the people that are needing to make similar calls. My decision was hard because of emotion, but there is way more people out there needing to make a similar call but their livelihood is dependent.

smwisc

And my heart is going out to all of the people that are needing to make similar calls. My decision was hard because of emotion, but there is way more people out there needing to make a similar call but their livelihood is dependent.
The fact that there are so, so many hard decisions and awful situations doesn't make any individual one less hard for the people facing it. I'm sorry you had to do that. You are carrying out your grandparents' legacy in the best way you can.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I’m so sorry to hear this. I know what a passion project this has been for your family and you. Is there no chance it might happen in 2022, even in some kind of revamped form?

moscow

This week our outpatient clinic has continued vaccinating "unaffiliated" 1A workers (dental workers, small clinics, essentially those who are not employees of institutions authorized to distribute the vaccine). Next week we add patients in the 65 and up category. They were originally going to start at 75 and up but then the push came to go faster. Patients will need an appointment and will be notified electronically through the electronic medical record system of eligibility. I'm nervous this part will not go smoothly, especially for elderly who are not tech savvy. But the phone lines don't have the capacity to handle vaccine appointments.
We got notified via email earlier this week that my husband and daughter are now eligible to get vaccinated. (They fall into 1A because of health issues). But the email notifying them of their eligibility was 2 pages long. I had to read it twice to determine what it said; it was that convoluted. And that does not even touch on the difficulty in getting the vaccine appointment scheduled. I have been trying for 3 days via the on-line scheduling system to get them an appointment with no luck. I will just continue to try every day until something opens up but who knows how long that will be.

I am frustrated by the process and I work on the computer every day. I cannot imagine how those who are less tech savvy will handle the process.

RetroCOTfan

So sorry, @Strangeite - I can't imagine how difficult this decision was for you. I hope you can find some peace and comfort in the fact that your decision protected others from possible physical harm, despite all the other effects it has. You have our respect and sympathy.

Anne

I'm so sorry you had to make this decision.

Anne

Good article on proposed mass vaccination plan.

[/URL]

I've been watching Johnson and Johnson closely, a single-dose effective vaccine would be huge for logistics of this type of distribution. I worry it just won't have the same efficacy since it doesn't use the new mRNA technology.

Good news, I happened on a last minute vaccine appointment for my MIL today on her county public health website after someone canceled. She has had her first dose, what a relief! The last week has felt a little like refreshing for Fast Pass.

I've so far been unsuccessful at getting my parents an appointment. Their doctor hasn't started vaccinating anyone yet. And their county health department is doing a weekly lottery for anyone 65 and up who registers. They are at least on the list for both options.

My 77 year old aunt is in yet another county. She has gotten an appointment through the health department (after an hour on hold on the phone) but not until March. She's hoping to get something sooner through her Dr but they also aren't vaccinating patients or taking appointments yet. It's crazy what people are having to do to get appointments and how much the process varies county to county.

smwisc

Good article on proposed mass vaccination plan.

[/URL]

I've been watching Johnson and Johnson closely, a single-dose effective vaccine would be huge for logistics of this type of distribution. I worry it just won't have the same efficacy since it doesn't use the new mRNA technology.

Good news, I happened on a last minute vaccine appointment for my MIL today on her county public health website after someone canceled. She has had her first dose, what a relief! The last week has felt a little like refreshing for Fast Pass.

I've so far been unsuccessful at getting my parents an appointment. Their doctor hasn't started vaccinating anyone yet. And their county health department is doing a weekly lottery for anyone 65 and up who registers. They are at least on the list for both options.

My 77 year old aunt is in yet another county. She has gotten an appointment through the health department (after an hour on hold on the phone) but not until March. She's hoping to get something sooner through her Dr but they also aren't vaccinating patients or taking appointments yet. It's crazy what people are having to do to get appointments and how much the process varies county to county.
Yes, I was just talking to my mom about this. In her county the public health department apparently did a one-day vaccine clinic, but there was no online sign up. You had to call, which took forever to get through at all, and then leave your name on a random person's voice-mail, which didn't say anything about the clinic. Then a while later (by calling back multiple times and eventually getting someone else) she found out that it was full, but since she left their names on the voice-mail they are allegedly on the waiting list for whenever they do another one. I assume it was FCFS, not a lottery, but who knows, they aren't saying.

She is not feeling very confident. I hope we get enough vaccines soon so that it is available both through the counties and through health care providers, without all of these inconsistencies and lack of clarity. My mom will persist, but it's unlikely my in-laws (same county) will get it until it's more straightforward.

Disneyfan

DD was vaccinated on Thursday. She has had no side affects. She has a congenital disease and we have been visiting our pediatric hospital since she was 3 days old. We received an email last week and immediately logged into her account and made an appointment electronically. The second appointment was automatically made when we checked out after she received the vaccine. The second appointment is at the exact time of the first appointment three weeks into the future. The first appointment could not have been any smoother. In fact, the whole process was extremely smooth. There is a great deal of guilt involved when your baby girl has a genetic disease. DH and I had no idea we were carriers of the disease until she was born, but I still feel guilty. The pandemic only added to the guilt and worry. The vaccine added some reassurance. I am so grateful that the hospital was so thoughtful in the vaccine administration planning.

Alcachofa

While it does look like there have definitely been some snafus with the vaccine rollout, I do wish people would have more patience and keep things in perspective. Let's not forget that as of last March, having a vaccine ready in one year was practically wishful thinking. Most figured it would be a year and a half, maybe even longer. So, again not to give excuses to anyone, but I think we should remember that pretty much anyone who gets vaccinated before March is gravy. We didn't even think we'd have a vaccine by then.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
While it does look like there have definitely been some snafus with the vaccine rollout, I do wish people would have more patience and keep things in perspective. Let's not forget that as of last March, having a vaccine ready in one year was practically wishful thinking. Most figured it would be a year and a half, maybe even longer. So, again not to give excuses to anyone, but I think we should remember that pretty much anyone who gets vaccinated before March is gravy. We didn't even think we'd have a vaccine by then.
I think it is/was the expectation based upon empty promises that has people frustrated.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
“Sorry, mom, I know you’ve spent several hours a day the last week trying to schedule an appointment for a vaccine and you still don’t have one, but ten months ago you wouldn’t have expected a vaccine at all!”