Dining Reviews from our September 2015 Trip

DisneyDanceMom73

Sorry so late, but I'm new here. :RpS_rolleyes: We upgraded to the Deluxe Dining Plan this trip. Since this was the 1st trip with our 2YO DD, we wanted to make sure she had 3 squares a day and this allowed us to rest a little, but still be immersed in the Disney magic. Plus, it was a great way to experience new restaurants. I plan my meals around with park we plan to concentrate on each day. I'm only going to hit highlights here, but if you would like links to my daily dining review vlogs, let me know.

Day 1
50's Prime Time Cafe-Lunch: Never fails us. As always a solid meal. Aunt Liz's Fried Chicken was excellent.
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater: 1st time here since 2003. Much better experience this time. Love the ambiance and the booths are not as crowded as I thought. A little too dark at the table. Steak was good. If you order the wings appetizers, make sure you have wipes! The sauce is very thick!

Day 2
Akershus-breakfast: Very big hit with all of us! Ariel was the greeter, and inside was Cinderella, Aurora and Snow White. Seafood salad on buffet was a BIG THUMBS UP!
Coral Reef-lunch: Excellent as always (even with DD's crankiness from being woke up from her nap).One of the best themed restaurants on property IMO.
Garden Grill-dinner: Great family style food & DD's 1st interaction with Mickey will always hold a special place in my heart!

Day 3
Tusker House-breakfast: another big hit! Only drawback is not a lot of African inspired dishes on buffet. Loved the Jambo Juice. DD got to Hot Dog Dance with all the characters.
Yak & Yeti-lunch: good food but it was so hot and super crowded. Try the Firecracker Shrimp!
Raglan Road-dinner: very disappointing! I normally love the food, but fish & chips were soggy and the wiater was super rude (as in hanging over my shoulder and demanding a 20% tip rude)

Day 4:
Wave...of American Flavors-breakfast: great and underrated buffet. It was very quiet and the food was actually on the healthy side. Loved the Eggs Benedict!
The Plaza-lunch: The meatloaf was very good, but the service...not so much. 30 minutes late taking us for our reservation and was taking some without reservations before us.
1900 Park Faire-dinner: Great experience as always. Good food and the interaction with Lady Tremaine & the Step Sisters is worth the price of admission alone! Good alternative if you can't get CRT reservations.

Day 5
'Ohana-breakfast: The family style food was excellent and I love the character interaction! DD & Stitch totally bonded :)
Hollywood & Vine-lunch: Would have never eaten here if I didn't have a Disney Junior obsessed toddler, but the buffet was a lot better than I expected! Some of the best character interaction I've seen at a character meal.
Hollywood Brown Derby-dinner: What an excellent meal! The From the bisque appetizer to the pan seared black grouper entree, BIG THUMBS UP and worth 2 dining credits!

Day 6
Cape My Cafe-breakfast: Thumbs down! The food was only so-so at best and we had a terrible interaction with Donald (so much so that I actually called and complained to Disney for the first time EVER). Minnie and Goofy were great with DD though.
Rainforest Cafe, DS-lunch: really good food and DD was fascinated every time it would "storm"
Chef Mickey's-dinner: Despite the negative reviews I had read about the dinner buffet, I was very pleased with the food quality. And the character interactions were fantastic! This Donald more than made up for Cape May!

Day 7
Trail's End-breakfast: Very quiet for a buffet and the food was excellent! Highly recommend a very early ADR for a MK day.
Cinderella's Royal Table-lunch: Mommy win for the trip! Could not get a reservation to save my life! Walked up to the counter on a whim before getting to the boat for lunch at Whispering Canyon and asked and they said "We can take you now if you can come". After picking my jaw up off the floor, we cancelled WCC and went in. Food was pretty good. Jasmine & Ariel LOVED DD!! Jasmine even came back by as her shift was ending and planted a big kiss on her cheek!
Crystal Palace-dinner: Buffet was good as always! DD got to bounce with Tigger!

Day 8
Beaches n' Cream-lunch: Our yearly tradition! Still the best burgers on property IMO. No Way Jose was out of this world!

All in all, a great first time with Deluxe Dining Plan and DD's first trip. The character meals were an excellent way to meet characters without standing in the long lines!

Micah008

Wow, that's a lot of food. :RpS_smile:

The only one in your list that surprised me was Cape May Cafe, since we had a very good experience there.

Thanks for sharing.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Haha wow that is a lot of food! Glad it was mostly hits and thanks for the feedback.

DisneyDanceMom73

Wow, that's a lot of food. :RpS_smile:

The only one in your list that surprised me was Cape May Cafe, since we had a very good experience there.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks guys! I was expecting Cape May to be great to and I had good things about it. The food wasn't horrible, but compared to the others it was so-so. The interaction with Donald was the big thing that disappointed me. At least Goofy and Minnie made up for that.

And yes, it was a lot of food! LOL! But we got much more than our money's worth out of it. Can't wait to do it again in December! :RpS_thumbsup:

AngiTN

You got yourself a big eating toddler! DH and I are huge eaters and we can't eat half those meals you planned on our trips. Wow

Coral Reef-lunch: Excellent as always (even with DD's crankiness from being woke up from her nap).One of the best themed restaurants on property IMO.
Curious, have you ever eaten at Aquarium Cafe (from the same folks that bring you T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe and Yak and Yeti)?
We avoid Coral Reef because eating in an aquarium setting isn't a novelty to us so I wondered how they compare

DisneyDanceMom73

Sorry, gotta ask - what did Donald do!?!
He refused to hug DD or spend any time with her, even though he had been huggy and spent a lot of time with the tables before us and the table after us. And she was very excited to see him, like she was for every character that weekend. He literally came to the table, gave a slight wave when she was reaching for a hug and walked off.

DisneyDanceMom73

You got yourself a big eating toddler! DH and I are huge eaters and we can't eat half those meals you planned on our trips. Wow

Curious, have you ever eaten at Aquarium Cafe (from the same folks that bring you T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe and Yak and Yeti)?
We avoid Coral Reef because eating in an aquarium setting isn't a novelty to us so I wondered how they compare
I've never heard of the Aquarium Cafe, but I like the other restaurants you mentioned associated with them.

DisneyDanceMom73

She was under 3 at the time and we didn't have to pay for her food, so she ate off our plates, which is why we did we did all the buffets. But she was hitting a massive growth spurt at the time so she was very hungry. LOL!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
He refused to hug DD or spend any time with her, even though he had been huggy and spent a lot of time with the tables before us and the table after us. And she was very excited to see him, like she was for every character that weekend. He literally came to the table, gave a slight wave when she was reaching for a hug and walked off.
I would probably give the character the benefit of the doubt on that one - whether they were feeling sick/tired or didn't see you. Visibility is very poor.

AngiTN

And he never came back? Did you ask anyone for him to? Our servers all week asked us if we had seen all characters. Oddly, all but 1 of our character meals last week had no handlers (budget cut victims?) so no one to assist in explaining things or for the character to go to for help. The only one that did was CP. At the others the waitstaff asked us about characters instead of handlers

I witnessed Tiger do this exact thing on Tuesday at 1900PF. As he got to the next table and the kids came up to start to hug them he pushed them away and waved his had to keep them back and he scurried in to the back. The family was quite confused (they were seated across from us). But Tigger returned and went back to that table to start his rounds again and spent plenty of time with them. I assume he had an issue of some sort that had to be dealt with immediately. If Donald had a similar situation I wonder if he forgot where he left off when coming back?

DisneyDanceMom73

And he never came back? Did you ask anyone for him to? Our servers all week asked us if we had seen all characters. Oddly, all but 1 of our character meals last week had no handlers (budget cut victims?) so no one to assist in explaining things or for the character to go to for help. The only one that did was CP. At the others the waitstaff asked us about characters instead of handlers

I witnessed Tiger do this exact thing on Tuesday at 1900PF. As he got to the next table and the kids came up to start to hug them he pushed them away and waved his had to keep them back and he scurried in to the back. The family was quite confused (they were seated across from us). But Tigger returned and went back to that table to start his rounds again and spent plenty of time with them. I assume he had an issue of some sort that had to be dealt with immediately. If Donald had a similar situation I wonder if he forgot where he left off when coming back?
I asked the waiter if there was something wrong with Donald because he acted very dismissive with her. He apologized and said he would talk to him (I don't remember seeing a handler for him), but Donald never returned. I don't know, the whole encounter just seems very weird. I will say I have respect for anyone who gets in those costumes. I spent several years dressing up as a bear and the Easter Bunny when I worked for a department store. I know how uncomfortable and hot costumes like that can get, not to mention poor visibility, which is why I didn't like the idea of complaining about the encounter. But I told them that my DD is very lucky in that she has had a great encounter with Donald earlier that week at Tusker House. I would just hate to see that happen to another child if that was their favorite character. But it's possible that he was sick or tired and with no handler to help them out, I get it. I remember several years ago we had to wait an hour and a half for another Pluto to arrive at Chef Mickey's breakfast...the original Pluto had an upset stomach and had gotten sick in the costume! Poor guy!