Coronavirus

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Question. With the possibility (likelihood?) that the delta variant will spread, primarily amongst the un-vaccinated, might we see a re-implementation of masks and distancing in the parks?
Magic 8 Ball time.

My guess is no. They're already taking down plexiglass and removing signage and markers. DeSantis won't even let cruise ships confirm vaccination status, I doubt he'll bring back any state-wide restrictions, and without that, I don't see where WDW is going to want to voluntarily reduce revenue.

Strangeite

My 11 year old is signed up for a vaccine trial (Moderna), so our fingers are crossed that he gets in.

We have asked what happens if Pfizer is granted emergency use authorization during the study. From what I understand the Pfizer study is further along and will most likely be authorized first. I'd hate for him to get the first shot in the trial (with no idea if it is a placebo or not) and then be unable to get the then authorized shot.

Nia

Anne is there any change in how Delta is viewed? Looking at Israel and trying not to be too concerned about what is happening there

Anne

Anne is there any change in how Delta is viewed? Looking at Israel and trying not to be too concerned about what is happening there
I have not gotten around to reading the specific data from Israel on breakthrough delta infections. Our health department recommendations are still that the vaccines have good coverage for delta and that if you do have a breakthrough infection and are vaccinated the risk of severe disease or hospitalization is low.

On a personal level, even though CDC guidelines in the US are giving the ok for vaccinated individuals to be indoors without masks, I will continue to mask because my children are unvaccinated. If everyone I had regular contact with was vaccinated I might be less cautious. Locally we don't have high rates of delta, yet, but it's probably coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nia

bnoble

he's right
From what I've read, what's happening in Isreal is expected and a sign that the vaccine is doing its job for the most part. The vast majority of the population is vaccinated, so any cases are likely to be among them. The overall daily new case rate is still very low: about 1 in 32,000. The case rate in the US (and most other countries) is still higher.

The point of the vaccine isn't to provide perfect protection, and even a high rate of community vaccination won't "completely eliminate" the disease. And the same is true for masking. The point of all of these interventions is to keep R0 (the average number of people that someone who is infected will further infect) well below 1.0 so that flare-ups tend to die out rather than exponentially increase. Secondarily, the vaccine also will hopefully attenuate any infection that does manage to take hold, limiting the damage it can do to the infected person.

From where I sit, the most important thing we can do is to continue to encourage all of our friends and family to get vaccinated. If we happen to live in localities with some combination of low vaccination uptake and sustained spread, that's the time to encourage (and practice) additional mitigation measures IMO.

Nia

Everyone I know is either vaccinated, waiting vaccination to be available or waiting alternative to AstraZeneca as they are not popular choice. So lucky we all got offered Pfizer and are vaccinated. My son is teen, he won't be any time soon.

Apparently 4th wave is hitting UK and usually when it happens there it's on our way here too and yes it looks hospitalization rates are not going up.

In Ireland we have very high rate of people wanting to be vaccinated but this is not same around Europe. Some countries are selling their supply as their population do not want them. Insanity

DopeyRunr

NYC's seven-day average is 0.7%. It's been six months since the positivity rate was over 5% in NYC. There is essentially no difference in access to the vaccine between NYC and Orange County, FL. It blows my mind that the antimaskers and antivaxxers who prolonged this pandemic in the first place are actively breeding variants that could put us all at risk again.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
This guy really cuts straight to the point. :ROFLMAO:
True that, but they’re not only putting themselves at risk, but they’re also putting the vaccinated at risk, who might still contract the virus. I’m not good with, “I’ll just get a lesser case and probably not have to be hospitalized.“

Art Vandelay

that's a shame

NYC's seven-day average is 0.7%. It's been six months since the positivity rate was over 5% in NYC. There is essentially no difference in access to the vaccine between NYC and Orange County, FL. It blows my mind that the antimaskers and antivaxxers who prolonged this pandemic in the first place are actively breeding variants that could put us all at risk again.

They're pawns, being used by the political and religious leaders they look up to. And they believe what they read on FB over science. I don't think there's a fix for this.

George

They're pawns, being used by the political and religious leaders they look up to. And they believe what they read on FB over science. I don't think there's a fix for this.
Agreed. The fix is a more highly educated populace, but the system is rigged to provide the bare minimum; just look at the functional illiteracy on comment threads anywhere in the Internet. Smarter people threaten the status quo.

DopeyRunr

Looking at those rates in Orange County would make me very concerned about a WDW trip right now, so then I looked at rates in Sarasota and Pinellas County where we'll be visiting my mother later this month, and they're about the same, so I closed that tab on my browser.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Looking at those rates in Orange County would make me very concerned about a WDW trip right now, so then I looked at rates in Sarasota and Pinellas County where we'll be visiting my mother later this month, and they're about the same, so I closed that tab on my browser.

I am. I've gone from, "Finally, I can get out of the house" to, "Oh crap*, is it too late to cancel?"

*edited for family friendliness

So it's back to taking precautions. We're fully vaxxed, but I plan to wear a mask. The dinners we planned outside of WDW will be take out, not eat in.

Mrs Darling

I am. I've gone from, "Finally, I can get out of the house" to, "Oh crap*, is it too late to cancel?"

*edited for family friendliness

So it's back to taking precautions. We're fully vaxxed, but I plan to wear a mask. The dinners we planned outside of WDW will be take out, not eat in.
That seems like a reasonable approach for your situation.
What blows my mind is how quickly Disney not just dropped restrictions, but tore down the safety infrastructure (plexiglass etc.) that would’ve protected people for the next few months until we know what the longer term reality is. Whose advice we’re they basing those decisions on? Marketing & financial analysts would be my bet. We were briefly considering a girls runDisney trip but I’m questioning Disney Worlds safety in the longer term given their location and disregard for basic safety.

George

That seems like a reasonable approach for your situation.
What blows my mind is how quickly Disney not just dropped restrictions, but tore down the safety infrastructure (plexiglass etc.) that would’ve protected people for the next few months until we know what the longer term reality is. Whose advice we’re they basing those decisions on? Marketing & financial analysts would be my bet. We were briefly considering a girls runDisney trip but I’m questioning Disney Worlds safety in the longer term given their location and disregard for basic safety.
Sounds like they just took the "every man for himself" attitude: get vaccinated for your safety, we're not waiting (read: losing any more money) because some of you* are idiots. I don't begrudge them any of that.

*not those who can't for whatever reason get vaccinated

bnoble

he's right
Whose advice we’re they basing those decisions on?
Starbucks and Trader Joe's were among the first companies to require mitigation strategies for customers and staff. They were also among the first to remove them. Both cater to middle- to upper-middle class customers with significant cultural (and financial) capital and societal privilege. None of those decisions were made out of some careful analysis of risks, public health, etc. They were made based on what leadership thought would maximize shareholder value.

Guess what Disney's market looks like? Guess how Disney makes decisions?

In short, my take is: the people who might be inclined to spend their money at Disney decided they were done, by and large. And therefore so was Disney.

Micah008

Staff member
We are also second guessing our mid-August trip, due to the rise in cases down there, and due to Disney rolling back everything faster than most expected. I would feel better going if at least some of the precautions were in place, and not just on the 'honor system'.

If we do go we are still planning primarily outdoor dining, masks while indoors, and more resort time then normal... at least trying to a few things we can control, and knowing we have no control over others.

Unfortunately it looks like my 10 year old won't be able to be vaccinated by then, and he is our primary concern at this point for the trip (both there and at home)... he could still get sick, and even though the rest of us are vaccinated we could get a mild case and pass it on to him. We also have to worry about my Dad when we come home (who was advised by his physician not to get the vaccine due to his past medical history) but its easy just to simply not visit him for a few weeks.

If we do cancel, or shorten the trip, I would have to find a different use for those DVC points... and have to give up a BLT Standard View and an AKV Value 1BR.