Current Bus Experiences?

bnoble

he's right
Even here in The People's Republic, mask compliance is starting to slip a little---It's no longer surprising to me when I see someone in a store w/o a mask, where a few weeks ago that would be very unusual. This is happening just as Michigan is spiking. My county is still doing more or less okay, but the state in general is definitely not.

Disney is going to end up bending in whichever way the gestalt of the overall customer base is headed---and my sense is that now that even the 5-11s can be vaxxed, that will tip quickly in favor of "we just want to go to WDW and not worry about this anymore." The people that care have their (five and up) family vaxxed, and so unless they have littles they are not as concerned on average. The people that don't care don't care.

Rational? No. True? Probably.

I still think that, for me, the line is whether or not we are all willing to eat indoors. If that's still true, we are probably okay with a WDW trip. If it's not true, then we aren't going. Speaking only personally: I assume that I will be exposed and infected, probably repeatedly, for the rest of my life. I'm also assuming that as long as I stay current on my vaccinations that a severe illness (or even long covid) is unlikely enough that the risk fades into the background into the "severe traffic accident" realm. I can deal with a really nasty virus that knocks me on my backside for a few days to a week, and anything more than that is probably not going to happen. Not everyone in my family feels that way. So far, the caseload/hospitalization/death curves bear that out. The hospitalization rate is much lower relative to caseload than it was even in the srping spike we had.

Strangeite

I assume that I will be exposed and infected, probably repeatedly, for the rest of my life.

This is where I have landed as well. We ain't getting rid of this virus and to extend your traffic accident analogy, we will need to make sure we buckle up and drive defensively.

lovett1979

I am now triple-vaxxed. Regardless of what Disney does, I will be wearing a mask indoors and avoiding indoor dining as much as possible on my trip in 3 weeks. I hope that they don't change the rules but won't cancel my trip if they do. As mentioned above, changing the rules based on transmission level in Orange County, FL would make no sense since the majority of the people in the parks on any given day are not FROM Orange County, FL. Letting vaxxed CMs unmask when not in contact with guests makes sense but scientifically has no similarities to who guests are and how they should behave. If they required vaccines for park entry (which they should, but never will), then maybe dropping masks for guests would be safe, but they're not, so they should keep indoor masking.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I assume that I will be exposed and infected, probably repeatedly, for the rest of my life.
I think when the Pfizer treatment is approved and being manufactured in large enough quantities that it's easy to get at your local pharmacy, COVID becomes (for most people) a nuisance like influenza. We'll get vaccinated, get boosted, and if/when we catch it, take the medicine that makes it better. And a small number of the population will die from it every year, which is tragic, but when a disease is endemic, what other options are there?

But I'll probably still be over-conservative until that treatment pill is available. We're probably only a few months away from that. I can hold out a few more months...

Anne

I am now triple-vaxxed. Regardless of what Disney does, I will be wearing a mask indoors and avoiding indoor dining as much as possible on my trip in 3 weeks. I hope that they don't change the rules but won't cancel my trip if they do. As mentioned above, changing the rules based on transmission level in Orange County, FL would make no sense since the majority of the people in the parks on any given day are not FROM Orange County, FL. Letting vaxxed CMs unmask when not in contact with guests makes sense but scientifically has no similarities to who guests are and how they should behave. If they required vaccines for park entry (which they should, but never will), then maybe dropping masks for guests would be safe, but they're not, so they should keep indoor masking.

This is where I am in regards to our December trip. I would much prefer a mask mandate, but I don't see canceling if it's dropped. We will be doing some indoor ADRs (at least as of now). What I most dread is being stuck in an indoor queue next to someone without a mask. To me that seems like having the potential for the longest/closest exposure. At least with indoor dining you aren't quite as close (at least until they have enough staff to fill all the tables)? And we've chosen larger more open dining rooms and no standing next to someone in a buffet line. We plan to keep masks on until food arrives. My oldest son is the one struggling the most with thinking about indoor dining and being near others in indoor queues even after fully vaccinated. He's said he's struggling with the mental shift because it's been so long feeling like those things are not ok it's hard to believe it's not high risk for him now.

RetroCOTfan

What I most dread is being stuck in an indoor queue next to someone without a mask. To me that seems like having the potential for the longest/closest exposure.
My wife is immunocompromised, so to combat this she generally leads our party in the queue, then the kids, then me. If we're in a "tight" queue that is slow moving, she keeps distance from the party in front of us, and I slow walk so that any party behind us is as far from my wife as is comfortable. Of course, in places where there are switchbacks, this strategy is not particularly helpful. :cautious:

Anne

Oh man... if only...
I just got an email from Disney Cruise Line. They will be requiring vaccines for everyone 5 and up starting 1/13/22. Crazy to think a Cruise option feels safer than the parks right now.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I just got an email from Disney Cruise Line. They will be requiring vaccines for everyone 5 and up starting 1/13/22. Crazy to think a Cruise option feels safer than the parks right now.
"Safer," with regards to COVID. They're still floating petrie dishes.

projectx

Good for them. But really, there's a big difference between a cruise ship and the parks. Someone bringing covid on board would spread a lot faster than it would at the theme parks.

On the other hand... it's about the money. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too. "Oh, look at us, we're doing the right thing." They know they can fill their small fleet (four!) of cruise ships with enough passengers that don't mind the vaccine mandate. But packing tens of thousands into theme parks (or are we at 6 figures across all four major parks) every single day with a vaccine requirement? Not happening.

pixarprincess

This is where I am in regards to our December trip. I would much prefer a mask mandate, but I don't see canceling if it's dropped. We will be doing some indoor ADRs (at least as of now). What I most dread is being stuck in an indoor queue next to someone without a mask. To me that seems like having the potential for the longest/closest exposure. At least with indoor dining you aren't quite as close (at least until they have enough staff to fill all the tables)? And we've chosen larger more open dining rooms and no standing next to someone in a buffet line. We plan to keep masks on until food arrives. My oldest son is the one struggling the most with thinking about indoor dining and being near others in indoor queues even after fully vaccinated. He's said he's struggling with the mental shift because it's been so long feeling like those things are not ok it's hard to believe it's not high risk for him now.
Talking about being concerned about being maskless in a queue with people.... So at Disneyland (World too but less) there are a bunch of rides (all the dark rides in fantasy land) where the line is mostly outdoors but the attraction is inside. Peter Pan is the best example of this. You switchback shoulder to shoulder with people maskless because were outside for 25 minutes then put your mask on to get into a ride vehicle with only members of your party that are somewhat social distanced from the other ride vehicles.... Not super logical.

We are also of the "we are probably going to get it at some point, probably more than once and this is just life now" category. We mask when we can and are scheduled for boosters just over 2 weeks before our upcoming trip, so we are giving ourselves the protection thats available to us. We have inside ADRs but we eat indoors at home, so it sort of is what it is.

I'd honestly be fine at this point with Disney requiring proof of vaccination to visit the parks, as well as go on a cruise. But I don't think that is going to happen.

Abbyar

No distancing or reduced capacity on transportation now? The more I think about the possibility of being packed in on a bus the more I think we will stick with driving. I also wondered if an end of night boat to Polynesian and walking to TTC might be preferable to the crowds queued for, and on, the ferry to TTC (even if it takes longer). Or are they really no different at this point? The final option is to park at TTC and walk to and from MK. In the morning that wouldn't be a big deal. But at the end of a late night I'm not sure my oldest son would be up for it (the rest of us would be good with it).
Neither, and with fewer buses Disney is also renting coaches for late nights (they had them out & ready for Christmas after hours party on Tuesday). The skyliner has been very nice.
Really, things are so crammed indoors the buses have nothing on the parks though.