Coronavirus

Anne

Anne - I was talking with one of my DD's doctors the other day (we do our appointments via zoom now) and she mentioned that the J&J vaccine seemed to have a better protection against the new(er) variants of the virus. Do you know if this is true?

I haven't heard that, but I am certainly not reading as much as I was previously so there very well could be some data on this now.

Nia

I was in long covid clinic and we had visualization class, and it went like that

Imagine your sanctuary place, safe happy place

my imagination - I am on main street USA

Imagine it quiet, nobody can come in unless you let them

my imagination - ahhhh, people, happy people having fun

You get the picture.

I have time, I have place nobody can enter unless I let them in, I don't want to imagine beaches and mountains - we have had that. I don't need that, I am fed up from it. The never ending lockdown, lack of live music, festivals, theater, even something like going to a gallery - I miss that so much. I miss having a happiness fix, and even the planning for big vacation is fun - we can't do that now. I miss WDW, it's seems like so out of reach right now. At times, it all feel dull and joyless.

Nia

I think vaccinating US only, or any country won't save that country. While there are places where things are out of control like India and Brazil and South Africa new mutations will continue to appear and present risk to everyone else.

In Europe Pfizer vaccine is viewed as the workhorse as it was able to provide more than committed, and provides the highest protection. Would love to be able to get it

AZ and J&J are viewed differently in different countries but in some, where people had the option to take it or not, being aware of the blood clots risk many people are opting to get it. If you live in country with 5 million people and 100 death cases from covid daily, and the blood risk clot is 1 in 7 million risk. But if you are under 30 and there is low risk from covid, do you vaccinate yourself with something that can give you brain clot? I

I am glad I don't have to make decision on it yet. Hope I can get Pfizer or Moderna, not so sure about AZ and J&J

Last edited:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the good news is Disney World isn't going anywhere. And ideally things will only improve. But under 30 is where the risk currently lies. It made sense to vaccinate the old first, but I wonder if it wouldn't have made more sense to vaccinate based on activity level. Like my parents are on the older side, and for them getting it would be likely be worse than it would be for me, but they don't do much, and would be unlikely to infect a lot of others, whereas someone who is making your pizzas at Domino's and is going to their job pretty much regardless of how they feel is a lot more likely to spread the disease to a lot more people, but would also be more likely to be younger and have more difficulty getting access to the vaccine.

But fingers crossed. Florida somehow seems to be doing a decent job of getting the shots out there. I'm not sure who in the government is competent, but we appreciate it.

Anne

This is a really good article which speaks to some of the recent discussion here. It touches on variants and what efficacy means. A bit long but if you have the time it's a worthwhile read.

Reactions: Nia

Nia

Thanks Anne, that's very informative. I will spread the word to other forum I participate in!

sprout

Your local farmer could always use your uncomfortable N95 masks. Grain dust is no joke. When this all started, it was kind of weird to actually have something on hand that everyone was looking for. Now the toilet paper, that was a whole other story...

Strangeite

Since reading this article I've seen more and more epidemiologists on social media whom have been very cautious in their advice, give support to the idea. Basically, if you are in a group, wear it. If you are talking to someone for more than a moment, wear it.

I spend a fair amount of time outside inspecting and measuring properties. I've always worn my mask when doing so unless it was a farm and only cows were around. However, in the last couple of weeks I've taken to just wearing it around my neck outside when nobody is near. Still wearing it when walking down the sidewalk but I think that is more from sending a social signal than from a safety perspective.

It was odd that we allowed bars to reopen before we allowed playgrounds. I get the political reasons but the dissonance was notable.

moscow

Since reading this article I've seen more and more epidemiologists on social media whom have been very cautious in their advice, give support to the idea. Basically, if you are in a group, wear it. If you are talking to someone for more than a moment, wear it.

I spend a fair amount of time outside inspecting and measuring properties. I've always worn my mask when doing so unless it was a farm and only cows were around. However, in the last couple of weeks I've taken to just wearing it around my neck outside when nobody is near. Still wearing it when walking down the sidewalk but I think that is more from sending a social signal than from a safety perspective.

We still wear ours when out of the house with one exception. My DH and I go walking every day and we do not wear them when it is just us on the path. It is a little used path and we rarely see others. When we do, we pull our masks over our mouth and nose but after we pass them, we return the masks to around our necks.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Still wearing it when walking down the sidewalk but I think that is more from sending a social signal than from a safety perspective.

When I'm running around my neighborhood (no sidewalks, just running in very residential suburban streets) I don't bring a mask and when I encounter others out running/walking we just stay on opposite sides of the street. But when I run into town on sidewalks I keep a mask around my neck, pulling it up when I'm approaching someone, then lowering it when I'm farther away.

I'm not sure wearing a mask outdoors 20+ feet away from anyone provides any meaningful benefit in terms of transmission to yourself or others.

pixarprincess

We got our second doses last week and are on our way to antibodies. I will say my husband had mild symptoms but this one hit me good (moderna). Chills, shaking, fever, fatigue aches, came on about 16 hours after the shot. It was about 36 hours from onset of symptoms to feeling normal again. Still worth it.

On the mask front, we wear them everywhere still, it's California and everyone for the most part still masks up to go out, we probably will for a while. We too only don't when walking in our neighborhood, but will cross the street to avoid others if needed. I can't wait to only need them if I am feeling ill to protect others though. Working a physical job where you are moving and sweating in one is really not very pleasant, but were just happy to be working again at all so will tough it out.

Nia

Josh, the Irish government considered this option and decided against for now. It's valid point, we just don't have enough vaccines right now and they have to focus on essential, high risk and over 60s for now.

pixarprincess

Jury duty during COVID, this is an incredibly interesting social experience. You'd think over a year into this people could reasonably do the "dont sit in chairs with tags on them, check in on your phone and stand distanced" but you'd be wrong dear reader, so so wrong. Praying to get out of here with a single day service.

3dadknight

Jury duty during COVID, this is an incredibly interesting social experience. You'd think over a year into this people could reasonably do the "dont sit in chairs with tags on them, check in on your phone and stand distanced" but you'd be wrong dear reader, so so wrong. Praying to get out of here with a single day service.
I might see if it is handled any better in my area tomorrow. I have to check the court’s website this afternoon to see if I have to report for duty in the morning. I’m very interested in how it’s handled for work reasons, but I’d much rather spend the day working at home as I have been for over a year now.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I might see if it is handled any better in my area tomorrow. I have to check the court’s website this afternoon to see if I have to report for duty in the morning. I’m very interested in how it’s handled for work reasons, but I’d much rather spend the day working at home as I have been for over a year now.

The jury duty room in my county is small with wall to wall folding chairs. I don't know how they will manage once trials resume.

puffyjj

The jury duty room in my county is small with wall to wall folding chairs. I don't know how they will manage once trials resume.
Locally, the standard operating procedure is to have the jury use the courtroom as the jury room and the judge and attorneys vacate during breaks and for deliberations.

pixarprincess

So I didn't find out how selection worked as I never made it past the Jury assembly room. What I can tell you is I had service at the Santa Ana main courthouse for Orange County. This is the courthouse that tries, capitol cases, felonies, and most family court issues, civil cases etc. They had most of us fill out hardship forms and reviewed them before sending anyone upstairs. I am assuming this is how I ended up not getting selected and ultimately being sent home around lunch time. In the assembly room they had marked off many seats and were using the adjacent cafeteria area as overflow seating. They also see less cases a day and the courthouse is currently closed on Fridays. We have resumed full operations here though. Based on what rooms they sent people to in the courthouse yesterday they assembled a grand Jury in main court, so likely a felony case, started a civil trial and began a family court case with a jury. After that they dismissed us. Frustrating thing had I needed to stay were I brought my own lunch as its not the most ideal part of town, you park far and walk and have to get validated and the interior cafeteria is not great, and then during orientation they told us we would not be allowed to stay in the jury room during lunch, it would be closed for cleaning. Fortunately, it was a non issue, but I wish they had let us know in advance. There was a lot of lining up not on the social distance markers, masks below noses, and people sitting in seats they shouldnt be (its theatre seating in the front so not like they can just remove chairs). Overall they are doing what they can to keep people safe while trying to get back to actually doing business. Probably the most interesting parts are that you speak to someone on a computer in front of the building if you are there to discuss something with the court prior to going inside the building to prevent those who don't really need to go inside from doing so. Only people automatically allowed in are people with ID for the building and jurors with your summons, and secondly I found it very interesting and I hope they keep this, you can now check in for jury duty on your phone or electronic device when you log on to the wifi so you don't have to go to the counter.

3dadknight

I haven’t made past the jury pool room yet. There are only about 50 of us and 30 got called upstairs a couple of hours ago. I’m happy to see good social distancing - at least 3 chairs between each person. Mask wearing hasn’t been an issue. Everyone seems to be wearing them properly. One thing that hasn’t changed is the boredom in waiting and the uncertainty of how long.

pixarprincess

I haven’t made past the jury pool room yet. There are only about 50 of us and 30 got called upstairs a couple of hours ago. I’m happy to see good social distancing - at least 3 chairs between each person. Mask wearing hasn’t been an issue. Everyone seems to be wearing them properly. One thing that hasn’t changed is the boredom in waiting and the uncertainty of how long.

I feel you on the boredom. You'd think they could improve this process somehow so the waiting both was not quite so much or so profoundly long.