Coronavirus

Nia

I absolutely don't. He did not cover kids under 16, or speak about what is the likelihood of this age group getting seriously ill if they get Covid. It would have been more complete in my opinion if he did. I am interested in what he have to say, so please do keep sharing such information as it is helpful

I did not make up the AZ risk assessment by the way. It was mostly not recommended for people under 50, unless they are not willing to wait for alternative. I will not attempt to come up with such advise. It is based on the likelihood of serious illness, not of just getting covid

My hesitation for under 16 is based also on official advise or lack of it. For example UK assessment is wait and review more data, unless the child is at risk category. That's why I am trying to read & research as much as I can.

Last edited:

Strangeite

That is not the advice health officials here in the US are giving, which is why I didn't understand your concern. However based on that article, I can see where your hesitancy is coming from.

Reactions: Nia

Strangeite

We are not anti vaccine at all, and I did come here hoping to find reassurance and read good news about the vaccination to this age group in US.

You are doing your job as a mother and watching out for the best interest of your son. I suspect that vaccine minister will adjust guidance soon based solely on the results here in the US. We have been vaccinating 12-15 year old for a few months now with Pfizer. I believe it is almost 25% of that population is now vaccinated, so a very large sample size and I have heard of no statistically significant side effects.

For what it is worth, my 14 year old daughter was vaccinated the very first day she qualified and we will vaccinate my 11 year old son the first day he is able.

Reactions: Nia

Nia

Thank you, I posted something unrelated and than deleted it. Yes, the progress in US is very reassuring, I am very happy to read about it

i<3riviera

all when it comes to under 18 in uk, unless at risk or living with someone at risk

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ildren-offered-covid-jabs-first-minister-says

Ireland is opening registration for all over 12 shortly but the language is not as firm recommending it as it is for kids over 16.
saw the same thing recently and it gave us pause; we thought the fact that UK has decent (re: better than US) vaccination rates and less vaccination hesitancy was contributing to this decision; if they can get enough of the adult population vaccinated that it reduces community transmission significantly, they may not even need to vaccinate children; school would obviously still be a hotspot to manage

overall, the guidance may have had more to do with UK being in a good place without children being vaccinated

we had planned to vaccinate our two eldest as soon as possible (Sep / Oct) and our youngest as well (Jan 2022?); but now, since our little tribe won't be fully vaccinated until the youngest gets the jab(s), we're weighing the option to do all three at once in Jan 2022; contributing to that is that we home school and are anti-social so a few more months of keeping to ourselves isn't a significant burden on us

Anne

Things are ramping up here. My MIL's nursing home is on lock-down for 2 positives. They had just finally let kids visit so at least my kids got to see her twice before they shut down to visitors again.

At work we are starting to get the "I was exposed at camp" questions. I really enjoyed those 2 months of not having everything be about COVID all day. Most of the sports camps have had the "honor " system regarding masks. 27% of our 12-15 year olds are fully vaccinated but I'm getting reports of 0% of kids in that age group wearing masks for indoor sports camps.

I will be signing my 9 and 10 year old sons up for their shot as soon as it is approved. I think I've mentioned previously, in my practice that cares for 5000 kids we've had 4 with post-COVID cardiac issues. Granted that is completely anecdotal. But it's enough to convince me the 2 in 100,000 risk of myocarditis/pericarditis from the vaccine is better odds.

Nia

UK had a lot of death cases throughout the pandemic and aren't praised for their handling of it. I don't think UK are in good place either, at least yet but we have to be hopeful
I read what they have to say, I consider it but that's all.

The two preferred vaccines are made by US companies, they consistently overdelivered in terms of numbers of vaccines produced (unlike AZ), they have been more upfront about side effects and the known side effects are less severe. Biden is the leader who made attempt to remove licensing temporarily to allow poorer countries to produce their own. The clear leader is US in terms of science and vaccinations in this pandemic.

Are the kids improving Anne? Are the majority of the long covid cased linked to heart inflammation I wonder? Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Anne

Are the kids improving Anne? Are the majority of the long covid cased linked to heart inflammation I wonder? Thanks for the info.
2 resolved, 2 ongoing.

Cardiac is just the tip of the iceberg for long COVID. Most of what I'm seeing for kids is fatigue (without cardiac changes), headaches, diarrhea, ongoing loss of taste or smell, difficulty with attention and learning, loss in athletic endurance (again without demonstrable ongoing cardiac changes). Things that aren't debilitating but that do impact quality of life significantly. And by impacting quality of life and sports abilities, extracurricular activities, and academic achievement, can result in secondary anxiety and depression (although there is also plenty of additional anxiety and depression due to the pandemic as well). This is of course NOT the majority of kids I see. Most have a mild illness and appear completely resolved after. It's enough, though, to convince me this isn't "just the flu" even in kids. I've seen nothing like this in 20+ flu seasons (including the first year of H1N1).

Nia

Thanks for the info Anne

1000s of teens 16+ are waiting in line the first ever walk in vaccination center here. We are at 86.4 uptake for first dose, we should hit 90% by Monday. That's over 18s only, they have not started including stats for 16 plus yet and have not started vaccinating younger kids yet. Emotional looking at the photos, great buzz around it and it's good to see young people getting the vaccine too. Consider the slow start we had.

I will register our son the first day I am able to, so thanks for the data & links and info

geek1997

We are back to exploring online school for my 10yo this year, this time outside of our district since they weren't given a budget for online teaching. She was so excited to be able to go back in-person this year and it's breaking my heart. I keep going back-and-forth trying to figure out if we are overreacting. How much protection would she even have if she's masked but a high % of kids around her are not, sitting in a classroom for 45min to 1.5hours and changing classes six times a day, and this variant that is highly transmissible? Slowly moving from stage three to four.

Nia, I understand your hesitancy. I signed our 13yo up the day it was approved for 12 to 15, then had a mini panic attack when we were standing inline, wondering if I was doing the right thing. But there's been a lot of peace-of-mind that has come since, knowing she has additional protection going back to school this year.

Anne

Just listened to Andy Slavitt's podcast with the CEO of Pfizer. "We will be ready after summer" to submit data for vaccines in 5-11 age group. Not any new information and even less precise than their press release that said September 2021 for 2-11.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Just listened to Andy Slavitt's podcast with the CEO of Pfizer. "We will be ready after summer" to submit data for vaccines in 5-11 age group. Not any new information and even less precise than their press release that said September 2021 for 2-11.
At this point a bigger hurdle to overcome, in my opinion, is full FDA approval for 12+ (or even 18+) which would allow employers and schools to mandate the vaccine.