Dinner planning on dining plan

dfbdisney2020

We are booking our ADR on Tuesday for an August trip. We for sure are booking hoop dee do revue and want to book Hollywood brown derby, which are both 2 dining points per person per restaurant. Any recommendations for quick service or additional table service restaurants to book?

thanks!

Anne

It would be helpful if you provided more information about your travel party and which park/resort you will be at when dining (it's usually better to eat where you are). How many nights and which dining plan (regular or deluxe).

dfbdisney2020

That would be smart, party of 6, planning out our trip now so itenary is still up in the air. We will be there for 6 nights and on the regular dining plan

Anne

Ages? Children? Interest in characters or no? At least which parks you plan to visit? All 4? Staying where?

dfbdisney2020

Goodness I’m bad at this. No children, all ages from 30-60, we will be visiting all 4 parks throughout the trip, staying at the boardwalk

Anne

If you use 4 credits for 2 TS you have 2 left for sit down meals. If you think you want more than 4 total sit down meals I would pay OOP for Hoop. That meal you can only use dining credits for tier 2 or 3 seating and prices are about $55-60 for those tickets. You are paying about $45 per TS credit, so $90 for a $55-60 meal, it's one of the lower value options for your credits.

Near BW Flying Fish is a great signature option which I prefer to Brown Derby, although understandable if you don't want to leave HS for a meal. California Grill is my other favorite hotel signature because the view can't be beat and the food is always solid.

Epcot there are lots of great TS options. When staying at a crescent lake resort we often tour other parks in the morning and then have our pms at Epcot and eat there (to me it's worth getting hoppers for this). Monsieur Paul is my favorite signature at Epcot. Tutto Italia is a great value as it feels almost signature (and prices are almost signature level) but is 1 credit. We like Tokyo Dining and Teppan Edo in Japan because you can get some lighter options but it's a controversial choice. There is no special experience here that is uniquely Disney that you can't get at your local Japanese restaurant. But the food and service are great and it's a good value on the dining plan. I love the atmosphere at Chef de France, it reminds me of Paris. The food has been hit or miss for us. The food has always been good at Marrakesh. Biergarten is a lot of fun and the buffet is one of the better Disney buffet options if you like that kind of food. We always enjoy Via Napoli but I wouldn't use dining credits here, it's a better value OOP. Or if you use dining credits I would share and not order 6 meals, it would be too much food. But still not a great value for a TS credit.

Epcot has many QS options. We like to share QS meals because portions are large. And if you are only doing 4 TS over 6 nights you can stretch your QS to cover the rest of your meals. We like the platters at Tangierine cafe. Grilled Sandwiches at the Norway bakery are large, tasty, and shareable. Sunshine Seasons has a lot of options and is convenient. But quality has been slipping.

If you are going during a festival the food booths are a great option for snack credits. I personally am not a fan of redeeming 1 QS for 3 snacks at the festival booths, you end up with less food than a stardard QS meal. And you have to order all 3 items from the same booth. Although from a cost perspective it is a good deal. The bakery in France is a really good use of snack credits. We would often stop there on the way out of the park and use snack credits to buy pastries and quiche (although our last trip the quiche was no longer a snack credit) for breakfast the next morning. Much better options than what is available QS at the hotel for breakfast. Boardwalk Bakery has some good sweets options but I don't love the premade cooler grab and go sandwiches.

Now that the skyliner is an option I'd go to Riviera for QS on the way to or from HS. Or as part of a park break, and explore the new hotel. It's higher quality and a good value for a QS credit. We are going to do the character breakfast at the Riviera next month for the first time. It's gotten good reviews of the food even if you aren't interested in characters, and is convenient to BW. I'd do it as brunch on a sleep-in morning.

MK TS without kids I'd do Skipper Canteen. Best food at the park. We often do Crystal Palace because our kids love those Characters, but the food is pretty mediocre. Plaza looks like the new menu isn't great, it was our go-to for OOP when they had mostly sandwiches. CRT and BoG are not worth 2 credits in terms of food. Only if you are interested in the characters or castle. People like Liberty Tree Tavern but it's not my kind of food so we don't eat there much.

MK QS BoG lunch is nice because you have an ADR so less worry about crowds and it's a good value on the dining plan. Our go-to QS at MK is to mobile order at Columbia Harbor House.

AK TS we either do Tiffins (2 credits) or Tusker House. I enjoy the food at Tusker House and would eat there even if not interested in the characters. Although like most of the Disney buffets the quality is on the decline. I really like the curries at Tusker and those are harder to mess up. But the quality of the meats at the carving stations has really gone down.

QS at AK I always go to Sautuli.

HS is a struggle. There is no TS there that we love. For a while Minnie's dine at Hollywood and Vine the buffet was better (right when the changed over to the Minnie character meal) but the food's been pretty bad on our last few visits. The kids like the characters so we go occasionally. I don't love 50s prime time because it's not a type of food I enjoy, but others like the fried chicken. Sci Fi is fun and the burgers good but it's a poor use of a TS credit in terms of value, it's our go-to when paying OOP not much more than QS burger. Brown Derby has the best food but is 2 credits and is one of the weaker signatures in terms of food quality (I'd rather use my 2 credits and skyliner to the Riviera or Flying Fish for dinner).

HS QS I'd mobile order in Star wars.

dfbdisney2020

This is amazing, thank you so much for your detailed response!!!

If I remember correctly, the later Hoop Dee Do revue you can still can get category 1 seating, that one is more tradition that anything else which is why that was a definite.

We were looking at BOG for a lunch QS which seems like a great option according to your notes.

Our list now is:
Via Napoli (which I might revisit due to your note)
Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Be our Guest LUNCH
Hollywood Brown Derby
Yak & Yeti (We’ve never eaten at AK and my husband picked this

we are also going to make a reservation for the SW cantina for a drink while we are at HS

again, thank you thank you! I make reservations tonight at 12a! It’s still midnight correct?

deedee73

ADRs are 6 am EST and FPs are 7 am EST! HDD Revue is tier 1 seating for the late show unless it has changed recently. I agree that this is a traditional must do nostalgic meal for us too.

We love Yak and Yeti. Also consider going out of MK for a great meal being O'hana or Narcoossee's. We also really enjoy Kona Cafe and Grand Floridian Cafe. Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anne

I have never done the late hoop dee doo but that sounds vaguely familiar that you can book tier 1 seats with the dining plan, unlike the earlier shows. The tier 1 seats are $60 pre tax so still a $ loss on the dining plan.

You have a great list for your ADRs, all solid choices in terms of quality and experience! But several are on the lower value side considering the cost of the dining plan (hoop, via napoli, yak and yeti). If you have the inclination, I might price out each meal and decide if the meal plan still makes sense. You might spend less OOP than on the plan. With ongoing menu price hikes you still might come out ok, I haven't done a recent calculation with the regular plan, but with those choices you might be on the border.

My family spends a ridiculous amount on Disney each year, but it just kills me to give them a penny more than I have to so I'm willing to take the time to plot out my "best deal" strategies. I realize it's not for everyone.

jd12370

Hi,
I would consider Brown Derby for lunch instead of dinner and would not use credits for it. Almost same menu with a couple different options.

We tried it on our last trip. It cost us less than 40$ per adult for an amazing meal.

I know you probably already have made your choices but at this point, it's still easy to consider options and make changes.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Don’t forget Hoop prices include gratuity. Sometimes one only looks at the cost of the meal without realizing they’re still going to pay 20% OOP once the check arrives. Not so with the dinner shows

George

Pricing is available now. I think the DxDP, while more expensive at $119/day, is a better value, adding an extra meal per day plus three appetizers. Since only one of us gets the Plan and we divvy up the credits between the two of us, sometimes sharing the appetizer and dessert and augmenting the other’s meal with an entree, it’s a better deal for us. This new plan only includes drink/entree/dessert, like the regular DP.

The new Dining Plan Plus Plan costs $94.61/night for Adults (ages 10+), and $35.01/night for Children (ages 3-9), putting it between the cost for the current Standard and Deluxe Dining Plans. The plan includes (per night of stay):

• 2 Meals — Any combination of Table-Service and Quick-Service
  • 2 Snacks/Nonalcoholic Drinks
  • One Resort-Refillable Drink Mug

Anne

Pricing is available now. I think the DxDP, while more expensive at $119/day, is a better value, adding an extra meal per day plus three appetizers. Since only one of us gets the Plan and we divvy up the credits between the two of us, sometimes sharing the appetizer and dessert and augmenting the other’s meal with an entree, it’s a better deal for us. This new plan only includes drink/entree/dessert, like the regular DP.

The new Dining Plan Plus Plan costs $94.61/night for Adults (ages 10+), and $35.01/night for Children (ages 3-9), putting it between the cost for the current Standard and Deluxe Dining Plans. The plan includes (per night of stay):

• 2 Meals — Any combination of Table-Service and Quick-Service
  • 2 Snacks/Nonalcoholic Drinks
  • One Resort-Refillable Drink Mug
I just finished pricing out the new plan for our upcoming March trip. Deluxe will still work better for what we are doing. But if we didn't have a large group that was planning to share deluxe credits then we would consider the plus plan.

dfbdisney2020

Thank you all for your advice / help and sorry for my delay in response. We ended up with:

Sunday dinner : via napoli (which we might cancel, but figured it’d be easier to cancel then try to book a reservation day of)
Monday : late show of HDD
Tuesday: lunch reservation at BOG
Thursday: dinner at yak and yeti

Other nights maybe go somewhere else in Epcot or around the boardwalk

we also aren’t sure of our day to day plans, so I made a reservation at Oga’s Cantina for a few different days.

again, thank you all for your insight!

deedee73

Don’t forget Hoop prices include gratuity. Sometimes one only looks at the cost of the meal without realizing they’re still going to pay 20% OOP once the check arrives. Not so with the dinner shows
Unless I am mistaken none of the meals including the shows and Royal Table - Cinderella's Castle include gratuities anymore. This was changed not that long ago. The three I listed were the last that I knew still included the gratuities; however, according to the 2020 descriptions of the plans this is no lo get true.

George

Unless I am mistaken none of the meals including the shows and Royal Table - Cinderella's Castle include gratuities anymore. This was changed not that long ago. The three I listed were the last that I knew still included the gratuities; however, according to the 2020 descriptions of the plans this is no lo get true.

So they essentially had a nice 20%+ rice increase. Why am I not surprised?