DHS - Days needed

PunchyPayne5

Hi all! Our last trip to Disney was in 2017, so it will have been three years since our last trip when we go this summer. Obviously a lot has changed at DHS. On our last three trips, we had about 8 - 9 park days total.

This time we will have 5 full park days plus 1/2 days on our first and last days (then to Clearwater Beach for a couple of days.)

In the past, we've always only planned 1 full day at DHS and it was plenty. Not sure that's the case anymore...but if we do 2 full days at DHS this time, we won't have 2 full days at MK. I'm really torn as I feel we will need 2 full days at both parks.

In your opinion, would it be worth getting Park Hoppers (we never get them,) so that we can be more flexible and change plans if needed? Or do you think we can still get everything done in one day at DHS?

PS - We are SW fans and my kids will want to do RnR and ToT.

Thanks!

deedee73

What are your plans for the 2 half days? Could you use those days to hit DHS?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
Josh just posted an excellent summary of the RoTR and DHS touring strategy that you should read if you haven't already.

The challenge with DHS is the Boarding Group process for RoTR. The only way to get a BG is to have everyone in the park at park open. You then get your BG, which may have you called back shortly or perhaps not until much later in the day. So a late day half day is not an option if you want to ride RoTR on that day. You may want to schedule 2 mornings at DHS to make sure you get a BG on at least one of the days. You can add park hopping at the park if you decide that you need or want it so you don't have to make that decision now.

This of course assumes that they will still be using BG in March, which seems likely but you never know. If they change that might change your touring strategy.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
Josh just posted an excellent summary of the RoTR and DHS touring strategy that you should read if you haven't already.

The challenge with DHS is the Boarding Group process for RoTR. The only way to get a BG is to have everyone in the park at park open. You then get your BG, which may have you called back shortly or perhaps not until much later in the day. So a late day half day is not an option if you want to ride RoTR on that day. You may want to schedule 2 mornings at DHS to make sure you get a BG on at least one of the days. You can add park hopping at the park if you decide that you need or want it so you don't have to make that decision now.

This of course assumes that they will still be using BG in March, which seems likely but you never know. If they change that might change your touring strategy.
Not sure where I got March from. I thought your post said March. When are you going?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The trick to Hollywood Studios is to continually refresh and book additional FP+ experiences, which is easier if you have a party of four or fewer people and don't mind being on your phone clicking the button to reload availability. If you're willing to refresh, it shouldn't be too difficult to book all of the rides throughout the day.

Unless I've missed a drastic change, you should be able to add park hopper after you use the tickets, so it could be a gametime decision if you feel like it would be beneficial. I usually recommend figuring out how much it will cost to add park hopper, and then divide that by the number of times you plan to hop, to get the "per hop cost." If you're looking at one hop for $280 then it might not be the best cost proposition. If you're planning on making five hops, then you're doing a lot better for yourselves.

If you can be there for park open and/or park close then you should be fine with one day. You may still want to visit for another day to take everything in Galaxy's Edge in, and potentially ride the Star Wars rides again.

Of course, things will change considerably if Rise of the Resistance moves to standby/FastPass+ and after Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway opens.

PunchyPayne5

Thanks - all good things to think about. I like the idea of waiting until we get there to see if we want to hop, so I may just do that. It's just a completely opposite strategy than what we've done with every other trip, so I feel like if I don't plan to hop, we won't (but I think the hoppers are probably used best if you allow yourself to be spontaneous...which I think we can do more of now that our kids are older).

PunchyPayne5

What are your plans for the 2 half days? Could you use those days to hit DHS?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The first 1/2 day is our travel day and we should get to the park around 2ish (if all goes well which we obviously can't count on). We will likely do MK that day mainly because we always start at MK.

I was thinking for our last 1/2 day before heading to the beach we'd do EPCOT FW since I don't think we'll need much time there. I'd like to try to do RoTR twice if at all possible, and thinking it's just not something I could count on that we'd get an early enough boarding group to do that on that second 1/2 day....AND if something happened during our first DHS day and we didn't get a boarding group, then we wouldn't get to ride at all (which wouldn't be the end of the world, just more of a drag).

I think I'll just plan on two full days at DHS with the option to add hoppers. It probably makes the most sense.

amk3

We are often doing 5 day trips with parkhopping because of military tickets via my parents. Hoppers do help when you're squishing four parks in five days. But even if you decide you are definitely adding, I'd wait until you know the weather to add. An evening wandering the WS isn't nearly as appealing in rain.