Coronavirus

Anne

I still wear my mask out in public with my daughter because she'll be wearing one (whether mandated or not) until she is vaccinated. Hubs and I are both vaccinated since March and I feel more comfortable having it on inside / in crowds. I'm worried that if I don't have my mask on people will think i'm an anti-mask / anti-vaccine person... but when I am wearing it, I'm worried people think I'm not vaccinated. Its tough out there.
The funny thing is my assumption is most adults in masks have been vaccinated, especially those with young kids wearing masks.

Not That Josh

Was that thinking done by someone who has never seen people before?

I didn't remember when I posted yesterday, but I remember one place I heard it now. It was a conversation between two comedians and one was saying how appreciative drive-in crowds were when they first starting doing those shows some time last year.

The other comedian commented that hopefully that would continue with indoor shows, then they moved on to something else and didn't follow up. You would think comedians would know how terrible crowds are, they see the worst of people more than the average person.

I don't remember the other places I heard this unrealistic hope.

Not That Josh

I think I'm going to wish I was living in Japan (or any country where wearing masks has been common for years) this fall/winter. Wearing masks to reduce cold and flu season's impact sounds nice.

Strangeite

Edit: DEL E:\this_post\previous.txt

Sorry, I was feeling raw and it wasn't contributing to the discussion.

Attachments

• 3590-049.jpg
    3590-049.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Nia

I finally got a date for my first vaccination - Pfizer, next week, I am soooo happy! It would mean I will be fully vaccinated and hopefully able to return to gym and other activities after. I am fully back to normal after my long haul covid and it is just so nice to anticipate little bit of normal life!

Hope everyone is keeping well. I bet most of you are long vaccinated, we are bit slower here.

smwisc

I'm worried that if I don't have my mask on people will think i'm an anti-mask / anti-vaccine person... but when I am wearing it, I'm worried people think I'm not vaccinated. Its tough out there.
Exactly! Dropping the mask requirements puts us in this really weird space. If I go somewhere and most people are wearing a mask, I'm fine doing so. And I wish that were the case to provide better protection for children and others who can't be vaccinated. But if the percentage masked is 10% or 25% or 50%, my wearing a mask isn't going to make anyone more comfortable who isn't already. And there's no way to know - personally I'm more likely to assume that the unvaccinated are unmasked and the masked are vaccinated (plus a good number of vaccinated/unmasked), which makes the mask wearing kind of pointless when I know that I am, in fact, vaccinated.

In other words, collective versus individual decision making. Which is basically what we've sucked at all along.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The funny thing is I sort of want to wear the mask anyway because people are gross. I don't care to get into the science of it all because it's a psychological thing as it is. But I also don't want to be a symbol that I'm not vaccinated. You know(?) most of people who aren't will say they are so they don't have to wear the mask. It will be nice to pull it down at my convenience but even then I'm sure I'll get side-eyed. I guess we'll see how things look over the next couple of weeks. I just hope there isn't variant (insert Greek letter 72) that just eviscerates us and sends Pfizer and Co. back to the lab.

I'd plug the ones I wear again: https://suayla.com/products/surgical-wrap-mask-the-one-you-heard-about

Having it on just isn't that big of an inconvenience though I'm not incessantly trying to keep masks on the faces of my three degenerate children either.

smwisc

Having it on just isn't that big of an inconvenience though I'm not incessantly trying to keep masks on the faces of my three degenerate children either.

I thought getting kids to wear masks would be a disaster, but my experience and that of most parents I know has been that kids have adapted to it much better than adults (elementary aged and up, anyway). It's only a big deal to them if the adults make it so.

bnoble

he's right
We are in Park City, UT this week, and The Pandemic Is Over. To be fair, we are not masking up either, because at this point the implicit social pressure not to outweighs any reasons we have for wearing one. Heck, we are even eating indoors and even that feels a lot less strange than it used to, though we haven’t been anywhere truly busy yet.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
We are in Park City, UT this week, and The Pandemic Is Over. To be fair, we are not masking up either, because at this point the implicit social pressure not to outweighs any reasons we have for wearing one. Heck, we are even eating indoors and even that feels a lot less strange than it used to, though we haven’t been anywhere truly busy yet.
TLDR; I got over the strangeness much faster than I expected to.

Everyone's emotional and psychological reaction to feeling comfortable or not is valid, and here's my experience from earlier this month. Our School of Business months ago scheduled its annual golf tournament for early June. It was to be the first in-person event affiliated with our College since the pandemic began. Having it off-site, at a golf course about an hour from campus, reassured campus leaders that if anything "went wrong" they would not be responsible.

By late May, as you know, restrictions were already easing, especially here in NYS which had done a very good job vaccinating people by that point, so there was little concern about risk at that point. It was more a curiosity: how would alumni respond to attending an event in person?

We had record attendance (oversold the tournament) and the course had zero masking requirements indoors or out. We had a regular self-serve banquet after the tournament at tables for 10 just like always. The initial shock of interacting with people without masks lasted about five minutes for most, and before dinner was over it didn't feel "strange" to see people without a mask or to not be wearing a mask ourselves.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Question. With the possibility (likelihood?) that the delta variant will spread, primarily amongst the un-vaccinated, might we see a re-implementation of masks and distancing in the parks?