DHS FPP Help Needed, Please

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
During our upcoming trip, we'll be onsite for eight nights, with six or seven park days with PHs, in early May. DHS has changed so much in the two years that I don't know how to fit in all the new stuff and past favorites. We'll be at Riviera for the first four nights, so we'd like to take advantage of the Skyliner to get to and from, but I'm afraid that won't get us to the park on the morning we have to board a ROTR group. We can always go back later in the week with the car to get there earlier for ROTR, but that's not preferred. So with that in mind, can I get some advice on how many DHS days/evenings I'll need (the fewer the better) to get the following in:

Slinky
TSMM
Runaway Railway
ROTR
Smugglers Run

I don't suppose there's a way to do all on the same day?

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
We're doing two DHS morning in August. I'm interested to see what responses you get. Right now I'm thinking one day FP MMRR and ride SDD standby, the second day FP SR and ride TSM standby. And both days keep fingers crossed for a ROTR boarding group.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I think the only way you could do it in one day would be a very long day or at least one with a midday break, but ROTR makes planning that challenging since you won't even have an estimate of when you will be called until you get your BG.

In theory you could get to the park 1 1/2 - 2 hours before opening, get your BG and RD one of the Tier 1's. You could ride another of the tier 1's with FP as well as TSMM and another Tier2 (ST, RNR, TOT). You could then ride ROTR with BG and then get in line at the end of the night for the last tier 1. SDD would probably be the shortest late night option, I would think, but we don't know what Runaway Rail will be like yet.

You might be able to do OK with arriving a little later if you don't mind waiting longer for the RD ride and don't need to get to any other rides with a short wait. Not sure if you want to fit in any of the other SW stuff like Oga's or lightsabers but either way that looks to be a long day.

Maybe some of the tier 1's will be easier to get with a 4th FP once Runaway Railway gets added but right now 4th FP+s look hard to come by only with constant refreshing.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
FWIW, the last few days have been pretty good in terms of ride reliability. Backup BG's have been lasting at least 15 minutes or 30 and they have gotten through pretty much all of them. That means if you are there at park opening, you should be able to get on the ride even with a late BG. You should only be shut out if you have such a serious tech issue that none of the people can get in and you have to go to GET. Even if you have the minor glitches that require shutting down the app and trying again you should at least get a BG that will let you ride.

Hopefully that level of performance stays. it also assumes that they stick with the BG process in May.

Anne

I would FP TSMM (now tier 2) and MMRR
RD Slinky
Falcon at park close
Boarding group for Rise since you will need to be early to RD a headliner you will have a chance at getting a good boarding group.

This is making the assumption that RD will be hardest at MMRR because it's the newest, followed by Falcon, followed by Slinky. If it turns out MMRR doesn't end up hardest to RD I'd rearrange to the following priority:

RD easiest, FP hardest, ride the middle one at park close.

bnoble

he's right
I'm no longer rope-dropping the biggest attraction(s) in any park. And, as I think about it, I stopped doing that way back when TSMM and Soarin' were the two worst at WDW. You have to get there too early, and the stress of the walk just isn't worth it. I either FP it, catch it at close (or *maybe* during EMH when there are no FP+ returns), or skip it. None of these are going anywhere, and I can ride them some other time if need be.

For Studios, I don't have a good guess about what's "not worth rope-dropping." It seems that, for now at least, *both* SDD and MFSR are painful. I have no idea how MMRR will change that, though.

George

I'm no longer rope-dropping the biggest attraction(s) in any park. And, as I think about it, I stopped doing that way back when TSMM and Soarin' were the two worst at WDW. You have to get there too early, and the stress of the walk just isn't worth it. I either FP it, catch it at close (or *maybe* during EMH when there are no FP+ returns), or skip it. None of these are going anywhere, and I can ride them some other time if need be.

For Studios, I don't have a good guess about what's "not worth rope-dropping." It seems that, for now at least, *both* SDD and MFSR are painful. I have no idea how MMRR will change that, though.
What’s MFSR?

This is how we’ve been “doing Disney” for the last couple of years since FPP, i.e., fewer RDs and more intelligent FPP selection. True, we got less done, but we’d already done most everything many times through the years. But with the advent of all the new stuff at DHS, I’m afraid we’ll have to have at least one crazy RD rushing day.

mgarbowski

What’s MFSR?

This is how we’ve been “doing Disney” for the last couple of years since FPP, i.e., fewer RDs and more intelligent FPP selection. True, we got less done, but we’d already done most everything many times through the years. But with the advent of all the new stuff at DHS, I’m afraid we’ll have to have at least one crazy RD rushing day.
Same with us. We haven't aggressively rope dropped in a few years. We might be there at rope drop but we're not showing up 30+ minutes early and running to a specific attraction. We didn't even ever do that for Pandora. But right now HS just seems like a unique case.

bnoble

he's right
MFSR: Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run. (I don't know if there is an Unofficial Official Acronym for this one yet.)

I still *do* rope drops, but I am going to something other than the Latest Greatest Thing. At MK, I'm usually going either to Space or to Thunder/Splash. Every once in a while I *might* try Pan, but even that hurts. At AK, Nav'i or power-riding Everest is my usual First Thing. At Studios, I believe it will either be Saucers/Midway Mania, or Tower/Coaster first thing.

It's the old "zig where they zag" thing from the long-lost TGM days.

nolarookie

I guess it depends on how HS does their RD procedure when you go. On our trip, we entered the park an hour early, and we were able to go back to the attractions, i our case Slinky Dog, and it was relatively painless.

George

MFSR: Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run. (I don't know if there is an Unofficial Official Acronym for this one yet.)

I still *do* rope drops, but I am going to something other than the Latest Greatest Thing. At MK, I'm usually going either to Space or to Thunder/Splash. Every once in a while I *might* try Pan, but even that hurts. At AK, Nav'i or power-riding Everest is my usual First Thing. At Studios, I believe it will either be Saucers/Midway Mania, or Tower/Coaster first thing.

It's the old "zig where they zag" thing from the long-lost TGM days.
Makes sense; I hadn't seen MFSR before, and damned if I could figure out what it was!

I guess it depends on how HS does their RD procedure when you go. On our trip, we entered the park an hour early, and we were able to go back to the attractions, i our case Slinky Dog, and it was relatively painless.
Josh's recent morning DHS blog post(s) outline this exact procedure, but it still required him to arrive at the park entrance at 6:07am to be at the head of the crowd.

nolarookie

Yes, we arrived early, probably 6:20 or so by the time I got through the bag check, and we were pretty close to the ticket booths.