Coronavirus

Anne

While it does look like there have definitely been some snafus with the vaccine rollout, I do wish people would have more patience and keep things in perspective. Let's not forget that as of last March, having a vaccine ready in one year was practically wishful thinking. Most figured it would be a year and a half, maybe even longer. So, again not to give excuses to anyone, but I think we should remember that pretty much anyone who gets vaccinated before March is gravy. We didn't even think we'd have a vaccine by then.
For me It's not about the presence or absence of patience. It's about preventable deaths. We DO have a vaccine and we have doses sitting in a freezer while people die. That is not acceptable. Our federal government has the resources to get those doses into arms and they choose to leave distribution to already overwhelmed and underfunded healthcare workers, hospitals, and public health departments.

smwisc

While it does look like there have definitely been some snafus with the vaccine rollout, I do wish people would have more patience and keep things in perspective. Let's not forget that as of last March, having a vaccine ready in one year was practically wishful thinking. Most figured it would be a year and a half, maybe even longer. So, again not to give excuses to anyone, but I think we should remember that pretty much anyone who gets vaccinated before March is gravy. We didn't even think we'd have a vaccine by then.
Oh, I don't disagree, at least not entirely. As I said to my mom, there are a number of possible explanations for the frustrating situation she's in, and while incompetence is one of them, it's far from the only one. It's not reasonable to expect every little county public health department or individual healthcare system to stand up a large scale scheduling system practically overnight. Although I do still place quite a bit of blame on the lack of a coordinated federal response, which then in turn impedes states' efforts to have a coordinated state-level response, which then leaves locals (who are least equipped) holding the bag. I'm hopeful that both federal and state level coordination will improve very soon and take some of the pressure off the locals.

SphericalDuck

Are there any conversations being had yet about what this looks like? Is it as "simple" as National Guard medics setting up in a parking lot and doing a drive-through mass clinic, or something else?
I was vaccinated Saturday and this is exactly what happened. Our county health department set up tents at the fairgrounds and were assisted by the national guard. We drove up and were given paperwork and directed to a queue. We filled out the paperwork while waiting in the car, then drove up to a tent for our shots. Got the shots and our vaccine cards, then drove over to a waiting area and sat for 15 minutes, then headed home. The process was very smooth. I believe they administered about 1000 shots each day for four days.

Not That Josh

I keep finding myself spending time reading about variants and excess mortality (excess deaths). Not the two most positive topics, but two topics which continue to interest me.

RetroCOTfan

For the life of me, I can't understand why excess deaths have not been more widely reported. It seems that a month or so ago the news agencies were eager to report when Russia re-configured their COVID death count to factor in excess deaths, causing Russia's totals to nearly triple. But somehow the US excess-deaths total hasn't (as far as I've seen) been given any attention. I guess on some level I get it - it's depressing to realize not only is this bad, it's worse than we thought. But I still think we're doing a disservice to ourselves and those we've lost by ignoring this.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Excess deaths is valid but it's also kind of "soft," in that you're comparing reality vs. a projection/estimate, and if there's even agreement that the number is legit (and there's not even agreement that masks are useful so yeah) there's no way to know how much of a role COVID played in the number.

Look, if 3,000-4,000 daily deaths we KNOW are from COVID isn't enough to get people's attention, adding more to that total isn't going to change anyone's minds.

bnoble

he's right
It's not going to change anyone's mind, and they aren't even necessarily due to C19 directly, but I still think it is interesting. How many people are putting off health care until things "get back to normal"? How much of that has resulted in much more serious problems?

As a simple (and mostly trivial) example, I was supposed to get a bit of dental work done in early 2020. I haven't done it yet, and haven't been to my dentist and do not plan to until I am vaccinated. Will that cause bigger problems later? Maybe. Am I being foolish? Maybe. But that's what I am doing.

I bet there is a lot of that going around in ways we don't even imagine.

RetroCOTfan

On the other hand, flu cases are way down. BECAUSE PEOPLE AREN'T INFECTING EACH OTHER.
#science
My daughter works for an ophthalmologist. Masks are, of course, required for the patient to be seen/treated. They had a woman come in last week who complained about wearing a mask, and as part of her rant dropped this gem: "Y'all know that the FLU has completely disappeared, right? Like, it just doesn't exist any more. You never hear the media talk about it now. Hmm...I wonder why that is??"

Yeah lady, I wonder... :rolleyes:

lovett1979

Well, I just cancelled my February reservation. I had booked it back in November because the resort discounts were really good and it would have been a Birthday/10k reward/Festival of the Arts trip. At one point, 1-way flights from NYC were only $21! But even the cheapest Disney trip is not worth dying of Covid, and there's no way I'll be vaccinated any time soon (I had been hoping for a miracle there) so I had to cancel. Oh well. Maybe I'll get the shots by the Spring and check out Flower & Garden for the first time?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Everyone who received the smallpox vaccine in the 1700s has died. It really makes you think.

I can't take credit for that. I saw it one day when I needed the laugh. :)
Funny!

But on the other hand, smallpox is pretty much totally wiped out.

DopeyRunr

Yeah my wife received the smallpox vaccine (and is very much alive), but I didn't (and I, like her, am alive) so I'm not sure this joke about the vaccine hits for me...

TiggerGirl

I mean, yeah, we're wearing masks, we're washing our hands and we're staying home.......but if you think deaths unrelated to Covid aren't being called Covid deaths you are naïve.

ETA: OMG I am SO sorry - I had this open today as I'm eating lunch at my desk again today - which I don't do often - and a coworkers said oh did you see what i did? they added to my post because I had left my screen open and they thought it would be funny. i let them know that it wasn't funny to call a community i've been a part of for the better part of 12 years i think now, stupid.

i honestly didn't even know it posted at all because when I came back I just closed the window and went back to work.

Again - I am SO very sorry and I now know that I have to lock my screen when I step away.

Last edited:

bnoble

he's right
but if you think deaths unrelated to Covid aren't being called Covid deaths you are naïve. ....and actually you might just be stupid.
I'm reminded of something attributed (possibly apocryphally) to Keanu Reeves:

I'm at the stage in my life where I keep myself out of arguments. Even if you tell me 1+1=5, you are absolutely correct, enjoy.
In that spirit, welcome to my ignore list.

DopeyRunr

Yikes. I mean, I guess if you're a COVID-denier, you're probably not concerned with dropping into a 67-page topic and calling just about everyone in the thread stupid.

Last edited:

Micah008

Staff member
Friendly reminder to everyone:
This is the only thread that I receive complaints about. I'm not big on censorship so long as people are reasonably respectful.

... Just be nice ...
I've been staying out of this thread, and sticking to deleting the spam we get from Russia, India, China, and other random countries... but let's try to all be nice.