Coronavirus

Not That Josh

With the recent news that some people are not coming back for their second shot, I looked for efficacy rates for one shot. The numbers I found were higher than I expected, especially Pfizer.

Of course, people should get the second shot for the added protection, but these people are not likely to be the problem with spread in the fall/winter the way the "never getting the vaccine people" are.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
With the recent news that some people are not coming back for their second shot, I looked for efficacy rates for one shot. The numbers I found were higher than I expected, especially Pfizer.

Of course, people should get the second shot for the added protection, but these people are not likely to be the problem with spread in the fall/winter the way the "never getting the vaccine people" are.
I haven’t seen effectiveness 6 months after only one shot though. It’s unclear if/how that decline will be faster, requiring a booster sooner. But I thing generally you’re right. It’s just dumb to me, like why? It’s like when Homer got LASIK but refused the post-surgical eye drops.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag

Good start!

The F.D.A. authorizes the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children 12 to 15.

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday authorized use of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine for 12- to 15-year-olds in the United States, a crucial step in the nation’s steady recovery from the pandemic and a boon to tens of millions of American families eager for a return to normalcy.
The authorization caps weeks of anticipation among parents, who have been grappling with how to conduct their lives when only the adults in a household are immunized. It removes an obstacle to school reopenings by reducing the threat of transmission in classrooms, and affords millions of adolescents the opportunity to attend summer camps, sleepovers and get-togethers with friends.
“This is great news,” said Dr. Kristin Oliver, a pediatrician and vaccine expert at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. “It feels like we’ve been waiting a long time to start protecting children in this age group.” The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is already available to anyone over 16.
The F.D.A.’s go-ahead is not the final hurdle. An advisory committee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to meet shortly to review the data and make recommendations for the vaccine’s use in 12- to 15-year-olds.
If the committee endorses the vaccine for that age group, as expected, immunizations in theory could begin immediately. Clinical trials have shown that these children may safely receive the dose already available for adults.

josh

Administrator
Staff member

I admit I did not read this 1000% but it seems to be missing how many of the variants got past those who are through with complete immunization and if the 67 death number is also starting from April 27th.

Somehow Florida still stands. I couldn't tell you how. I legitimately thought COVID was going to take some of the bloggers out, but as far as I know nobody was hit with it. Or if they were, they kept it quiet enough. And somewhat surprisingly, Florida is pretty close to the national average on immunization. I think it's around 30% both shows and 45% for the first. I would guess a lot of that is in the Orlando area.

It's a little goofy how I left the CVS ecstatic to be done with the second shot and there are whatever percentage of people who wouldn't even go in for a free shot if they could. The kind of funny thing is I wonder what amount of money would cause someone who doesn't want to be vaccinated to get vaccinated. Or if you got two paid days off work after, how many people are ready to risk the microchip and the incredibly unlikely chance that something "bad" will happen down the line from it. At least in Florida, I think most people would get vaccinated for a 24-pack of Hard Seltzers on the way out. It may come to that. But I hope it's retroactive or I can at least get a couple cans or something.

bnoble

he's right
At least in Florida, I think most people would get vaccinated for a 24-pack of Hard Seltzers on the way out. It may come to that.
A case is a big ask. In Jersey, it was one beer---granted, a microbrew, but still.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
A can might have convinced Jersey. Florida is Seltzer and I'd be surprised if it wasn't just worth giving out 24 than trying to haggle over whether 12 is enough.

To get vaccinated at Publix to start, you had to log in early to get an appointment. I don't want to die, but I'm also not getting up at 7am not to, which is when signups began. As I sit here now, I could get an appointment for later today. In just over an hour, actually. But at the beginning, there was a list of counties with a percentage of availability. And you would scroll down to yours to see how things were looking. By the time I got up on the first day, everything around here was completely taken. Not surprising and I had already made my CVS appointment anyway. But there was a county with "literally" 1% of appointments taken. And I don't think it was because they had a lot of shots. So if you're driving into Florida, you may want to go a little further in before stopping for food/gas.

Micah008

Staff member
It looks like the Ohio governor is thinking along these lines too with a weekly $1 million dollar lottery for anyone who gets the vaccine.
I heard that too from some family in Ohio. I sure hope they allow all the people who are already vaccinated to also join the lottery... or they will create a new problem of people waiting for a 'better offer' before getting it.

geek1997

generally we are getting to a supply is greater than demand point. So I'd think you will be fine.
No issues yesterday (which is both good and bad, I guess). CDC recommendations at 3ish, first shot appointment at 4:30 at the CVS 5 minutes away. Our 13yo is officially on the way to immunity! So relieved she'll have some level of protection for her required mini band camp in June and she's excited for the possibility of being able to see her best friend after a year+ of separation.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Great! It's certainly reassuring until our brains start coming out of our ears or the microchip causes us to invest our life savings in dogecoin. But that has to be a year away at least.